Aberdeen 3 - 3 Motherwell

11 hours ago, daytripping said:

Clear fresh air would be better, offside was never intended for this.

11 hours ago, HaarDon said:

It should be measured at the feet because you run with your feet not with anything else therefore feet determine the advantage.

Neither of these will help. It will just create the same issue with where you draw the lines.

The correct way to resolve this is forget drawing lines completely.  VAR should allow 15 seconds to review replays and if the guys watching the monitors cannot tell with any certainty within 15 seconds whether it is offside, the onfield decision stands.

It means refs and linesmen go back to actually making decisions rather than being fannies and leaving it to VAR, and it also means if it is a really marginal call where someone's toenail might be offside, then it stays with the onfield decision.

That way, the completely wrong calls will still get corrected but the very marginal ones that can't be seen with the naked eye get left to the officials in real time.

Speeds the game up and deals with the obviously wrong decisions.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, robbojunior said:

Neither of these will help. It will just create the same issue with where you draw the lines.

The correct way to resolve this is forget drawing lines completely.  VAR should allow 15 seconds to review replays and if the guys watching the monitors cannot tell with any certainty within 15 seconds whether it is offside, the onfield decision stands.

It means refs and linesmen go back to actually making decisions rather than being fannies and leaving it to VAR, and it also means if it is a really marginal call where someone's toenail might be offside, then it stays with the onfield decision.

That way, the completely wrong calls will still get corrected but the very marginal ones that can't be seen with the naked eye get left to the officials in real time.

Speeds the game up and deals with the obviously wrong decisions.

Discussed this last night.  It went back to the rugby call on Saturday - the ball looked down, seemed to be down but couldn’t definitively be proven to be down - no score.  The Lino gave offside last night.  If it can’t be (quickly) “proven” should it default to no goal, or stick with the decision.  My problem being the latter still seems very arbitrary.

4 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Discussed this last night.  It went back to the rugby call on Saturday - the ball looked down, seemed to be down but couldn’t definitively be proven to be down - no score.  The Lino gave offside last night.  If it can’t be (quickly) “proven” should it default to no goal, or stick with the decision.  My problem being the latter still seems very arbitrary.

It comes down to what we are trying to achieve.  If we want absolute precision then they need to pay for the very best tech and accept it takes time to reach decisions that are absolutely correct.

Given that is clearly never going to happen in Scotland due to cost and also ruins the game experience, your other option is, to avoid clear and obvious errors and keep the game flowing.  In which case, let the referees and linesmen make the call in real time, correct the really obvious fuck ups and accept the marginal ones sometimes might be wrong.

In my opinion, the second option is the best solution. If someone is offside by 2 millimetres and the ref gets it wrong well fuck me, shit happens.  If someone is 4 yards off and the ref gets it wrong, overrule it by looking at a replay within 10 seconds and job done.

Same for every other decision on the park.  Handball, tackles the lot.  If someone watching a replay is still in any doubt after a couple of replays and 10-15 seconds, let it go.  If you can't be sure after 10-15 seconds of seeing replays, it was never a clear and obvious error.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
13 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

G-Man and Ernie doing backflips to try make sure everyone knows Warnock fucked up after defending a manager who fucked up for 6 months is great reading.

Morons.

As usual great use of the English language. 

14 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

G-Man and Ernie doing backflips to try make sure everyone knows Warnock fucked up after defending a manager who fucked up for 6 months is great reading.

Morons.

Everyone with any sense could see it was a disaster going to happen last night. Doesn’t need me saying it . This is a forum to discuss issues is it not?The first 30 minutes was the worst Aberdeen performance l have seen in many years. Fact.

• Upvote 2

Ĝod that back 3 are useless . Morris has played right wing back before and he was pretty hopeless at it. McGrath as left wing back was as bad just Motherwell were having such fun down our right they chose not to go that side. Polvara wide left ? Really ? 

So many average players played out of position because one player is ill. Staggering really.

• Upvote 5
11 minutes ago, G man said:

Everyone with any sense could see it was a disaster going to happen last night. Doesn’t need me saying it . This is a forum to discuss issues is it not?The first 30 minutes was the worst Aberdeen performance l have seen in many years. Fact.

Why didn’t you criticise Robson for similar set ups? He lost 3-0 to St Mirren at home so surely Warnock is better if he managed to get a draw? 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Why didn’t you criticise Robson for similar set ups? He lost 3-0 to St Mirren at home so surely Warnock is better if he managed to get a draw? 

The only person to blame last night was warnock. That setup was chaos. Can’t mind st mirren game now to be honest. 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
16 minutes ago, G man said:

Difference will be Warnock gambled on it for 30 minutes and realised was stupid. Barry did it game after game and was still defended by some 

1 minute ago, RUL said:

The only person to blame last night was warnock. That setup was chaos. Can’t mind st mirren game now to be honest. 

Drivel. They could be set up in any formation possible and shouldn’t ship 3 goals in 30 minutes. 

Yes it didn’t work but it takes an especially idiotic group to lose 3 that quickly. Morris was just about responsible for all 3.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, G man said:

It is not a tirade against Warnock l think he as well as the other three managers have been powerless to bring in their own players. In Warnock’s case  l cannot see why he has not gone to the free market for at least two players.

Maybe he has been told there's no budget 

Or maybe there's no one he wants, or people approached haven't wanted to come. 

He can't just bring people in without getting approval for the spend. 

3 hours ago, G man said:

It is not a tirade against Warnock l think he as well as the other three managers have been powerless to bring in their own players. In Warnock’s case  l cannot see why he has not gone to the free market for at least two players.

21 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

To have any chance of 4th place or Cup success the present squad is just not good enough. Cannot see out of contract players would rather sit at home rather than put them selves in the shop window to secure a summer deal somewhere. For the same reason cannot think wage demands would be unrealistic.

39 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

I said after the St Mirren game that a change was needed. I also stick by what l said that the first half hour last night was the worst performance l have seen from an Aberdeen team in many years.

11 minutes ago, G man said:

I said after the St Mirren game that a change was needed. I also stick by what l said that the first half hour last night was the worst performance l have seen from an Aberdeen team in many years.

Aye Robbo has left us in some state. 

34 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

& Clarkson hit the bar I believe 

That chance should have been made with his left foot but instead he twisted his body to use the outside of his right leg. Frustrates the feck out of me when I see that. You've got two feet for fucksake!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Dad said:

I cannae mind getting coming back from 3 down in the last pffffttt.... 10 years?

Terrific 👍

Last time we gained league points from such a position was 1951 or something. 

We can take the good with the bad in equal measure last night.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, G man said:

To have any chance of 4th place or Cup success the present squad is just not good enough. Cannot see out of contract players would rather sit at home rather than put them selves in the shop window to secure a summer deal somewhere. For the same reason cannot think wage demands would be unrealistic.

Tbh not sure about this squad because most of them can be good or even very good in some games or even parts of games but only Myovski is consistently good.What I  don't know is who is actually the guy who makes the decision on signing a player?Is it the manager or is it a collective decision ?

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, ERNIE said:

Tbh not sure about this squad because most of them can be good or even very good in some games or even parts of games but only Myovski is consistently good.What I  don't know is who is actually the guy who makes the decision on signing a player?Is it the manager or is it a collective decision ?

It has been the failing all season- lack of consistency. Not sure who is responsible for signings but think it is less likely to be the manager than was the case in previous times.

8 minutes ago, ERNIE said:

It'll go something a little like this Ernie.

Gunn and the manager will sit down and talk about tactics and formation, what sort of players he would life, they'd then involve the head of recruitment who will take what they want then have a look for players that fit that description.

After they find some players 4 or 5 for each position will be shown to the manager and director of football, from there they will work out who they want, that player will have to meet an 'eye test' where Gunn and the manager will watch them more in depth to see if they are the right fit.

9 minutes ago, minijc said:

It'll go something a little like this Ernie.

Gunn and the manager will sit down and talk about tactics and formation, what sort of players he would life, they'd then involve the head of recruitment who will take what they want then have a look for players that fit that description.

After they find some players 4 or 5 for each position will be shown to the manager and director of football, from there they will work out who they want, that player will have to meet an 'eye test' where Gunn and the manager will watch them more in depth to see if they are the right fit.

Thanks.Any idea why the results of the process vary so much?

2 minutes ago, ERNIE said:

Thanks.Any idea why the results of the process vary so much?

I guess it's just how recruitment goes, you won't get every signing right unfortunately.  We ended up with Morris and Richardson because Goodwin put emphasis on finding quick, athletic players.  With Robson I think we missed out on a few of our top targets, he wanted to stick with his formation so we signed guys for that formation now the squad is unbalanced but that isn't all on him, gormless Gunner should have twigged.

6 minutes ago, minijc said:

I guess it's just how recruitment goes, you won't get every signing right unfortunately.  We ended up with Morris and Richardson because Goodwin put emphasis on finding quick, athletic players.  With Robson I think we missed out on a few of our top targets, he wanted to stick with his formation so we signed guys for that formation now the squad is unbalanced but that isn't all on him, gormless Gunner should have twigged.

We seem to have signed quite a few erratic players.Take Roos Clarkson Duk for example.All 3 have been both terrible and great for us....sometimes even in the same game.