The Jimmy Thelin Thread...

12 minutes ago, McginnAgain said:

Not sure how well this style would work against the cloggers of the league here.

They've had 33% possession but the likes of the shots and corners stats are well in their favour.

Is it some sort of plan to deliberately let the other team knock it about then attack quickly on the counter?

3 minutes ago, huncunts said:

They've had 33% possession but the likes of the shots and corners stats are well in their favour.

Is it some sort of plan to deliberately let the other team knock it about then attack quickly on the counter?

Yep. Letting them have all of the ball and then quick passes forward when it turns over.

My main worry is that you never see that much space available in the opposition box in this league. 

Seems to rely on the opposition actually trying to attack in numbers, and not putting 10 behind the ball when they lose possession. 

25 minutes ago, McginnAgain said:

Yep. Letting them have all of the ball and then quick passes forward when it turns over.

My main worry is that you never see that much space available in the opposition box in this league. 

Seems to rely on the opposition actually trying to attack in numbers, and not putting 10 behind the ball when they lose possession. 

I know it's all about execution but was this essentially not the aim of Robson ball? 

We will need to be adaptable in the face of a number of Scottish Premiership sides who are more than happy to forfeit possession and wait for you to make a mistake.

Be some sight if neither team wants the ball.

5 minutes ago, Sheeptastic said:

I know it's all about execution but was this essentially not the aim of Robson ball? 

We will need to be adaptable in the face of a number of Scottish Premiership sides who are more than happy to forfeit possession and wait for you to make a mistake.

Nil nil draws incoming.

37 minutes ago, Sheeptastic said:

This was the aim of Robson ball. Hit in transition. However he thought transition was hoofing the ball 50 yards, leaving every cunt bar mioviski behind the ball.

18 minutes ago, Dons21 said:

This was the aim of Robson ball. Hit in transition. However he thought transition was hoofing the ball 50 yards, leaving every cunt bar mioviski behind the ball.

Aye, apparently Thelin Ball has slightly more purpose.

That balls launched (passed with accuracy) forward (with care) will be to the wide players in advanced positions.

Allegedly.

So we'll surely be taking some wide players* in to accomodate this strategy.

*nae Mark Yardley or Kris Boyd

To be fair McInnes-ball in the beginning when we had some decent wingers was pretty on the eye too... We need the next Hayes and McGinn to bang in the crosses to Miovski/Rooney up front... We already have McGrath & Clarkson in the attacking mid role... a couple of new DM's in the McRorie/Ramadani mould and a reorganisation of the back 5 - new goalies , possibly a new CB a new RB and the jury's still out whether the LB situation is good enough... A lot of work to do but get that recruitment right and we've got a great squad...

2 hours ago, Jazzer08 said:

I was thinking the same thing. It will certainly favour us against the gruesome twosome, since it's likely they will have the lions share of possession in games, but I'm unsure how that works when we are expected to dominate most other teams in the league, especially at Pittodrie. Hopefully he has a plan B.

Hearts seemed to have that problem under either Cathro or Stendel (can’t remember which one) in that they would play great against the OF but do very poorly against the other 9 teams in the League.

1 minute ago, Willo flood said:

Hearts seemed to have the problem under either Cathro or Stendel (can’t remember which one) in that they would play great against the OF but do very poorly against the other 9 teams in the League.

I'm sure they put 4 past the huns under Cathro.

2 hours ago, dj_bollocks said:

To be fair McInnes-ball in the beginning when we had some decent wingers was pretty on the eye too... We need the next Hayes and McGinn to bang in the crosses to Miovski/Rooney up front... We already have McGrath & Clarkson in the attacking mid role... a couple of new DM's in the McRorie/Ramadani mould and a reorganisation of the back 5 - new goalies , possibly a new CB a new RB and the jury's still out whether the LB situation is good enough... A lot of work to do but get that recruitment right and we've got a great squad...

Add to that inevitability of Duk and Miovski leaving, so 2 strikers as well, of first team quality, Dave better dust out his chequebook cause he’ll need it.

7 hours ago, Dons79 said:

Add to that inevitability of Duk and Miovski leaving, so 2 strikers as well, of first team quality, Dave better dust out his chequebook cause he’ll need it.

Sale of Miovski will be paying for the rebuild, Duk not so much, 50% sell-on fee plus the fact he's barely looked interested this season, be surprised if we got £500k in the bank for him.

Don't think DC will have to put his hand in his pocket.

15 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Only as good as latest games 😉

Again. Not a great record for a team ‘expecting’ to challenge for title & cups. So his record so far this season is shite 🤷

Nobody in their right mind would be expecting him to challenge for titles at Aberdeen, so for us anything 40% or better isn't actually too bad. Obviously we'd all want better, but considering we've only had 5 managers in our history with over 50% win percentages then based on where we are as a club just now anything in the 40's isn't a bad platform to build on.

17 hours ago, Durrant Dived said:

Screenshot-20240429-173423-Samsung-Inter

Don't talk fucking shite.

Equivalent to Dundee losing a title decider to Celtic then being back in 7th at the start of the following season. 

Do you think Huns n Tim’s would accept that kind of win rate domestically? Elfsborg would expect a similar domestic win percentage as them for challenging for title/domestic cups. It’s not shite at all. 40% win rate domestically is not title winning form or acceptable for Elfsborg fans 🤷

Just as 40% win rate domestically for us wouldn’t see us close to ‘title’ challenge. 

Mcinnes never had us close on 43% barring one season ‘arguably’ when Ronny was at Tim’s & rest of league were shite & even then (in that individual season) Mcinnes’s domestic win % was probably a lot higher than his whole average with us of 43%

• Dildo 2
2 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Nobody in their right mind would be expecting him to challenge for titles at Aberdeen, so for us anything 40% or better isn't actually too bad. Obviously we'd all want better, but considering we've only had 5 managers in our history with over 50% win percentages then based on where we are as a club just now anything in the 40's isn't a bad platform to build on.

I said I don’t expect that at Aberdeen 🤷 why are you implying I did? I was referring to what Elfsborg would be expecting as title challengers again & 40% isn’t good enough for them to do that. 

5 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

I said I don’t expect that at Aberdeen 🤷 why are you implying I did? I was referring to what Elfsborg would be expecting as title challengers again & 40% isn’t good enough for them to do that. 

His overall win percentage at Elfsborg since 2018 (including challenging for the league) is 46.8%, so why would that dropping a few percentage for a run of 7 or 8 games be sackable?

9 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Betweem 15th December 84 and 23rd February 85 the dons played 10 league games and only won 4. Should Fergie have been sacked?

24 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

His overall win percentage at Elfsborg since 2018 (including challenging for the league) is 46.8%, so why would that dropping a few percentage for a run of 7 or 8 games be sackable?

That includes European games ‘not domestic’ also he wasn’t challenging for title every year but last season they were 🤷 what was his win percentage in title challenge year? Why you trying to twist what am saying 🤣 to suit

20 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Betweem 15th December 84 and 23rd February 85 the dons played 10 league games and only won 4. Should Fergie have been sacked?

🤦‍♂️ 

what was his win percentage that season? As serious title challengers

27 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

You think their fans are happy with start? 

Keep trying all ways you can to manipulate the discussion to suit yours by altering what I say. It’s all good 🙄

3 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Do you think Huns n Tim’s would accept that kind of win rate domestically? Elfsborg would expect a similar domestic win percentage as them for challenging for title/domestic cups. It’s not shite at all. 40% win rate domestically is not title winning form or acceptable for Elfsborg fans 🤷

Just as 40% win rate domestically for us wouldn’t see us close to ‘title’ challenge. 

Mcinnes never had us close on 43% barring one season ‘arguably’ when Ronny was at Tim’s & rest of league were shite & even then (in that individual season) Mcinnes’s domestic win % was probably a lot higher than his whole average with us of 43%

As shown in my last post, Elfsborg have the 8th highest budget in the league. 

So asking if celtic and rangers would accept it when it's more appropriate to ask Leicester fans, if after winning the title in 2015, is it acceptable to be in 8th place the following season? 🤣