I think this could be a very good appointment, but only if Cormack's ego and the "Football Monitoring Board" allow him to come in and do a root and branch analysis of the management of the Club. His vast experience could well be invaluable in pinpointing where we are going wrong and what we need to do to rectify it. 

If it works out, I'd be happy to see him stay on beyond the summer to either extend his contract by 1/2 years, or move into a Director of Football type role, where he not only has a hand in choosing (and guiding) his successor, but uses his vast contacts to improve the playing squad.

So Cormack, put your ego to one side and let's see what this man can do for us.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Jocky Balboa said:

I think this could be a very good appointment, but only if Cormack's ego and the "Football Monitoring Board" allow him to come in and do a root and branch analysis of the management of the Club. His vast experience could well be invaluable in pinpointing where we are going wrong and what we need to do to rectify it. 

If it works out, I'd be happy to see him stay on beyond the summer to either extend his contract by 1/2 years, or move into a Director of Football type role, where he not only has a hand in choosing (and guiding) his successor, but uses his vast contacts to improve the playing squad.

So Cormack, put your ego to one side and let's see what this man can do for us.

And there it is. Talking about contract extensions etc already. No offence but I’d rather the club made a real effort to get a proper manager in that’s not here just for the craic.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

And there it is. Talking about contract extensions etc already. No offence but I’d rather the club made a real effort to get a proper manager in that’s not here just for the craic.

With all due respect, I said *IF* it works out, I'd be happy with an extension. 

2 hours ago, Rico1903 said:

I’m surprised Data Dave is keen on Warnock. 

“And you modern guys, you youngsters. It’s all data and that”. 

Here’s hoping his man management skills get Duk and Clarkson back to their best. 

https://twitter.com/petercrouchpod/status/1742487490349441502?s=46&t=Z_HLeZlJIrO3optaOoLy6Q

Would you disagree with his comments in that clip? Not sure I would. I wouldn't say any of our last three managers have been good man managers, McInnes before that certainly was.

The use of data in modern football recruitment is about marginal gains. Why would a club our size nowadays overspend on UK-based players when largely the risk is the same when looking overseas? It's all educated guess work but I think we're doing the right thing with our blended approach.

But the reality is we have a good squad that we've not got the best out of and for me there's no doubt a better man manager (and tactician) would. Warnock on paper is both. It buys the club time until it figures out what the hell it's doing.

23 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

The club don’t have a fucking strategy ffs. Have you been under a rock? 

THEY ARE LOOKING AT ALL ASPECTS OF THE CLUB AND DOING A FULL REVIEW OF EVERYTHING AS THE CLUB IS FAILING. 

Therefor - they need a manager to take over for 4 months to oversee things until summer. 

Some people on here are fucking brain dead.

Amazing what you believe the club is doing about a full review. Looks like you have been taken in by that smokescreen. Again you insult people with other views to you. Keep to buying fruit and canning it.

• Downvote 1
  • Dildo 2
12 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

The club don’t have a fucking strategy ffs. Have you been under a rock? 

THEY ARE LOOKING AT ALL ASPECTS OF THE CLUB AND DOING A FULL REVIEW OF EVERYTHING AS THE CLUB IS FAILING. 

Therefor - they need a manager to take over for 4 months to oversee things until summer. 

Some people on here are fucking brain dead.

The club include a strategic report in the annual accounts - here’s a link to the one published at the end of last year.

https://d12bijpmbcc9cc.cloudfront.net/aberdeen2022/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/18075200/Annual-Report-2023.pdf

Appreciate there are unconfirmed rumours of getting consultants in, but I’d assume that is going to focus on how to deliver the strategy as opposed to what it should be. However, apologies if I’ve been under a rock and missed the official confirmation of the review and it’s stated aims.

Anyway, appreciate you’ve a different view and I hope Warnock works out if he’s appointed, as there’s still things to achieve in the next 4 months.

30 minutes ago, red kelly said:

i take it your a fully payed up member of the ingsoc  MSM.
good for you.

A great year for Aberdeen. I am surprised Aberdeen haven't cottoned on to the MAGA thing already, it would sell pretty well I would think and the fucker will be back in power in less than a year to help promote it!

4 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

How can anyone know that. Sure he knows the English game inside out but who knows what he knows about things up here?

There's been quite a few managers over the decades come up from down south and underestimated how good things are in Scotland (actually probably more accurately over-estimated how good the English game was in comparison to Scotland) resulting in them bringing up players into their squads who it quickly proved were nowhere near good enough and resulting in fairly short tenures at their clubs.....I'm thinking Heckingarse at Hibs, Warburton to an extent at sevco, funniest of all Macari at Celtic 30 years ago. Of course whoever gets it can't bring in any players now other than free agents anyway....so at least they can't make the same mistakes as those I've named.

If he is appointed he'll get my support but I just have the suspicion it has the potential to be a fucking disaster

His hands will be tied with the window being slammed shut. 
I’ll go out on a whim here, he’ll be the best manager since that bastard that flirted with rangers. 

28 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

So just to clarify, we are quite happy with the club just having a laugh now? Europe probably gone, top six even going to take some effort but as long as old Neil gives us some funny interviews and shouts at players it’s all good?

Well the manager that just left , laughed and spun his head 360 degrees at interviews , so we are used to it. 

• Dildo 1
36 minutes ago, Torry Tosser said:

When the lockdowns were going on,him and his  wife where they lived in Devon,donated thousands to keep their local animal rescue centres going.

So for that he's a fuckin top bloke in my opinion.

Well, he did rescue that dirty fucking animal Diouf's career when it was only going one way on the road back to Senegalese Pro League, this being after he likened Diouf to a vole, so I suppose Watnocm has a knack for helping beasts and contributing to their sanctuary.

27 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

I havent said anything about Warnock. 

You pushed forward a 1990s Aberdeen defender as your number 1 choice (34% and 15% win ratios in his last 2 jobs).

As for the clubs strategy. Warnock is here for barely 3 months while the clubs strategy is looked at and likely changed. Hope this helps.

Can you articulate why Kombouare is your choice? 

Fair enough.

On Kombouare, as before I’m not wedded to him and I’d expect the club to be looking across the market. However the reasons someone like him would interest me are:

- He’s won cups in his managerial career and I want Aberdeen to win things.

- He’s get a reputation for developing youth and playing attractive football, which I think Aberdeen should be doing.

On his win percentages I’d accept they don’t look great recently but I’d add the following context:

- His recent jobs have seen him take charge of teams at the bottom of the French top league. He’s kept those teams up but doesn’t have great win % as a consequence. If he’d got relegated I suspect he’d have better numbers as his typically got promoted when not in the top league.

-When in charge of clubs who were not in real relegation trouble when he took charge he’s got more decent win percentages.
- He maybe draws too much for longer term roles against his peers which lowers his win percentage but also lowers his lose percentage. Not losing in part links to why he’s had some success in cups.

I accepts he’s far from perfect, but I put his name out there as it’s easy to criticise and not offer an alternate and I didn’t want to do that. For me that sort of appointing shows some logic, which I struggle to see with some of the other suggestions.

It really doesn't matter about the manager, it's really all about the style of play and the results. Sure the position and personality of the manager is important of course it is but at the end of the day you could appoint 100 different people and get 100 different outcomes. Is he the best that's available ? Probably not. Is he the best that our FMB can come up with ? Probably. Dave will probably throw a lot of money at this one because the previous experiments have been craptacular failures. I guess we'll find out in May how this one pans out but maybe having Warnock in opens a door for more experienced managers to turn their heads and have a look at us rather than us having to lift our skirt to get attention. What's the worst that can happen ? We're not going to get relegated. We're too good for that. Not qualifying for Europe and being back at square one come May ? 

31 minutes ago, Rubinho Escocia said:

The club include a strategic report in the annual accounts - here’s a link to the one published at the end of last year.

https://d12bijpmbcc9cc.cloudfront.net/aberdeen2022/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/18075200/Annual-Report-2023.pdf

Appreciate there are unconfirmed rumours of getting consultants in, but I’d assume that is going to focus on how to deliver the strategy as opposed to what it should be. However, apologies if I’ve been under a rock and missed the official confirmation of the review and it’s stated aims.

Anyway, appreciate you’ve a different view and I hope Warnock works out if he’s appointed, as there’s still things to achieve in the next 4 months.

Yeah, good post.

Sorry, Gman pissed me off so much I forget other people are normal. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, dj_bollocks said:

It really doesn't matter about the manager, it's really all about the style of play and the results. Sure the position and personality of the manager is important of course it is but at the end of the day you could appoint 100 different people and get 100 different outcomes. Is he the best that's available ? Probably not. Is he the best that our FMB can come up with ? Probably. Dave will probably throw a lot of money at this one because the previous experiments have been craptacular failures. I guess we'll find out in May how this one pans out but maybe having Warnock in opens a door for more experienced managers to turn their heads and have a look at us rather than us having to lift our skirt to get attention. What's the worst that can happen ? We're not going to get relegated. We're too good for that. Not qualifying for Europe and being back at square one come May ? 

Too good for relegation? Fine margins that. This team is just as capable of finishing 11th & losing a play off as Hearts were of capitulating & losing a 10/11 point lead for 3rd last season. 

This side is not ‘too good’ for relegation yet. Would be a shock for sure but it ‘could’ happen once a few more shite results affect confidence 

I've hummed and hawed about this, and while I'm not a fan of short term solutions, and think it's embarrassing that the club didn't at least have the wheels in motion for a permanent replacement when they sacked Baz, I think Warnock is a great appointment.

It'll draw some attention to the club and the league, there's no question he'll get us playing without fear at the very least, and he has a decent track record. Not absolutely ideal, but as far as interims go I'm happy enough.

11 hours ago, redone said:

We're in Glasgow , aahn't we ?!

A swear jar to replace Aberdna. 

How does such a short term appt hope to make his mark and motivate the players without them thinking “you’ll be gone in a few months old man, I’m just going to ignore you”?

Hope it goes well obviously and we get Europe and a cup win but I see us sliding slowly inexorably towards tin pot status.