Biggest spending managers.

4 minutes ago, Kincardine_Mearns_Red said:

No idea, but I know he cost AFC £175000 from Birmingham City we would have been as well throwing the money in fire! The rot and decline was starting too set in even before Milne became chairman.

It coincided with the hun bastard joining the board 

4 hours ago, jamiesd said:

Ray fucking McKinnon. On paper could have been great. Absolute waster. Him Brian O’Neill, Derek Whyte, Newell just shite. Kane was never as bad as people remember in my opinion. Always thankful for his goal at Ibrox. 

I mind the big fuss when McKinnon came with the reputation as the next best thing. Same as Gillies. Both absolutely fucking shite. 

Agree about Kane, always thought he was nae bad. 

Newell moved like an 80yr old on the pitch. Utterly useless. Iirc i think i did see him score for us tho.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Simply Red said:

I mind the big fuss when McKinnon came with the reputation as the next best thing. Same as Gillies. Both absolutely fucking shite. 

Agree about Kane, always thought he was nae bad. 

Newell moved like an 80yr old on the pitch. Utterly useless. Iirc i think i did see him score for us tho.

I saw him score a diving header down at Tynecastle which was a piece of artistry. Shame we ended up losing 4-1 that day after going ahead.

Scored at iprix that season (3-3) as well as Boghead (5-1 win), IIRC.

11 hours ago, ericblack4boss said:

During a wee while I was bored I tried to work out who was the biggest spending Aberdeen manager.

It appears that Roy Aitken was the culprit of the biggest waster of cash in our history

Alex Smith.

Snelders 300,000.

Mason 200.000

Cameron 250,000

Winnie 300,000

Gillhaus 600,000

Robertson 150,000

Kane 300,000

Gibson. 30,000

G Smith 200,000

Willie Miller

Paatelainen 400,000

MacKinnon 300,000

Hetherston 200,000

J Miller 150.000

Woodthorpe 300,000

Inglis 500,000

Dodds 650,000

Shearer 600,000

Richardson 150,000

Aitken 

Kounbuare 300,000

Kiriakov 400,000

Tzvetanov 600,000

Gillies 300,000

O Neil 600,000

Bernard 1,000,000

Windass 650,000

Walker 100,000

Nae doubt I've missed some out , 

But the money that  maroon haired hoor was allowed  to spunk away was a disgrace 

The flip side of how much Aitken spent was how little Alex Fucking Miller brought in.

For every pound Aitken overspent, Miller undersold.

Lost out on some players going in both directions

7 hours ago, NEM said:

Would he fuck 😂

Fat ugly Hibs cunt was shite although he did get on the end of a wonderful move to score on my first visit to snake mountain, cracking finish.

Kane was fucking dreadful. 

Only time I've ever seen a team mate shake their head in disgust was when Kane tried to control a simple throw in and failed. 

• Upvote 1
54 minutes ago, RabidGiraffe said:

The flip side of how much Aitken spent was how little Alex Fucking Miller brought in.

For every pound Aitken overspent, Miller undersold.

Lost out on some players going in both directions

Graeme Kavanagh, we spent weeks refusing to spend the additional 50- 100 grand that would have got the deal done

On 12/26/2023 at 1:47 PM, Kincardine_Mearns_Red said:

Aitkens talent spotting for shyte was legendary put this club back decades financially with his spending spree as for Newell only things I remember about him was he was not only shite ability wise but shite attitude wise as well another joker who should never have been given the chance to wear our proud red shirt, Woodthorpe was another one but think he was signed by Willie Miller.

What always stood out for me, every time I looked back on that decade from Miller's failed (too much too soon?) rebuild in the Summer of 1994 up to around 2004, is that some of the players we signed were regarded as a coup at the time. Sure, Woodthorpe and McKinnon et al were NEVER high profile players to begin with and their failure was no surprise, but the two Bulgarians had proven themselves at a high level internationally, while Gillies was a hot young prospect being tracked by several EPL sides. While past their best, the likes of Newell and Whelan also came with a pedigree. We can also curse at O'Neill, but he went on to have a decent career in Germany. 

The common denominator was shyte managers, who simply failed to inspire, far less get the best out of, players who otherwise were decent and would have done a job for us.

On 12/26/2023 at 2:04 PM, NEM said:

It coincided with the hun bastard joining the board 

The Wig Wam Bam is the worst thing that ever happened to AFC. From the white elephant of the RDS, to the subsequent crumbling of the rest of the stadium, to a succession of horrendous managerial appointments, crippling debt and 19 years without a trophy... The apologists who used to say "aye, but if it wisnae fur him, the banks, yada yada yada" neglect to mention it was that teuchter corrupt sparkie bampot that ran up said debts in the first place via the aforementioned mismanagement of the Club. 

• Upvote 2

Some blasts from the past. 

Airken was well supported after we came 3rd, won league cup and reached Scottish semi. Thing is warning signs were sounding after our terrible performance at Hampden v hearts. 

New season was a mess. Mind a 0-0 with Kilmarnock where it became clear we’d built a team unable to create chances or score goals before Nicky walker took over. Shambles of a keeper. 

A miller was chaos. Fans never wanted him. Board were burnt by inexperienced manager and wanted an experienced manager who didn’t spend. That era of shite managers set us back hugely and the loss of money dented Milne ambition. Afc basically went from aspiring to existing team.