Relegation dogfight

Will Aberdeen be relegated?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will Aberdeen be relegated?

• Yes
    • No

32 minutes ago, Willo flood said:

Oh aye. Still a very hard run of fixtures in comparison to ourselves 

Hmmm…our form is that pish, I’m not so sure! Dundee x2, Motherwell, county and livi…maybe 6 points from that. 

2 hours ago, Dandys1983 said:

Livi and County will struggle to make up the points, that's my thoughts, but Warnock has to move away from hoof ball, the selection yesterday was petty good, don't actually know what else he's changing as he's not much to work with:

Could try a 4-4-2 against Killie, or just stick with the St Mirren line up 

Roos

Devlin Gartenmann Macdonald McKenzie

Hoilett Shinnie Barron Duk

Sokler Miovski 

I think if we kept the ball on the ground more we might get a few more points. 

Yes, changing 3/4 players every start needs to stop now imo

Let the starters gain confidence by playing in an unchanged side, and only mix it up tactically, or because of injuries, during game time

It wasn't pretty, however keeping the starting 11 as per St Mirren might not be a bad place to begin

Nothing we've done has worked, and a settled side just might

Just now, NorfolkDandy said:

Yes, changing 3/4 players every start needs to stop now imo

Let the starters gain confidence by playing in an unchanged side, and only mix it up tactically, or because of injuries, during game time

It wasn't pretty, however keeping the starting 11 as per St Mirren might not be a bad place to begin

Nothing we've done has worked, and a settled side just might

Honestly think if we moved the ball fast which the players can do we would win games easily just think somehow getting someone up top along side Miovski might threaten alot of defences that we are going to face in the next few months, I'd even give Duncan a shot out wide again with Duk up alongside Miovski again, but I think against Killie only player I'd change would be Mackenzie if fit.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Dandys1983 said:

Honestly think if we moved the ball fast which the players can do we would win games easily just think somehow getting someone up top along side Miovski might threaten alot of defences that we are going to face in the next few months, I'd even give Duncan a shot out wide again with Duk up alongside Miovski again, but I think against Killie only player I'd change would be Mackenzie if fit.

Yes, again I agree, and we have done that at times, just nowhere near enough

Confidence helps, and that's where having our best available settled 11 from here on in would work imo

Keep it simple and don't over think the opposition I guess.....

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, NorfolkDandy said:

Yes, again I agree, and we have done that at times, just nowhere near enough

Confidence helps, and that's where having our best available settled 11 from here on in would work imo

Keep it simple and don't over think the opposition I guess.....

Yeah we are trying to make things hard, I think not really having a settled side all season hasn't helped especially a centre defensive partnership that's been a huge issue imo as if you get that right you can then build on that, something a new manager in the summer will have to work on.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Dandys1983 said:

Yeah we are trying to make things hard, I think not really having a settled side all season hasn't helped especially a centre defensive partnership that's been a huge issue imo as if you get that right you can then build on that, something a new manager in the summer will have to work on.

The ‘Robson Run’ that so him get the job full time was very much off the backs of our back three in Pollock/McDonald and Scales. We’ve clearly not reached that level of quality with the replacements and the fucking mind blowing mistakes have cost us points and confidence all season. Whichever lucky lucky man gets the job next would do well to start again at the back. Barron being offski, the damaging lack of replacement for Ramalamadingdong an aging Shinnie means we are seriously looking at the third rebuild in as many years with the front line likely bereft of both Miovski and Duk. No European campaign money next season makes it even trickier to hire and afford. 

Our head of recruitment better have his shit together. 

fuck that’s depressing to read back. Impossible situation. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, TerryMcDermott said:

The ‘Robson Run’ that so him get the job full time was very much off the backs of our back three in Pollock/McDonald and Scales. We’ve clearly not reached that level of quality with the replacements and the fucking mind blowing mistakes have cost us points and confidence all season. Whichever lucky lucky man gets the job next would do well to start again at the back. Barron being offski, the damaging lack of replacement for Ramalamadingdong an aging Shinnie means we are seriously looking at the third rebuild in as many years with the front line likely bereft of both Miovski and Duk. No European campaign money next season makes it even trickier to hire and afford. 

I think this summer is massive for us, I do believe a decent experienced manager ( that don't mean old btw)  would make a huge difference to the club and the way it's run from top to bottom, though I do think we do alot of things right behind the scenes it's just the end product in the pitch that's the major issue but as a business AFC has improved alot in recent years, so I think if we get this manager appointment right and without the burden of Europe we might actually do pretty good next season, but that does all hinge on the right appointments this time.

4 minutes ago, TerryMcDermott said:

I should add that im not convinced Clarkson will be here next season either. 

Depends on the new man's footballing philosophy but he's a luxury player and too lightweight for me, but I'd happily have him pulling the strings with a hard man along side him also.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Dandys1983 said:

I think this summer is massive for us, I do believe a decent experienced manager ( that don't mean old btw)  would make a huge difference to the club and the way it's run from top to bottom, though I do think we do alot of things right behind the scenes it's just the end product in the pitch that's the major issue but as a business AFC has improved alot in recent years, so I think if we get this manager appointment right and without the burden of Europe we might actually do pretty good next season, but that does all hinge on the right appointments this time.

What can possibly go wrong when we have our illustrious Football Monitoring Board taking care of things? 

spacer.png

• Haha 4
  • Dildo 1
3 hours ago, King Street Loon said:

We won't finish bottom or second bottom.

We're pish, but there are two other teams worse than us at the moment.

I'm sure the club will put your 'at the moment' theory to the test

They are a better team on paper than Ross County and Livingston and many of the teams above them. The problem being where are the wins coming from - 6 wins in total so far out of 28 with 10 games remaining? In 1994/95, that team finished on 42 points with 10 wins, albeit in a better ten team league and with a much better goal difference. 

2 hours ago, TerryMcDermott said:

We need to go and sign the best 5 or 6 players in the league out with the arse cheeks. Your Spittals , Armstrongs etc whatever it's up for debate . But we need to make sure next season is not another car crash 

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, redstrummer said:

We need to go and sign the best 5 or 6 players in the league out with the arse cheeks. Your Spittals , Armstrongs etc whatever it's up for debate . But we need to make sure next season is not another car crash 

5 or 6 is maybe extreme but hey maybe extreme is required.

What I wanted them to do last summer was sign 10 players with 3 or 4 being OMG huge signings, 3 or 4 being established spfl players and 3 or 4 prospects to develop

Stick to that this summer and we wouldnt go far wrong

34 minutes ago, theyear2000relegated said:

Livingston are so bad I think we are safe

We need Ross County to be worse than us too. 

Anyone thinking we're strolling a play-off against a Championship team carrying momentum into that play-off is profoundly deluded. 

We're safe if we secure 10th. 

Jesus, that's depressing. 

20 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

We need Ross County to be worse than us too. 

Anyone thinking we're strolling a play-off against a Championship team carrying momentum into that play-off is profoundly deluded. 

We're safe if we secure 10th. 

Jesus, that's depressing. 

To be fair, we were really unlucky in the last game 

I'm old enough to remember 1975 when we almost got relegated, yet within 18 months we'd won the League Cup. All it took was a manager with enough enthusiasm and confidence that got the players playing for him, and the club.

I feel that pretty much all the managers since Ferguson have been "well, we can't do +that+ any more so let's see what happens".  (With the exception of Alex Smith and Jocky Scott IMHO). Skill is important, confidence is also crucial.

I coached school boy football back in the mid 1990s and early 2000s and for sure, there's a "softness" there that wasn't there when I was trying to get a game for a team at their age in the early 1970s, but having said that the current AFC pool should be doing a LOT better.

I'm not giving up on the Dons (never will), but I have to say this is the most worried I've been.

• Upvote 4

Obviously the nature of the result on Saturday was devastating so I’m not going to criticise folk for venting but we need to dust ourselves off and get behind the team.   It’s one thing being negative and critical when the team is underperforming but it’s another when we’re in a fight for survival. 

Everyone has a part to play. If you’re not up for it how can you expect the players to be?

At the risk of sounding a bit gay and new agey practice some mental hygiene. Everyone is worried that we’re in a downward spiral. Don’t express it. Pishing your pants online will only add to the general state of cancerous desperation seeping through the club. Stay positive. Come on you Reds, heid first!!!

8 hours ago, Tord31 said:

5 or 6 is maybe extreme but hey maybe extreme is required.

What I wanted them to do last summer was sign 10 players with 3 or 4 being OMG huge signings, 3 or 4 being established spfl players and 3 or 4 prospects to develop

Stick to that this summer and we wouldnt go far wrong

It’s expected that Roos/Barron/Duk/Miovski/Hoilett/Phillips from Saturday team will all be gone next season. You’ve then potentially also got Gartermann not staying. 

we are seriously going to need a huge rebuild hopefully fuelled by Ferguson sell on fee as well. Depressing thought wondering what obscure shite we will be watching next season.

8 hours ago, sandypom said:

I'm old enough to remember 1975 when we almost got relegated, yet within 18 months we'd won the League Cup. All it took was a manager with enough enthusiasm and confidence that got the players playing for him, and the club.

I feel that pretty much all the managers since Ferguson have been "well, we can't do +that+ any more so let's see what happens".  (With the exception of Alex Smith and Jocky Scott IMHO). Skill is important, confidence is also crucial.

I coached school boy football back in the mid 1990s and early 2000s and for sure, there's a "softness" there that wasn't there when I was trying to get a game for a team at their age in the early 1970s, but having said that the current AFC pool should be doing a LOT better.

I'm not giving up on the Dons (never will), but I have to say this is the most worried I've been.

Absolutely spot on.

Although not from the west of Scotland my father's work ensured that my early football playing memories as a young kid in the late 60's/early 70's were on blaes pitches.

When we eventually moved to Aberdeen I often played on rock solid frozen pitches.

There is no doubt that both surfaces toughened you up and gave you a strong will to win character.

My son got his strong competitive edge from me but the majority of his peers were never either up or down if they got beat. 

That general lack of spirit manifests itself in many of today's footballers, of which we seem to have quite a few of at this time.

Having bottle should be part of the recruitment process?

• Like 1
On 3/4/2024 at 1:07 AM, sandypom said:

Was actually 1976 when we avoided relegation on last day of the 75-76 season by beating Hibs 3-0.

Relgated Dundee instead on goal difference by doing so.

Even though it seems like a different lifetime, I do remember it well.

Then it was just 6 months later we won the League Cup. My first time at Hampden. :trophy:

Though 100% agree with the point.

Being 6 months rather than 18 underlines it even more.

Practically the exact same thing happened again in 1995.

Avoided relegation by a fud hair, then a few month later lifting the League Cup again.

1976 >>> 1995 >>> 2024?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, muttonhumper said:

Was actually 1976 when we avoided relegation on last day of the 75-76 season by beating Hibs 3-0.

Relgated Dundee instead on goal difference by doing so.

Even though it seems like a different lifetime, I do remember it well.

Then it was just 6 months later we won the League Cup. My first time at Hampden. :trophy:

Though 100% agree with the point.

Being 6 months rather than 18 underlines it even more.

Practically the exact same thing happened again in 1995.

Avoided relegation by a fud hair, then a few month later lifting the League Cup again.

1976 >>> 1995 >>> 2024?

Hope no. Would be another 39 years before we get another one if this chain of events continues. 2063

Jesus.

• Haha 1