The Jimmy Thelin Thread...

3 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think there's an outside chance we see him at the Livingston game. 

Probably not taking the team but maybe introduced to the crowd and sitting in the director's box. 

Considering Elfsborg are playing that night, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

1 hour ago, 20two20 said:

We aren't getting 3rd next season.

It's not JUST the players that are getting an overhaul, it's not JUST a new manager, but an entirely new system and style of playing.

I'm happy with seeing progress next season and top 6, we need to stick by Thelin for a bit longer than if he was some random shot in the dark manager (Glass) or a supposed quick-fix (Goodwin, Warnock). With our budget, facilities and with his management team we have genuine potential and we need to see it as a longer term project.

That's the spirit... 🤦🏻‍♂️

We absolutely should be getting 3rd next season because we have now employed a manager with a bit of pedigree. If he doesn't then it's not like he'll be getting his jotters but to not think he can't make this squad and the 8 or 9 players that he's going to have a hand in recruiting better than Dundee, St Mirren & Kilmarnock and a bang average Hearts team likely to lose their talisman this summer, is defeatist pish even for a Dons fan...

• Upvote 4
  • Dildo 2
4 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think there's an outside chance we see him at the Livingston game. 

Probably not taking the team but maybe introduced to the crowd and sitting in the director's box. 

Noticed a yellow and blue banner (massive fucker) being constructed in the RDS concourse today, which may or may not be Swedish related and might or might not be for the Livvie game next week.

Bit premature if it’s for next season, I did think though.

54 minutes ago, dj_bollocks said:

That's the spirit... 🤦🏻‍♂️

We absolutely should be getting 3rd next season because we have now employed a manager with a bit of pedigree. If he doesn't then it's not like he'll be getting his jotters but to not think he can't make this squad and the 8 or 9 players that he's going to have a hand in recruiting better than Dundee, St Mirren & Kilmarnock and a bang average Hearts team likely to lose their talisman this summer, is defeatist pish even for a Dons fan...

...as well as bang average celtic and RIFC sides.

Whoever wins the title out of that filth, they'll be undoubtedly the worst championship winning team in my lifetime.

1 hour ago, Dunty said:

Considering Elfsborg are playing that night, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Wouldn't be that exciting for me tbh as managers don't really move me up nor down. 

Just that Jimmy said yesterday he would be open to an earlier move - assume because we are now safe and his replacement is ready to step in at Elfsborg - so there is an outside chance he might rock up. 

1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

Noticed a yellow and blue banner (massive fucker) being constructed in the RDS concourse today, which may or may not be Swedish related and might or might not be for the Livvie game next week.

Who was it being constructed by? 

If it was by kids it will probably just be one of those kids tifo that they do every few games. Although could still be Swedish related right enough 

2 hours ago, Ke1t said:

Haven't been impressed by them at all, though obviously only seen them in games against us and highlights of other games. 

Kudos to them for third, but IF we get our shit together next season under Thelin they should be emminently beatable at their current level. 

I assume tempting Thelin came with a big budget in the summer. We are most likely both losing our best player. Hearts came up from the championship and finished third. It’s not difficult if you make the right signings.  Look what Killie done this season having almost got relegated last season. We almost sneaked into the top 6 this season and we have been absolutely abysmal for 2/3 of the season. We definitely should be aiming for third and if we fall short by a place or 2 then so be it. We are in it for the long haul! 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, slippers said:

I assume tempting Thelin came with a big budget in the summer. We are most likely both losing our best player. Hearts came up from the championship and finished third. It’s not difficult if you make the right signings.  Look what Killie done this season having almost got relegated last season. We almost sneaked into the top 6 this season and we have been absolutely abysmal for 2/3 of the season. We definitely should be aiming for third and if we fall short by a place or 2 then so be it. We are in it for the long haul! 

finishing 3rd should be the target even 4th wouldn't be a disaster in a season with Hearts or Hibs doing well too.  We have to be honest that 3rd should be the target but both Edinburgh clubs have similar budgets so have the potential on keeping up with us.  Finishing any lower than 4th must been seen as a poor season especially with the dross in the league like Dundee who are finishing above us with a 3rd of the budget.  

5 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

Just showing our support for ukraine

6 hours ago, Ke1t said:

Haven't been impressed by them at all, though obviously only seen them in games against us and highlights of other games. 

Kudos to them for third, but IF we get our shit together next season under Thelin they should be emminently beatable at their current level. 

Of course they are beatable. We’ve literally beaten them this season. 

it’s the character of the players that will be interesting next season… and maybe the decider. We have good players at the club just now but a lot of them appear to be pretty weak. 

you look at our team 2013-2019 ish and so many of them have or had been captains. You really aren’t seeing that in this team. When shinnie is out the captaincy is given to a guy who wasn’t even in the team for months… which just shows how much big angus was missed 

7 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Of course they are beatable. We’ve literally beaten them this season. 

it’s the character of the players that will be interesting next season… and maybe the decider. We have good players at the club just now but a lot of them appear to be pretty weak. 

you look at our team 2013-2019 ish and so many of them have or had been captains. You really aren’t seeing that in this team. When shinnie is out the captaincy is given to a guy who wasn’t even in the team for months… which just shows how much big angus was missed 

still find it wild Angus wasnt played under Robson or even Warnock. Defence was a disgrace and still never chucked him in for a proper run.

14 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Nah. Always want to say that though. 

bur the amount of games they’ve been behind and turned around is impressive 

I'm sorry but I still disagree. They play a poor boring brand of football and have greatly benefited from us being shite and Hibs being slightly less shite than us (so far). 

They are higher up the league due to having two competent goalkeepers. They also have Shankland but I wouldn't trade Miovski for him in a million years. 

We could have been top six if we'd 

a) sacked Robson sooner 

b) never went down the crazy Warnock route.

Fair play to Hearts, they've done what they need to do and I can't take that away from them.

• Upvote 1
  • Dildo 1
21 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

I'm sorry but I still disagree. They play a poor boring brand of football and have greatly benefited from us being shite and Hibs being slightly less shite than us (so far). 

They are higher up the league due to having two competent goalkeepers. They also have Shankland but I wouldn't trade Miovski for him in a million years. 

a) sacked Robson sooner 

Fair play to Hearts, they've done what they need to do and I can't take that away from them.

Good post. Hearts have purely done the bare minimum something that us and hibs should be doing too.  It has been a poor standard of league and i don't see it changing much next season.  Even Celtic and The rangers are bang average, i'm not saying anyone else would win the league but if any of us had our house in good order a challenge for 2nd wouldn't be a million miles off in a league like this season

On 5/5/2024 at 3:17 PM, aberdeen1970 said:

He's clearly got a nice wee formula to play against the bigger clubs. 

Will be interesting to see how he handles home games against the likes of Ross County. 

Mhhh a bit like Barry's transition terrors - it worked well against big teams.

1 hour ago, Broken_Glass said:

a) sacked Robson sooner 

Hearts will follow our template from last season. Suffer the challenges of ‘going all round Europe’ and a league campaign, without shankland, who will be punted.

they will hold on to wee nasal for too long, culminating in a bottom six finish, ideally bottom two.

despicable outfit. 

9 hours ago, Broken_Glass said:

a) sacked Robson sooner 

Proper Aberdonian you. And I respect that. 

the type that could watch Aberdeen win 20+ league games in a season with several big wins including one  at Celtic park and fold your arms and say “NOPE. SHIT. Get the manager OUT my club.”

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, donswin1983 said:

Hearts will follow our template from last season. Suffer the challenges of ‘going all round Europe’ and a league campaign, without shankland, who will be punted.

they will hold on to wee nasal for too long, culminating in a bottom six finish, ideally bottom two.

despicable outfit. 

Not sure Celtic or Rangers would pay the money for shankland. Prob be a few championship teams in England looking at him. More chance of them keeping him than us keeping Bojan. Now that he’s won player of year Hearts will want more for him. Will someone pay the money they want? 

1 hour ago, slippers said:

More chance of them keeping him than us keeping Bojan.

Big difference for me is that Shankland has been making little comments to the media for months now to say he wants away.

He'll definitely be away this summer and it will probably impact the fee they get for him.

While I'm sure we'll also lose Bojan (and the board will probably be thinking this is the key window to maximise our profit), he's never publicly indicated he wants to move

Absolutely mental that there's folk in here knowing full well that we're losing the only reason we aren't relegated already in the summer (Miovski) and still thinking 3rd should be a given because even though Hearts will probably finish THIRTEEN points better off than our 3rd place tally last year, "they're shite".

You lot are absolutely delusional. Get yourselves checked out.

• Upvote 4
  • Dildo 3
11 minutes ago, 20two20 said:

Absolutely mental that there's folk in here knowing full well that we're losing the only reason we aren't relegated already in the summer (Miovski) and still thinking 3rd should be a given because even though Hearts will probably finish THIRTEEN points better off than our 3rd place tally last year, "they're shite".

Beating our points tally last year isn’t exactly amazing given we had an average of 1.5 points per game and a GD of -4

We have some talented players but they’ve been criminally mis-used 

Proof is in the pudding from both Hearts and Killie that if we get our recruitment right we should be more than good enough to push for 3rd

6 minutes ago, Granite95 said:

Beating our points tally last year isn’t exactly amazing given we had an average of 1.5 points per game and a GD of -4

We have some talented players but they’ve been criminally mis-used 

Proof is in the pudding from both Hearts and Killie that if we get our recruitment right we should be more than good enough to push for 3rd

Right, what if Hearts and Killie both get their recruitment right?

It's this level of entitlement to third that gets fan bases to turn on managers after 3 months in charge. We've been getting told since day 1 of the Thelin rumours that he takes time to build a team. This season hasn't even finished yet, the boys not even in the door and we've already got people saying we should be finishing third next year....without Miovski.

Edit: For reference, when Thelin took over at Elfsborg they usually finished between 8th-3rd in the table. In his first season in charge they finished 12th, their worst finish in the last 20 years. It took him 2 more years to get within goal difference of the league title.

Be patient.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, 20two20 said:

Right, what if Hearts and Killie both get their recruitment right?

It's this level of entitlement to third that gets fan bases to turn on managers after 3 months in charge. We've been getting told since day 1 of the Thelin rumours that he takes time to build a team. This season hasn't even finished yet, the boys not even in the door and we've already got people saying we should be finishing third next year....without Miovski.

I disagree about the entitlement statement. We are saying we could and should be aiming to  challenge for 3rd EVERY season. So what your saying is the best we should all set our ambitions to be less than that, say top 6 because it might actually be killie or hearts get their recruitment right and finish above us?

28 minutes ago, 20two20 said:

Absolute nonsense. I'm the first person who would say we need to be patient with Jimmy, but it doesn't mean 3rd is unachievable. You're already predicting us to fail next season based on things that haven't even happened yet. Did Miovski sign a contract with someone already? Must have missed that. He's not actually gone until he's gone.

Yes, Hearts are shite. They will be worse next season with group stage football, like they were two seasons ago, and just like we were this season. Why are you struggling to comprehend this?

If we don't hit the ground running, Killie or maybe even St.Mirren could reach 3rd. Maybe Hibs will surprise everyone and get their shit together (unlikely). It's a very tight league and there has been fuck all in it from 3rd to 10th for most of the season for the last 3-4 years now.

Only thing a team like ours needs to finish 3rd in this league is to be consistent.

• Dildo 1
13 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

I disagree about the entitlement statement. We are saying we could and should be aiming to  challenge for 3rd EVERY season. So what your saying is the best we should all set our ambitions to be less than that, say top 6 because it might actually be killie or hearts get their recruitment right and finish above us?

I'm saying we need to stop thinking 3rd is ours to lose and maybe be a bit more pragmatic and ambitious in the long run for once?

We're all so obsessed with putting the "diddy yo-yo teams" back in their place and beating them to 3rd that we might be shooting ourselves in the foot.

What I'm saying is that I'm willing to accept top 6 if it means we're building towards pulling an Elfsborg and potentially winning the league in 3 years time, rather than points scoring and scrambling for 3rd best every year.

17 minutes ago, 20two20 said:

I'm saying we need to stop thinking 3rd is ours to lose and maybe be a bit more pragmatic and ambitious in the long run for once?

We're all so obsessed with putting the "diddy yo-yo teams" back in their place and beating them to 3rd that we might be shooting ourselves in the foot.

What I'm saying is that I'm willing to accept top 6 if it means we're building towards pulling an Elfsborg and potentially winning the league in 3 years time, rather than points scoring and scrambling for 3rd best every year.

I think Jimmy will be a good manager for us and will be given time to build his squad as long as the fans (and board) are seeing signs of progress. However he's not going to have us challenging for the league in 3 years or ever. No team outside the bigot brothers are ever going to win the league again unless they bugger off to another league altogether. The finances that those 2 have (particularly Celtic) means that they'll always be miles ahead of the rest.

Hopefully in a few years time we'll be consistently the best of the rest, and hopefully he can get us a cup or 2 in his time in charge. But even that is perhaps wishful thinking. 

2 hours ago, slippers said:

Not sure Celtic or Rangers would pay the money for shankland. Prob be a few championship teams in England looking at him. More chance of them keeping him than us keeping Bojan. Now that he’s won player of year Hearts will want more for him. Will someone pay the money they want? 

3.5 or 4M, is probably realistic on current form. I think championship clubs would pay that. He knows where the onion bag is and he holds the ball up well. No pace though. That’s his level.

if the hun won the league I would see him going there, but if they don’t, I don’t think they could afford him.

he will be off somewhere in the summer

1 hour ago, 20two20 said:

Agree with the thought of your post. 

but. 

if you take miovski out the team this season I don’t think we get relegated. We’d still have a similar pathetic points tally but someone else would have scored a few goals 

Shankland is clearly angling for a move to the Huns. They'd be stupid not to sign him tbh. Weakens a domestic rival which has been one of Celtic/Rangers main transfer strategies over the years, and with the service he'd get he'd score plenty goals there.

Anything that weakens Hearts we should be all for happening.