7 hours ago, RabidGiraffe said:

To be fair MT I don't think it's a straight comparison.  Two players in very different eras.  Things were much more level in Miller's time.  As the captain of Aberdeen he was regularly competing in Europe and winning trophies.  There wasn't the huge gap between the top English and Scottish leagues.  There was no need to "prove yourself" down south.

For Brown at Celtic he was playing in a team that regularly won domestic trophies and made the group stages of European competitions.  I can understand his desire to stay at Celtic if he was only getting offers from teams at the bottom half of the EPL who were never going to win anything or compete in Europe.  I have no idea if he ever had offers from the "big" teams in the top half of the EPL who could win things.

I thought Brown was decent for us, he was an aging but good player in a poor team, but he will never achieve the god-like status of Miller (praise his holy 'tache)

Fair play to brown for staying where he did. He would have been on a massive salary at Celtic though. The difference in the 80’s was a few quid here and there, even moving from Scotland to England (maybe some exceptions). The various tiers in the game now mean the difference between Aberdeen and EPL teams is 5k a week - 100k per week. 
In my romantic head, God would have stayed regardless of the era, but today’s wage differences, back then, would have tested his resolve. 

Remember a Hearts game at Pittodrie, John Robertson with the ball about eight yards out, certain goal. Nope. Miller calmly TRAPPED the ball and passed it out. Cool as fek. Robertson left gobsmacked. In his day a world class player, because he played for Aberdeen sometimes overlooked by press.

• Upvote 2

Each generation will have a player that means Aberdeen to them. 

Having started watching Aberdeen from 77 (as a wee lad), I had lots to choose from. Looking back now, Miller wasn't my favourite player as it was all about goals and wingers back then. 

1983/1984 was when you started to appreciate exactly what Miller meant to Aberdeen. 

Miller/McLeish were the best central defensive partnership ever. 

Miller = God 

• Upvote 3

Did Karl Heinz Rumminegge not say Miller was the best he faced? Something along those lines. 

Reminds me of the old joke. 

Whilst commentating on match of the day, John Motson turns to Garth Crooks and asks "What do you think of that Rumminegge?" To which Garth Crooks replies "what rumour?" 

• Haha 2
10 hours ago, dazzy_deff said:

But but but the plastic man utd fans up here love him.

"I support them cos of fergie" fuck off

Don’t be silly dizzy-deff.  Law was the greatest player Scotland and Manchester United ever had.  And at the time in the 5Os Aberdeen Messed up big time when the AFC scouts were checking him out saying he was too skinny and had glasses and wouldn’t make it and didn’t sign him.   I myself don’t support Manchester a United and certainly not because of Ferguson , but there’s one thing they do and what AFC are not doing at the moment is play great football. And entertain. 

• Dildo 1
1 hour ago, perthshirered said:

Did Karl Heinz Rumminegge not say Miller was the best he faced? Something along those lines. 

Reminds me of the old joke. 

Whilst commentating on match of the day, John Motson turns to Garth Crooks and asks "What do you think of that Rumminegge?" To which Garth Crooks replies "what rumour?" 

He said Miller was the best Penalty box defender ever.

1 hour ago, AllyDon said:

Each generation will have a player that means Aberdeen to them. 

Having started watching Aberdeen from 77 (as a wee lad), I had lots to choose from. Looking back now, Miller wasn't my favourite player as it was all about goals and wingers back then. 

1983/1984 was when you started to appreciate exactly what Miller meant to Aberdeen. 

Miller/McLeish were the best central defensive partnership ever. 

Miller = God 

Would just add to that. I forgot just how attacking he was (think he started life as a striker)  until I watched the highlights of an old cup final and I swear he was more like an attacking midfielder he was in the other teams half that much……

• Upvote 1
Just now, VinegarStrokes said:

He does the Scotland tops too as well as the Aberdeen ones, I have an email for him if you want me to send it across to you?

Yep that would be great thanks

Are they the sort of material that don't lend themselves to playing 5s? Ie, itchy and sweat-absorbing?

2 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Yep that would be great thanks

Are they the sort of material that don't lend themselves to playing 5s? Ie, itchy and sweat-absorbing?

Sent. Yea, I think the ones I got wouldn't be the greatest for 5's to be fair as they are replicas of the early 80's tops but the more recent versions he does would be fine. Sizing is fairly consistent too but he will give you pit to pit measurements if you ask

• Thanks 1

I’m always wary of getting too rose tinted but he was overall the best aberdeen leader and player and I’ve ever seen. He was so consistent you almost took him for granted. Even when they played shit Willie was hardly every poor.

I loved hearing him talking recently about taking control of the Bayern game after we went 3-2 up. He really did, I was at the end they were shooting at and he absolutely sewed it up.

The Gothenburg cup pose is crying out for a statue, so come on Davie boy…

2 minutes ago, Grandpa said:

I’m always wary of getting too rose tinted but he was overall the best aberdeen leader and player and I’ve ever seen. He was so consistent you almost took him for granted. Even when they played shit Willie was hardly every poor.

I loved hearing him talking recently about taking control of the Bayern game after we went 3-2 up. He really did, I was at the end they were shooting at and he absolutely sewed it up.

The Gothenburg cup pose is crying out for a statue, so come on Davie boy…

As in what?

I've heard the "best penalty box defender ever" from SAF

But was he technical too?

It's the unruly hair, tache and really hairy arms. Literally don't get players like that anymore - so manly

Who had the look first, him or souness?