The Jimmy Thelin Thread...

24 minutes ago, Dunty said:

Thelin has known about the Aberdeen job since Goodwin was sacked. Do you really think it's taken him all this time to realise we're not very good?

I doubt he’s taken the time to sit and forensically examine the players until he’s known for sure he’s taking the job. That’s if he even is actually taking it.

16 minutes ago, NEM said:

Not many players you can really make a case for tbh!

Wasn't aimed at you NEM, just a general statement.

And you're right, there's not many players worth keeping.  I expect, if Thelin is backed, our squad will look very different after two or three windows.

2 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

I doubt he’s taken the time to sit and forensically examine the players until he’s known for sure he’s taking the job. That’s if he even is actually taking it.

You're too stupid to realise you're thick.

He knows we're shit. He doesn't need to watch a single minute of us to know that. That's why there's a vacancy.

Thicko.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, RUL said:

Doubtful he’s watched a full game. 

He probably watched both Hacken games for starters. You probably would out of morbid curiosity when you were interviewed for the job and lost out to Barry Robson.

Malmo’s coach is a fan. 

"Jimmy has had an interesting journey over the years. On a tactical basis, I would say Elfsborg are the most consistent team in the country. 

Opponents all know how they are going to play and what way they will line-up, but it's still very difficult to stop them as can be seen by how well they have done under Jimmy. I always found it amazing that Jimmy's never was never really mentioned when it came to managing a really big club in Europe.

You hear of some so-called hip coaches getting mentioned but he always seems to sneak under the radar and I think he likes that. Jimmy has been a source of inspiration for me since I became a coach. He is clearly one of Sweden's best managers.

Perhaps most of all for what he did in Jonkoping Sodra, when he took a small club into the top league. But also the job he has done for years now at Elfsborg has been outstanding.

Every year Elfsborg seem to lose and bring in a lot of players and they are always up there. That's down to Jimmy. It helps he is working for a good club with good infrastructure. He has his way of playing football and he always seems to bring in players that perform with Elfsborg DNA.”

One of the issues that would concern me if/when Thelin gets the gig, is exactly how much he knows about the Scottish game. 

When he comes in, we need a complete rebuild. It's not just the case of bringing in a few Scandinavians that he already knows, he's effectively going to have to put a full squad together, quickly. 

Realistically, that means taking players from other Premiership clubs, and looking at a level below to pinch the best Championship players (something that Aberdeen have routinely ignored for years now). 

With the best will in the world, I can't believe that Thelin has a great knowledge of Airdrie, Raith Rovers or Thistle players, never mind players from St Mirren or Motherwell. 

I suppose that's why we have the likes of Steven Gunn, but that hardly fills us with confidence. 

1 minute ago, Schapenneuker said:

One of the issues that would concern me if/when Thelin gets the gig, is exactly how much he knows about the Scottish game. 

When he comes in, we need a complete rebuild. It's not just the case of bringing in a few Scandinavians that he already knows, he's effectively going to have to put a full squad together, quickly. 

Realistically, that means taking players from other Premiership clubs, and looking at a level below to pinch the best Championship players (something that Aberdeen have routinely ignored for years now). 

With the best will in the world, I can't believe that Thelin has a great knowledge of Airdrie, Raith Rovers or Thistle players, never mind players from St Mirren or Motherwell. 

I suppose that's why we have the likes of Steven Gunn, but that hardly fills us with confidence. 

Surely Leven can fill the gap in knowledge of scottish football Jimmy wouldn't have? 

7 minutes ago, Schapenneuker said:

This is where it might be good to appoint a TD with knowledge of the scottish game. As well as keeping Leven on board.

Not sure who would be suitable for it though, and definitely not Malky McKay before anyone says it.

6 minutes ago, Stamens_in_the_cloud said:

I'm wondering where we would be had he been appointed rather than Robson?

With the players bought last summer - when many were saying we had the third best squad in the league?!- we would still be in the bottom six. Other than a few notable exceptions , we have bought badly for the last few seasons. Too easy to blame managers and keep sacking them but the people at the top of the club, making the recruitment decisions need changed.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, minijc said:

I wonder if fans of other teams across the world all shit themselves at the prospect of a foreigner becoming their manager in case he doesn't know that countries 'game'.

I wonder how many foreigners with no previous personal experience of Scottish football have been successful in Scotland  …..excluding , for obvious reasons,  those employed by the arse cheeks 

• Dildo 1
8 minutes ago, redone said:

I wonder how many foreigners with no previous personal experience of Scottish football have been successful in Scotland  …..excluding , for obvious reasons,  those employed by the arse cheeks 

Why are we acting like this league is some sort of holy fucking grail of football, a good manager will do well in the right setting whether they know the league or not.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 7
18 minutes ago, redone said:

I wonder how many of our last 3 managers, who all had experience of Scottish football, were successful with us.

In fact, since SAF how many of our managers, who had experience of Scottish football, were a success? 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Schapenneuker said:

Disagree and I hope that’s not what we are going to see for the 4th summer window in a row cause it’ll be a shambles. We need to take our time. A complete rebuild in one window is the same script yet again - and when it doesn’t work in a few months you will all shit yourselves and so will Dave Cormack. 

we have loads of players who would walk into any team from hearts downwards. 

miovski, duk, clarkson, mcgrath, shinnie, McKenzie, devlin, macdonald - jury out a bit but possibly sokler, ruby & Jensen too. All signed up for next season. 

instead of signing about 10+ players I’d love it if we just signed 3 or 4 who can make a difference. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Rico1903 said:

Malmo’s coach is a fan. 

"Jimmy has had an interesting journey over the years. On a tactical basis, I would say Elfsborg are the most consistent team in the country. 

Opponents all know how they are going to play and what way they will line-up, but it's still very difficult to stop them as can be seen by how well they have done under Jimmy. I always found it amazing that Jimmy's never was never really mentioned when it came to managing a really big club in Europe.

You hear of some so-called hip coaches getting mentioned but he always seems to sneak under the radar and I think he likes that. Jimmy has been a source of inspiration for me since I became a coach. He is clearly one of Sweden's best managers.

Perhaps most of all for what he did in Jonkoping Sodra, when he took a small club into the top league. But also the job he has done for years now at Elfsborg has been outstanding.

Every year Elfsborg seem to lose and bring in a lot of players and they are always up there. That's down to Jimmy. It helps he is working for a good club with good infrastructure. He has his way of playing football and he always seems to bring in players that perform with Elfsborg DNA.”

He sounds a lot like McInnes.

47 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Disagree and I hope that’s not what we are going to see for the 4th summer window in a row cause it’ll be a shambles. We need to take our time. A complete rebuild in one window is the same script yet again - and when it doesn’t work in a few months you will all shit yourselves and so will Dave Cormack. 

we have loads of players who would walk into any team from hearts downwards. 

miovski, duk, clarkson, mcgrath, shinnie, McKenzie, devlin, macdonald - jury out a bit but possibly sokler, ruby & Jensen too. All signed up for next season. 

instead of signing about 10+ players I’d love it if we just signed 3 or 4 who can make a difference. 

I think we need to trust that Thelin knows how to build a squad, and over what time period. Seems like that’s what he’s known for. 

1 hour ago, G man said:

With the players bought last summer - when many were saying we had the third best squad in the league?!- we would still be in the bottom six. Other than a few notable exceptions , we have bought badly for the last few seasons. Too easy to blame managers and keep sacking them but the people at the top of the club, making the recruitment decisions need changed.

I doubt it. We’d be top 6 with a manager who was remotely competent. Levens current form over a season would have got us top 6 comfortably. 

Robson and Warnock are huge reasons we never achieved top 6 and both have been shown up by a man who’s not managed a team in his life.

Yes, the squad is shite but we narrowly missed out on top 6 in the end. This is mostly down to that wanker Robson.

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

I doubt it. We’d be top 6 with a manager who was remotely competent. Levens current form over a season would have got us top 6 comfortably. 

Robson and Warnock are huge reasons we never achieved top 6 and both have been shown up by a man who’s not managed a team in his life.

Yes, the squad is shite but we narrowly missed out on top 6 in the end. This is mostly down to that wanker Robson.

It's difficult not to wonder where we'd be if we'd just given the gig to Leven when Robson left instead of bringing in Warnock.

If Leven had managed similar form through February we could easily be 8 or 9 points better off and comfortably 5th or 6th.

Moot point though, we are where we are and bottom six it is.

1 hour ago, minijc said:

I wonder if fans of other teams across the world all shit themselves at the prospect of a foreigner becoming their manager in case he doesn't know that countries 'game'.

That's not what I said. 

This isn't Ten Hag coming in to take control of Man United with 400 £million to spend on players from Brazil or Spain or Holland. 

Thelin will come in, and be expected to instantly put together a squad of players that will compete for 3rd place and a cup or two, on a shoestring budget. 

I would say that having a good knowledge of the Scottish game.....or at least having someone around you who has that....which will enable us to pick up players from other Scottish clubs, would be useful. If not essential. 

One of the reasons why pretty much every foreigner who has managed a club in Scotland outside the OF has failed, is their lack of knowledge of our game. 

1 minute ago, Schapenneuker said:

That's not what I said. 

This isn't Ten Hag coming in to take control of Man United with 400 £million to spend on players from Brazil or Spain or Holland. 

Thelin will come in, and be expected to instantly put together a squad of players that will compete for 3rd place and a cup or two, on a shoestring budget. 

I would say that having a good knowledge of the Scottish game.....or at least having someone around you who has that....which will enable us to pick up players from other Scottish clubs, would be useful. If not essential. 

One of the reasons why pretty much every foreigner who has managed a club in Scotland outside the OF has failed, is their lack of knowledge of our game. 

Most folk I've spoken too recognise he'll need to be given time to build a team given the mismanagement of the past three seasons.  Nobody is expecting him to be third and reach finals in his first season.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Willo flood said:

This is where it might be good to appoint a TD with knowledge of the scottish game. As well as keeping Leven on board.

Not sure who would be suitable for it though, and definitely not Malky McKay before anyone says it.

Or maybe we just appoint in a TD who’s good at the job?

Just a thought.