1 hour ago, Millertime said:

Eh?

Brown stayed at Celtic and didn't go down south and plenty on here ripped him for it saying he had no ambition or he was in his comfort zone

Perfectly fair question to ask

Take a day off bazooka chin 😴 

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, donswin1983 said:

100% correct. An utter legend. Best defender this shitty little country has ever produced.

nobody reads or read a game like God. A true legend and a brilliant footballer and leader. He is Aberdeen❤️

deserves a statue too. 

A real stain on the city that there are two statues of that hun rodent Law and none of God 

• Upvote 3
  • Dildo 1
2 hours ago, Millertime said:

Was there ever any proper rumours of him leaving?

The dead club supposedly made him an offer that he did consider. Think it was summer '82

They could match our basic pay but at that time no one could get anywhere near matching our bonus payments hence very few of our players at that point left for either of the arse cheeks even though a fair old chunk of our squad  were either from the Weeg or surrounding counties. (Dougie Bell did a few seasons later but we'd just signed Bett and he was told his game time would be limited at best)

3 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

The dead club supposedly made him an offer that he did consider. Think it was summer '82

They could match our basic pay but at that time no one could get anywhere near matching our bonus payments hence very few of our players at that point left for either of the arse cheeks even though a fair old chunk of our squad  were either from the Weeg or surrounding counties. (Dougie Bell did a few seasons later but we'd just signed Bett and he was told his game time would be limited at best)

Miller talked about Rangers interest as an after dinner speaker.

Said they offered him less money than he was in at Aberdeen, and he felt he had more chance of winning trophies at Pittodrie.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I’m not sure there was a massive difference in wages between the spl and division 1 in England at the time either? May be wrong and perhaps more of a gap at Liverpool in particular. Very much a level playing field back then. 

imagine a competitive league with no significant financial bias…never gonna happen again

1 hour ago, Millertime said:

Eh?

Brown stayed at Celtic and didn't go down south and plenty on here ripped him for it saying he had no ambition or he was in his comfort zone

Perfectly fair question to ask

It amazes me how often you make an absolute mortifying cunt of yourself on here and yet you never don’t come back for more (and often worse).  Genuinely astonishing sometimes.

• Haha 1
53 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Ta

18 minutes ago, Hoppy said:

It amazes me how often you make an absolute mortifying cunt of yourself on here and yet you never don’t come back for more (and often worse).  Genuinely astonishing sometimes.

The facts are true

You might not like it, but that's irrelevant

You can't slag brown for not wanting to test/better himself if our greatest ever player didn't either 

• Downvote 1
38 minutes ago, donswin1983 said:

I’m not sure there was a massive difference in wages between the spl and division 1 in England at the time either? May be wrong and perhaps more of a gap at Liverpool in particular. Very much a level playing field back then. 

imagine a competitive league with no significant financial bias…never gonna happen again

I remember seeing an interview with McLeish not so long ago where he said he had interest from Spurs and had decided to go.  He went to Fergie's office to tell him he wanted to leave wherein Fergie persuaded him London was a shithole and offered him a tenner a week raise, which McLeish accepted.

2 hours ago, NEM said:

A real stain on the city that there are two statues of that hun rodent Law and none of God 

I've never heard of Law being a Hun, hasn't he been on record several times saying he wishes he played for AFC? 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 3
  • Dildo 1
38 minutes ago, Millertime said:

@VinegarStrokes, appreciate your support

I've seen plenty on here slag Scott Brown off for that 

"If he's so good why didn't he go to England"

Seems the exact same could be levelled at our best ever

It's the hypocrisy that gets me

BOOOOOO 

To be fair MT I don't think it's a straight comparison.  Two players in very different eras.  Things were much more level in Miller's time.  As the captain of Aberdeen he was regularly competing in Europe and winning trophies.  There wasn't the huge gap between the top English and Scottish leagues.  There was no need to "prove yourself" down south.

For Brown at Celtic he was playing in a team that regularly won domestic trophies and made the group stages of European competitions.  I can understand his desire to stay at Celtic if he was only getting offers from teams at the bottom half of the EPL who were never going to win anything or compete in Europe.  I have no idea if he ever had offers from the "big" teams in the top half of the EPL who could win things.

I thought Brown was decent for us, he was an aging but good player in a poor team, but he will never achieve the god-like status of Miller (praise his holy 'tache)

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, donswin1983 said:

100% correct. An utter legend. Best defender this shitty little country has ever produced.

nobody reads or read a game like God. A true legend and a brilliant footballer and leader. He is Aberdeen❤️

deserves a statue too. 

This is set him apart for me. His timing in the tackle was also world class... even when he took opponents out! Class.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Granite95 said:

Been fortunate to meet him a few times, including at an event last year by the P&J, could listen to him speak for hours. 
Without a doubt the best Aberdeen player in our history imo 

Best I ever saw (although my Dad says Zoltan Varga!) and in my opinion sadly never got the real international recognition he deserved by staying with us and yes trophy of him with the cup in his hand should be a stonewall cert…. Hope you are listening Dave!!!

5 hours ago, shut up meg said:

The difference being that Miller didn't need to go out of Scotland to compete at the top, Scotland was playing at World Cups and Aberdeen were playing at the business end of European competition.

Brown was happy to play the odd  Champions League group game and act the hard man against the likes of Livvy and Hamilton whilst picking up a huge wage. 

Spot on our league was much more Competitive then with us and United doing consistently well in Europe. Not the stroll that the ugly sisters have due to the gulf in finances…

8 hours ago, Millertime said:

The facts are true

You might not like it, but that's irrelevant

You can't slag brown for not wanting to test/better himself if our greatest ever player didn't either 

That’s nonsense staying at the top in Scotland in the 80’s was as testing for a player as anywhere else. Our team was also constantly competing at the top in Europe why move elsewhere and give that up….

sadly too many people only know the one sided crap show our league has become they don’t remember just how competitive and more exciting the 80’s were…. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Dildo 1
7 hours ago, RabidGiraffe said:

To be fair MT I don't think it's a straight comparison.  Two players in very different eras.  Things were much more level in Miller's time.  As the captain of Aberdeen he was regularly competing in Europe and winning trophies.  There wasn't the huge gap between the top English and Scottish leagues.  There was no need to "prove yourself" down south.

For Brown at Celtic he was playing in a team that regularly won domestic trophies and made the group stages of European competitions.  I can understand his desire to stay at Celtic if he was only getting offers from teams at the bottom half of the EPL who were never going to win anything or compete in Europe.  I have no idea if he ever had offers from the "big" teams in the top half of the EPL who could win things.

I thought Brown was decent for us, he was an aging but good player in a poor team, but he will never achieve the god-like status of Miller (praise his holy 'tache)

Fair reply and makes sense 

Ta

1 hour ago, Gbe67 said:

That’s nonsense staying at the top in Scotland in the 80’s was as testing for a player as anywhere else. Our team was also constantly competing at the top in Europe why move elsewhere and give that up….

sadly too many people only know the one sided crap show our league has become they don’t remember just how competitive and more exciting the 80’s were…. 

Good explanation