The Jimmy Thelin Thread...

1 hour ago, 20two20 said:

Right, what if Hearts and Killie both get their recruitment right?

It's this level of entitlement to third that gets fan bases to turn on managers after 3 months in charge. We've been getting told since day 1 of the Thelin rumours that he takes time to build a team. This season hasn't even finished yet, the boys not even in the door and we've already got people saying we should be finishing third next year....without Miovski.

Edit: For reference, when Thelin took over at Elfsborg they usually finished between 8th-3rd in the table. In his first season in charge they finished 12th, their worst finish in the last 20 years. It took him 2 more years to get within goal difference of the league title.

Be patient.

Who is advocating not being patient? 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, donswin1983 said:

3.5 or 4M, is probably realistic on current form. I think championship clubs would pay that. He knows where the onion bag is and he holds the ball up well. No pace though. That’s his level.

if the hun won the league I would see him going there, but if they don’t, I don’t think they could afford him.

he will be off somewhere in the summer

Not being able to afford players never stopped deadco from signing players, right up to only a few weeks before they went bust.

The tribute act have learned no lessons from them. Fully expect them to try to sign Shankland in the summer. I do agree with you that there will be interest from English Championship clubs too. But I'd think the lure of European football would swing things in sevco's favour 

17 minutes ago, RDS said:

Given it can take around 10 days for work permit to come through then unlikely JT here in official capacity before June as original timescale 

Surely the work permit would already have been sorted out by now considering he was appointed manager over 2 weeks ago now. Would seem strange to leave it to the last minute.

1 hour ago, zeroisgod76 said:

I think Jimmy will be a good manager for us and will be given time to build his squad as long as the fans (and board) are seeing signs of progress. However he's not going to have us challenging for the league in 3 years or ever. No team outside the bigot brothers are ever going to win the league again unless they bugger off to another league altogether. The finances that those 2 have (particularly Celtic) means that they'll always be miles ahead of the rest.

Hopefully in a few years time we'll be consistently the best of the rest, and hopefully he can get us a cup or 2 in his time in charge. But even that is perhaps wishful thinking. 

Yeah maybe, but Elfsborg have the 7th biggest budget in the Allsvenskan, 5 of the teams with the bigger budgets are double the size with Malmo at the top with 4 times the size of Elfsborgs. Elfsborg only lost out on GD.

I know that the ugly sisters are closer to 10x our budget but we don't need to beat them necessarily, we just need to beat the other teams in the league and get a bit of lucky against them.

A Caixinha x Deila style situation would be lovely.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, 20two20 said:

Right, what if Hearts and Killie both get their recruitment right?

It's this level of entitlement to third that gets fan bases to turn on managers after 3 months in charge. We've been getting told since day 1 of the Thelin rumours that he takes time to build a team. This season hasn't even finished yet, the boys not even in the door and we've already got people saying we should be finishing third next year....without Miovski.

Edit: For reference, when Thelin took over at Elfsborg they usually finished between 8th-3rd in the table. In his first season in charge they finished 12th, their worst finish in the last 20 years. It took him 2 more years to get within goal difference of the league title.

Be patient.

We will be patient. The reason we have turned on the manager in 3 months is because they have been shocking appointments from the get go. This is completely different. From what I’ve read people said we should be aiming for third not that it’s a certainty. 

Where do you think we will finish next season? 

11 minutes ago, 20two20 said:

Yeah maybe, but Elfsborg have the 7th biggest budget in the Allsvenskan, 5 of the teams with the bigger budgets are double the size with Malmo at the top with 4 times the size of Elfsborgs. Elfsborg only lost out on GD.

I know that the ugly sisters are closer to 10x our budget but we don't need to beat them necessarily, we just need to beat the other teams in the league and get a bit of lucky against them.

While I completely disagree with your previous posts I’m on board with the above. 

3 minutes ago, slippers said:

We will be patient. The reason we have turned on the manager in 3 months is because they have been shocking appointments from the get go. This is completely different. From what I’ve read people said we should be aiming for third not that it’s a certainty. 

Where do you think we will finish next season? 

I have absolutely no idea where we'll finish next season. We SHOULD be top 6, I'm just saying I'm not going to shit myself if we don't suddenly turn into the 3rd best team in Scotland because historically Thelin needs time. Aiming for third is fine as a default target, but I'm not putting my eggs in that basket. Even the "good" players we still have on the books for next year might not suit Thelins style.

3 hours ago, 20two20 said:

Absolutely mental that there's folk in here knowing full well that we're losing the only reason we aren't relegated already in the summer (Miovski) and still thinking 3rd should be a given because even though Hearts will probably finish THIRTEEN points better off than our 3rd place tally last year, "they're shite".

You lot are absolutely delusional. Get yourselves checked out.

Absolutely mental that folk use our third place last season as some sort of yardstick.  We were mostly fucking abysmal.

Suggest you get yourself checked out

• Dildo 1

A lot will depend on whether the likes of Killie, St.Mirren and Dundee keep their better players or get raided and need to rebuild themselves. Top 6 and a decent cup run would do for me next season.

If we can get top 4 and qualify for Europe then great but if not top 6 and a better product on the park would be progress. 

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

Not being able to afford players never stopped deadco from signing players, right up to only a few weeks before they went bust.

The tribute act have learned no lessons from them. Fully expect them to try to sign Shankland in the summer. I do agree with you that there will be interest from English Championship clubs too. But I'd think the lure of European football would swing things in sevco's favour 

Two days after when they tried to address Administration by signing Cousin

59 minutes ago, NEM said:

Absolutely mental that folk use our third place last season as some sort of yardstick.  We were mostly fucking abysmal.

Suggest you get yourself checked out

Conveniently ignoring the fact that they beat our third place points tally by 31st of March.

I'm not using it as a yardstick for what we should be aiming for, but they would have sealed 3rd spot by March if this was last season. Trying to say they aren't a good team is just folks red tinted glasses kicking in.

They've had a shite last couple of months (relatively) and they're still easily, and by a large margin, the third best team in the league.

• Dildo 2
50 minutes ago, Who gives a Duk said:

A lot will depend on whether the likes of Killie, St.Mirren and Dundee keep their better players or get raided and need to rebuild themselves. Top 6 and a decent cup run would do for me next season.

If we can get top 4 and qualify for Europe then great but if not top 6 and a better product on the park would be progress. 

If we cannot finish in the top 6 (hardly an accolade when our division consists of just 12 teams) next season, I'll be absolutely dumbfounded.

We should be aiming for the title as whoever ends up winning the SPL this season will arguably be the worst side to do so.

celtic and their nephews are truly dire teams.

A solid hardworking spine gives you a great shout of top six in our league. It's the ability of your flair players that will decide if you can get upto the 3rd or 4th spots.

We never had the correct mix in either of those areas this season. 

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, GeorgeStreetReds said:

Surely the work permit would already have been sorted out by now considering he was appointed manager over 2 weeks ago now. Would seem strange to leave it to the last minute.

He's mentioned himself that red tape a hold up and not leaving it until last minute if plan is 3rd June and putting in application around now

5 hours ago, 20two20 said:

Not likely.

Not only is the financial gap more of a gulf, but if you want to succeed in Scotland you have to play the OF teams twice as often as any normal league.

Which funnily enough pretty much guarantees the OF domination even in a season they underperform.

• Upvote 2
  • Dildo 1
8 hours ago, JakieBastard said:

Big difference for me is that Shankland has been making little comments to the media for months now to say he wants away.

He'll definitely be away this summer and it will probably impact the fee they get for him.

While I'm sure we'll also lose Bojan (and the board will probably be thinking this is the key window to maximise our profit), he's never publicly indicated he wants to move

Has he?

Which comments specifically did he say that?

33 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Has he?

Said this week that he wouldn't want to finish his career without 'finding his level', and he hasn't done so yet.

Also said that he has a responsibility to himself and his family to set himself up. He's not going to come out and say he wants out this summer, but it's pretty clear he does.

• Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Has he?

IMG-7763.png

that he wants to play at a higher level than hearts for one? 20 hours ago, on a hearts page called hearts standard. Solely for hearts fans.

A would read out of that that he’s away givin his age and ambitions

5 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Maybe we should wait and see how our summer recruitment goes first before predicting where we will/should finish? 

Maybe wait and see if Jimmy survives beyond xmas. 
DC gives him a decent budget and expectations go thru the roof but we lose the first few games, fans will turn quickly and thats the start of the end. 

14 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

IMG-7763.png

that he wants to play at a higher level than hearts for one? 20 hours ago, on a hearts page called hearts standard. Solely for hearts fans.

Fair enough

I asked, you delivered!

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

IMG-7763.png

Quite an apt sponsor in the article (Viessman) considering the metal plate Shankland seems to have that forms part of his abnormally shaped skull.

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Do you think miovski has been honking?

Think he's bottled it in front of goal a few times, but he's not been as poor as Shankland in his general play. See him in their semi v the Huns. Couldn't make a 5 yard pass.

• Upvote 1