The Jimmy Thelin Thread...

1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Disagree and I hope that’s not what we are going to see for the 4th summer window in a row cause it’ll be a shambles. We need to take our time. A complete rebuild in one window is the same script yet again - and when it doesn’t work in a few months you will all shit yourselves and so will Dave Cormack. 

we have loads of players who would walk into any team from hearts downwards. 

miovski, duk, clarkson, mcgrath, shinnie, McKenzie, devlin, macdonald - jury out a bit but possibly sokler, ruby & Jensen too. All signed up for next season. 

instead of signing about 10+ players I’d love it if we just signed 3 or 4 who can make a difference. 

Yep

3 or 4 proper players instantly elevates some of the rest

Having said that,  need a new keeper, 4 defenders, 2 midfielders 2 wingers and a striker

So, no actually, 10 needed

Disagree and I hope that’s not what we are going to see for the 4th summer window in a row cause it’ll be a shambles. We need to take our time. A complete rebuild in one window is the same script yet again - and when it doesn’t work in a few months you will all shit yourselves and so will Dave Cormack. 

we have loads of players who would walk into any team from hearts downwards. 

miovski, duk, clarkson, mcgrath, shinnie, McKenzie, devlin, macdonald - jury out a bit but possibly sokler, ruby & Jensen too. All signed up for next season. 

instead of signing about 10+ players I’d love it if we just signed 3 or 4 who can make a difference. 

I think that most of us will be stunned if Miovski and Duk are there next season. Shinnie is on his last legs, and it remains to be seen how useful he'll be to us in the future. Barron will also leave, as will Gartenmann. 

We'll also probably need a new keeper.

As to the rest, I agree that McGrath, MacKenzie, Devlin and MacDonald will be a part of any Dons side going forward. Clarkson as well, but the new manager really needs to get more out of him. 

That's 6 players that started yesterday who I doubt will be at the club in 4 months time. On top of that, our squad is paper thin and pish poor at the same time....on the subs bench yesterday only Polvara, Sokler, Milne and Jensen look like they'll be here next season and the jury is out on if they'll ever be good enough to really improve the team (maybe Milne). 

So sadly, while I agree with you that in an ideal world we would like consistency and not permanent re-building, the fact is that we're going to have to bring around 10 players or more into the club in the summer. 

1 hour ago, G man said:

With the players bought last summer - when many were saying we had the third best squad in the league?!- we would still be in the bottom six. Other than a few notable exceptions , we have bought badly for the last few seasons. Too easy to blame managers and keep sacking them but the people at the top of the club, making the recruitment decisions need changed.

C’mon Robson is gone you don’t need to keep making excuses for him.

8 minutes ago, Schapenneuker said:

I think that most of us will be stunned if Miovski and Duk are there next season. Shinnie is on his last legs, and it remains to be seen how useful he'll be to us in the future. Barron will also leave, as will Gartenmann. 

As to the rest, I agree that McGrath, MacKenzie, Devlin and MacDonald will be a part of any Dons side going forward. Clarkson as well, but the new manager really needs to get more out of him. 

That's 6 players that started yesterday who I doubt will be at the club in 4 months time. On top of that, our squad is paper thin and pish poor at the same time....on the subs bench yesterday only Polvara, Sokler, Milne and Jensen look like they'll be here next season and the jury is out on if they'll ever be good enough to really improve the team (maybe Milne). 

So sadly, while I agree with you that in an ideal world we would like consistency and not permanent re-building, the fact is that we're going to have to bring around 10 players or more into the club in the summer. 

I agree with most of what you've said here, although don't forget Ruby, he'll be in the squad next year.

Thelin has a reputation for bringing on youth players, so we might see more of the likes of Duncan, Bavidge, and some of the other youngsters who are out on loan this season rather than going to the transfer market for squad fillers.

16 minutes ago, Helmet said:

C’mon Robson is gone you don’t need to keep making excuses for him.

He left the club nearly 3 months ago !! My point is it is too easy to blame managers when in fact the recruitment has been awful for years.

27 minutes ago, Schapenneuker said:

That's not what I said. 

This isn't Ten Hag coming in to take control of Man United with 400 £million to spend on players from Brazil or Spain or Holland. 

Thelin will come in, and be expected to instantly put together a squad of players that will compete for 3rd place and a cup or two, on a shoestring budget. 

I would say that having a good knowledge of the Scottish game.....or at least having someone around you who has that....which will enable us to pick up players from other Scottish clubs, would be useful. If not essential. 

One of the reasons why pretty much every foreigner who has managed a club in Scotland outside the OF has failed, is their lack of knowledge of our game. 

Wasn't directed purely at you, many folk have said on here that the manager needs to know the Scottish game.

My idea would be to give any new manager a great platform so that they can do what they are good at, it shouldn't matter much if they know the league or not.

On the final bit, is that really the case?  Often it's players not buying into what that manager wants, the Italian at Killie was slaughtered because he wanted them to do work without the ball, other managers chased out of clubs because they wanted a more professional atmosphere and for there to be days where team train twice a day.

The fact is, too many people in and around the Scottish game are backward cunts, scared of change, even though doing the same thing over and over keeps failing as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3
57 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

I doubt it. We’d be top 6 with a manager who was remotely competent. Levens current form over a season would have got us top 6 comfortably. 

Robson and Warnock are huge reasons we never achieved top 6 and both have been shown up by a man who’s not managed a team in his life.

Yes, the squad is shite but we narrowly missed out on top 6 in the end. This is mostly down to that wanker Robson.

Leven would have had us in the top six!!!!!😂😂 we have missed sixth position by 5 points. We were eight when Robson left we are ninth now.

As l say look to the poor recruitment and the poor performance of the players rather than simply blaming managers. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Schapenneuker said:

That's not what I said. 

This isn't Ten Hag coming in to take control of Man United with 400 £million to spend on players from Brazil or Spain or Holland. 

Thelin will come in, and be expected to instantly put together a squad of players that will compete for 3rd place and a cup or two, on a shoestring budget. 

I would say that having a good knowledge of the Scottish game.....or at least having someone around you who has that....which will enable us to pick up players from other Scottish clubs, would be useful. If not essential. 

One of the reasons why pretty much every foreigner who has managed a club in Scotland outside the OF has failed, is their lack of knowledge of our game. 

To be honest I genuinely don't think that it'll take much to get us into the top 4. Some competence and professionalism in the back 4 will instantly bring us in more points. 

A manager who can identify a couple of defenders who can actually defend and enjoy tackling will instantly buy us 15 points and I don't think that's an over exaggeration. 

I accept for Thelin to get what he wants will take time and it won't be achieved in one window but sorting out the defence and a solid keeper will be a huge start. We need to use the free transfer market wisely. Hearts have had a head start on that with a couple of decent precontract agreements.

It's going to be an interesting window.

• Upvote 3
14 hours ago, Dunty said:

You're too stupid to realise you're thick.

He knows we're shit. He doesn't need to watch a single minute of us to know that. That's why there's a vacancy.

Thicko.

That’s the most simplistic take on matters yet you are calling me thick?

I don’t think this went quite how you thought it would.

1 hour ago, G man said:

Leven would have had us in the top six!!!!!😂😂 we have missed sixth position by 5 points. We were eight when Robson left we are ninth now.

As l say look to the poor recruitment and the poor performance of the players rather than simply blaming managers. 

That’s not what I said. If you are too illiterate to read then don’t try have a conversation with people. 

2 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

That’s not what I said. If you are too illiterate to read then don’t try have a conversation with people. 

That is exactly what you said!!! Read your bloody post. Again you resort to insults. How can you have a conversation with the likes of you who resorts to insults when people dare to have different opinions to you. 

1 hour ago, minijc said:

Wasn't directed purely at you, many folk have said on here that the manager needs to know the Scottish game.

My idea would be to give any new manager a great platform so that they can do what they are good at, it shouldn't matter much if they know the league or not.

On the final bit, is that really the case?  Often it's players not buying into what that manager wants, the Italian at Killie was slaughtered because he wanted them to do work without the ball, other managers chased out of clubs because they wanted a more professional atmosphere and for there to be days where team train twice a day.

The fact is, too many people in and around the Scottish game are backward cunts, scared of change, even though doing the same thing over and over keeps failing as well.

You highlight a lot of very important reasons why Scottish football is so bad. 

• Like 1

How much non-Scottish football do people watch? What are we comparing it to?

Outside of the European competitions which is generally the best teams of each country and occasional games from the top of the "Big 5" and English football, which British TV is saturated with, how many folk watch league games from the likes of Holland, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland, even Norway and Sweden or other countries of that level on a regular basis?  How do they compare to our game?

2 hours ago, G man said:

Yeah 7 managers in 3.5 years tells its own story..

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Millertime said:

Yep

Having said that,  need a new keeper, 4 defenders, 2 midfielders 2 wingers and a striker

Which I hope and assume he’s working on already, despite still doing his current job. I also assume he’s evaluating whats he’s currently got and who he can work with in the future.

1st June arrival doesn’t afford a great deal of time, given the task at hand. 
i also hope he isn’t given a list of data driven transfer targets, collated by some balloon! 

3 hours ago, Millertime said:

Yep

3 hours ago, Schapenneuker said:

The good news is it won’t be me making the decision in summer. Or you. But I think to expect us to sign a whole new team in the summer is incredibly unrealistic. We aren’t Chelsea 2003. We have a lot of player under contract that we will need to work with. Many of which could perform at a better level than what they’ve shown this season. 

a few additions would make all the difference. Look at the team sir Derek inherited. He took over a club who had finished 9th, 9th, 9th, 8th. Brown made some good signings but couldn’t get anything out of them. I’m hoping it’s the same.

mcinnes’ Scottish cup final team is generally regarded as his best side - that took 4 years to build. To expect thelin to buy a whole new team in 1 window, his first in Scotland, would likely result in a lot of shit signings. You are literally wanting Aberdeen to repeat what they have done the last 3 summers. 

It's a bit naïve to think only 3 or 4 new signings would make a difference, that number was what we needed in Jan, now it's approaching the summer and it's very obvious that we need a whole new defence along with a new midfield.

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, minijc said:

It's a bit naïve to think only 3 or 4 new signings would make a difference, that number was what we needed in Jan, now it's approaching the summer and it's very obvious that we need a whole new defence along with a new midfield.

not to mention we are going to lose our attack

The good news is it won’t be me making the decision in summer. Or you. But I think to expect us to sign a whole new team in the summer is incredibly unrealistic. We aren’t Chelsea 2003. We have a lot of player under contract that we will need to work with. Many of which could perform at a better level than what they’ve shown this season. 

a few additions would make all the difference. Look at the team sir Derek inherited. He took over a club who had finished 9th, 9th, 9th, 8th. Brown made some good signings but couldn’t get anything out of them. I’m hoping it’s the same.

mcinnes’ Scottish cup final team is generally regarded as his best side - that took 4 years to build. To expect thelin to buy a whole new team in 1 window, his first in Scotland, would likely result in a lot of shit signings. You are literally wanting Aberdeen to repeat what they have done the last 3 summers. 

Not ideal, I grant you

But 100% required

42 minutes ago, minijc said:

Gk

Defence

Couple of wide attackers 

Bojan replacement.

That’s a minimum of 8.

Hopefully a couple of prospects make the leap. Bavidge, Carroll and the other one who scores fairly regularly. Let Jimmy do his thing.

10 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Not ideal, I grant you

But 100% required

We’ll see what happens. Based on 30+ seasons of watching Aberdeen, if we signed 10 players in summer I’d be happy and surprised if as many of 5 of them are good. Would also have the matter of moving on several players, probably having to pay them off. 

Or just add a few players, pay them more cause save money not paying anyone else off and BUILD the team. 

goalie, centre back, centre mid & at least 1 winger. 

I don’t think miovski will leave in summer. I don’t think we’ll get any decent bids as his value has probably dropped. We’ll see!

5 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

We’ll see what happens. Based on 30+ seasons of watching Aberdeen, if we signed 10 players in summer I’d be happy and surprised if as many of 5 of them are good. Would also have the matter of moving on several players, probably having to pay them off. 

Or just add a few players, pay them more cause save money not paying anyone else off and BUILD the team. 

goalie, centre back, centre mid & at least 1 winger. 

I don’t think miovski will leave in summer. I don’t think we’ll get any decent bids as his value has probably dropped. We’ll see!

On miovski, Why do you think his value has probably dropped?

Ps, listen up @minijc

8 minutes ago, Millertime said:

On miovski, Why do you think his value has probably dropped?

Ps, listen up @minijc

Why do I have to listen?  I don't recall making a guess on what his value could be, I guess we'll get over 5m for him, the real value will be in add ons, I also wouldn't be surprised if Miovski and the club already know where he's going so it doesn't matter what I think or what other no mark fans on a forum think.

• Upvote 1