The Jimmy Thelin Thread...

17 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Who’s to say they won’t struggle with both Europe and domestic football? 

Maybe they will, but they're already ahead of the game with bringing players in to bulk out their squad with proven SPFL premiership level players that will go a long way to not falling into the trap that most Scottish teams do in Europe.

4 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

They're the least shite this season out of the other 10 clubs.

Facts are thought 6 different teams have finished 3rd over the past 7 seasons, no team has consolidated their place as the '3rd best team' simply because there's very little between the teams overall outside of the Glasgow bigots. 

Hearts didn't start the season particularly well (3 wins from first 10) and they're not ending it very well either (highly doubt they'll have more than 4 wins from their final 12 games). They're where they are because of a great run they had in the middle of the season. 

They're maybe not shite but they're not that great either and even with a couple of decent signings they're not uncatchable next season, especially with at least 8 and quite possible more European games. Not for 1 second suggesting we'll finish 3rd but there's no guarantees they will either.

I already touched on Hearts recent form in an earlier comment. But surely the fact that they're so clearly 3rd despite their recent form tells us that they're obviously not shite? You don't win 9 games and draw 1 in a 10 game bracket by being lucky.

Obviously it's all hypothetical, but they've already made 3 signings which tells me they've learned from our mistakes. I don't think it'll be as easy as us making a couple of decent signings and we'll catch them. Hence why I was saying that if Thelin needs a season of iffy results where we only get top 6 to get us into a foundationally stronger position to build on I'm not going to be raging at it.

Even the "good" core players that we have now might not be his style of player. 

15 minutes ago, 20two20 said:

Maybe they will, but they're already ahead of the game with bringing players in to bulk out their squad with proven SPFL premiership level players that will go a long way to not falling into the trap that most Scottish teams do in Europe.

I already touched on Hearts recent form in an earlier comment. But surely the fact that they're so clearly 3rd despite their recent form tells us that they're obviously not shite? You don't win 9 games and draw 1 in a 10 game bracket by being lucky.

Obviously it's all hypothetical, but they've already made 3 signings which tells me they've learned from our mistakes. I don't think it'll be as easy as us making a couple of decent signings and we'll catch them. Hence why I was saying that if Thelin needs a season of iffy results where we only get top 6 to get us into a foundationally stronger position to build on I'm not going to be raging at it.

Hearts to be fair, last season bombed allowing us to pip them to 3rd whilst they were also trying to deal with the groups

A lot of similarities in them last season to us this season only they weren't nearly as shit as us

3 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Hearts to be fair, last season bombed allowing us to pip them to 3rd whilst they were also trying to deal with the groups

A lot of similarities in them last season to us this season only they weren't nearly as shit as us

That's not true, their worst form was after they were out of Europe.

• Upvote 3
6 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Seem to have learned their lesson and gotten in early with pre-contracts though.

8 minutes ago, GeorgeStreetReds said:

How has this thread turned into a Hearts discussion?

Poor Jimmy if he's reading all of this.

My bad, I'll get us back on track with a Jimmy-centric rendition of the "The Be Sharps" acapella classic "Baby on board" from The Simpsons.

Jimmy's on boaaaaard, how I'll adoooooore

Your calendar from my AberDNAAAAAAA

I've got a bounce in my step, cuz you're better than Pep

As I'm walking down Merkland laaaaaaaane

Call me a sheeeeep, but I won't make a peep

Your little shining smile can't be ignooooooored

I'm telling you it's mighty nice, each trips a trip to paradise

Now we've got Jimmyyyyyy, on BOOOOOOOOOOOARD

I would like to formally apologise to everyone for putting this out into the world. If you don't hear from me again, you'll know why.

1 hour ago, 20two20 said:

We won 7 in a row and 8 out of 9 last season under Robson and as this season showed with him as manager we were most definitely lucky to go on that kind of run. If they were genuinely that good then the run of good form would have been consistent across the season, especially considering they didn't have Europe to also contend with.

I'm not suggesting they're a bad side at all but Scottish football over the past 10 years has shown that one good swallow does not make a Summer. Kilmarnock finished 3rd with 67 points (probably as much or more than Hearts will this season) in 2019 and were 8th the season after. Hibs finished 3rd with 63 points in 2021 (Hearts will probably have more this season but not by any significant margin) and then also finished 8th the season after.

Hearts are deservedly 3rd this season but they're nothing special. They had that hugely impressive run of 16 games between November and February where they won 13, drew 1 and lost 2. But across the other 19 games before and after that run they've won 6, drawn 5 and lost 8 which is no better than most of the other teams in the league outside the top 2. 

Hearts may finish 3rd next season, they may also finish bottom 6. Thats the kind of league we have. Neither Hearts, us or any other team will consistently take 3rd place.

3 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Hearts may finish 3rd next season, they may also finish bottom 6. Thats the kind of league we have. Neither Hearts, us or any other team will consistently take 3rd place.

I agree with the majority of your points but surely you have to admit that Hearts are in a far stronger position than anyone else?

Most of the comments against what I've said is that all we need to do is make a couple of good signings and we're back in the running for 3rd, I just don't think that's the case when there's other teams already stronger than us who will all also be looking to strengthen or at least deepen their squad in the summer. Hearts have literally ALREADY added depth to next seasons squad.

38 minutes ago, 20two20 said:

I agree with the majority of your points but surely you have to admit that Hearts are in a far stronger position than anyone else?

Most of the comments against what I've said is that all we need to do is make a couple of good signings and we're back in the running for 3rd, I just don't think that's the case when there's other teams already stronger than us who will all also be looking to strengthen or at least deepen their squad in the summer. Hearts have literally ALREADY added depth to next seasons squad.

They are in a stronger position than anyone else, but many teams have been in that strong position over the past decade and haven't capitalized on it and there's no reason to think Hearts will be any different. 

There's every chance we 'could' be in the running for 3rd next season based on the past decade in Scottish football. Not suggesting that we will but its not beyond the realms of possibility. We've been absolutely dire this season but are likely to end the season with less defeats than we did last year when we finished 3rd and in fact at this stage we've only lost 4 games more than Hearts all season. We've drawn far too many games this season but turn 4 or 5 of those draws into wins and cut out the shocking performances that have lead to defeats (St Johnstone at home, Kilmarnock 3 times, St Mirren twice which included chucking away a win deep in injury time) and we'll be a hell of a lot closer to 3rd than we are just now. That's actually not a big ask with a decent manager on board, which we should have next season. 

For me as long as we're seeing progress on the pitch next season, better football and top 6 and hopefully European qualification then that will do for starters under Jimmy.

• Upvote 2
35 minutes ago, 20two20 said:

They also are likely to lose (as we are) the player who contributed the most goals. Shankland in terms of goals turning to points they've relied on more than we have for Miovski. Hearts drop off in results the last 10 games or so is more average Hearts. Basically as soon as Shankland's fluke streak ended they've fallen in to being average.

On top of that the depth they've added, no-one knows if that will work or not. Plenty of examples over the years of signing players from around the top flight who have been shite when "stepping up".

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, afc_blockhead said:

They also are likely to lose (as we are) the player who contributed the most goals. Shankland in terms of goals turning to points they've relied on more than we have for Miovski. Hearts drop off in results the last 10 games or so is more average Hearts. Basically as soon as Shankland's fluke streak ended they've fallen in to being average.

On top of that the depth they've added, no-one knows if that will work or not. Plenty of examples over the years of signing players from around the top flight who have been shite when "stepping up".

Stewart being one of the most disappointing 

1 hour ago, 20two20 said:

How many of those clubs are away to take in £8-10 million in transfer and compensation fees?

• Upvote 1

The European hangover is an over done excuse imo. For the 6 or so games that are in the same GW as a league game, clubs like us should be competent enough at building a squad capable of filling in & rotating. The reason we couldn’t was due to fucking up recruitment, including having absolutely no cover for our 30+ year old skipper. 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, 20two20 said:

Yours  underestimating how bad a manager Robson and Warnock were for us. I won’t disagree that hearts have a better side. But equally our squad has shown if we can keep clean sheets we can win games. Had we sacked Robson sooner and gave it to Leven till end of the season their is no doubt in my mind we would be in the top 6 and probably in Europe this season. I wasn’t against Warnock at the time but wow he was worse than Robson. Thelin is no sure thing but I’m already looking forward to next season. We just need a good summer of recruitment and I’m confident of a good season. 

29 minutes ago, slippers said:

Yours  underestimating how bad a manager Robson and Warnock were for us. I won’t disagree that hearts have a better side. But equally our squad has shown if we can keep clean sheets we can win games. Had we sacked Robson sooner and gave it to Leven till end of the season there is no doubt in my mind we would be in the top 6 and probably in Europe this season. I wasn’t against Warnock at the time but wow he was worse than Robson. Thelin is no sure thing but I’m already looking forward to next season. We just need a good summer of recruitment  and I’m confident of a good season. 

Given the last few summers, that sentence is doing some amount of heavy lifting 

Chris Badlan is a completely unknown quantity to be fair, so who knows?

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, 20two20 said:

Hearts only need to strengthen a little bit to be quite clearly the next best team in the country.

We have to strengthen a fucking lot to not be embarrassing again next season.

Lol. What a fucking panic merchant. Hearts are shit. They're a slightly better standard of shit than we are but to get yourself so worked up to the point you have to try and validate points to big up Hearts is laughable.

They're getting 3rd well done. They deserve third but the league has been shit this year. So many poor teams which Hearts have managed to get points from when we've fucked up. Tell me the last time the top six contained Dundee, St Mirren and Killie? Hearts should be comfortably beating them just like I would have expected Aberdeen or Hibs to do if they had their shit together.

For example us capitulating at St Mirren Park losing two goals in a minute or whatever it was wouldn't happen to Hearts because they have a dependable solid keeper who talks to the defenders in front of him and keeps them calm. Sadly teams like St Mirren could smell blood playing against Roos. 

Hearts are shit - shit I tell you. Feel content to convince yourself otherwise if it makes you feel better. 

Just one last point. I do note that you're willing to downplay our 3rd place last year and say we were shit you can't accept someone else pointing out that Hearts are shit. 

Dear oh dear.

• Upvote 1

Hearts capitulated in their Scottish Cup semi, we were right up there in ours... We have a squad when motivated that can rival anything Hearts have to offer ergo we're not that far away from the quality required to be up there for 3rd. What we've needed this season is a manager capable of getting the best out of the experienced players and developing the up and comers. We haven't had that. Again. I believe that Thelin will deliver that, he's got form. Will be interesting to see who and what type of player he brings in and in my opinion I can't wait to see what sort of pre season we have as we've been invariably unprepared and lacking in match fitness for years even way back to the DMc years. I really hope he hits the ground running. There's a massive expectation to deliver and quickly. Dildo that...

• Upvote 4
  • Dildo 1
11 hours ago, 20two20 said:

Genuinely think he'll be a very good striker once he gets more game time, not sure he'll entirely close the Miovski gap though.

He won’t but if we can get a few players in with the money raised then the plan has to be to make the overall team better. 

we aren’t getting the benefit of miovskis all round game cause his team mates are a bit shite. 

it’s imperative any funds are spent wisely. We’ve made fucking millions the last few years from McKenna, Ferguson, Ramsay, Cosgrove, mccorrie…. It’s a disgrace how shit we are and how we’ve clearly wasted the money on shite players, shite management teams and useless back room board staff

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Proud Dandy said:

The European hangover is an over done excuse imo. For the 6 or so games that are in the same GW as a league game, clubs like us should be competent enough at building a squad capable of filling in & rotating. The reason we couldn’t was due to fucking up recruitment, including having absolutely no cover for our 30+ year old skipper. 

We had a squad good enough to do some rotating but we just had a very shit manager

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, Proud Dandy said:

This is an ignorant thing to say

The definition of ignorant, actually 

19 minutes ago, Millertime said:

This is an ignorant thing to say

The definition of ignorant, actually 

Says the person that claimed we were the same as Hearts last season, despite them actually getting worse in the latter parts of the season with no European involvement. 

We used one of the smallest player pools in the league under Robson despite having the budget to be able to rotate, my point is the drop off shouldn’t be anywhere near as material as it was and our squad players should be capable of stepping in so we can still beat the likes of County & St Johnstone after a European game 

11 hours ago, Broken_Glass said:

Lol. What a fucking panic merchant. Hearts are shit. They're a slightly better standard of shit than we are *but to get yourself so worked up to the point you have to try and validate points to big up Hearts is laughable.

They're getting 3rd well done. They deserve third but the league has been shit this year. So many poor teams which Hearts have managed to get points from when we've fucked up. Tell me the last time the top six contained Dundee, St Mirren and Killie? Hearts should be comfortably beating them just like I would have expected Aberdeen or Hibs to do if they had their shit together.

For example us capitulating at St Mirren Park losing two goals in a minute or whatever it was wouldn't happen to Hearts because they have a dependable solid keeper who talks to the defenders in front of him and keeps them calm. Sadly teams like St Mirren could smell blood playing against Roos. 

Hearts are shit - shit I tell you. Feel content to convince yourself otherwise if it makes you feel better. 

**Just one last point. I do note that you're willing to downplay our 3rd place last year and say we were shit you can't accept someone else pointing out that Hearts are shit. 

Dear oh dear.

The irony of you typing a short story after writing this* line is hilarious btw lol.

**The second worst points total of 3rd place outside the covid season is objectively shit, Hearts having the opportunity to have the second best points total of 3rd place in the last 20 years and already having the "average" 3rd place points with 3 games to go means they are at absolute worst, average, not shite. Even if they lose their last 3 games.

What was your point caller?

• Upvote 1
  • Dildo 1
14 hours ago, NEM said:

How many of those clubs are away to take in £8-10 million in transfer and compensation fees?

Ross McCrorie - £2m

Ylber Ramadani - £1m

Calvin Ramsay (lol) - £4m

Lewis Ferguson - £1.6m

Remind me what we did with the last £8.6m we got? Not including our European money, which would easily tip us over the £10m mark?