AFC's Managers in the 21st Century - RANKED & WHY

4 hours ago, Simply Red said:

The “Gio” final🤮

You could argue that we stood a chance if Leighton didnt get assaulted by Wallace but im guessing we would have still got pumped. We were terrible and that was the corrupt ebt hun era, team full of superstars. I wasnt doing the conga that day. 

They were all wearing orange too, from memory 

On 4/11/2024 at 10:22 PM, JumboJET said:

Hi all. 

Not to distract from the enlightening "Next Manager" thread, here we can list how we would rank Aberdeen's (permanent & interim, not caretakers) managers in the 21st century and why we chose that order.

Here is my list.

1. Jimmy Calderwood - The UEFA Cup run is the club's greatest achievement this century. And although he wasn't perfect, supporting Aberdeen was enjoyable. 
  2. Neil 'Warno' Warnock - In 10 years he will be looked back on with great fondness. He has laid the foundations for the next gaffer to succeed and also signed Hoilett, a player who would never even consider coming here without a personality like Warno. 
  3. Derek McInnes - Won a trophy. Failed in European competitions (despite some great results) and managed us in the easiest time to do so in our history. (No huns, Hibs or Hearts)
  4. Broonzer - Saved us from relegation and laid the foundations for Del
  5. Robson - Got us group stage European football when bottom six looked more likely. Fucked it this season.
  6. Glass - Had the right ideas, good result against Hacken. Just didn't work.
  7. Ebbe - Pretty shite but was good fun. Got us into Europe.
  8. Pele - Alchy who missed a match and had to leave in a car boot. He had little money to work with but still fucked it.
  9. Goodwin - A good talker but very, very shit. 5-0, Darvel, 6-0, made Cormack cry.
  10. McGhee - 9-0, his first press conference, Sigma, Ifil, would have been relegated

How about you?

JUMBY

Jumby, re point 1. Surely our greatest 21st century achievement so far is winning the league cup? The UEFA cup run was good fun, but of all the games we played we only actually beat Copenhagen and Dnipro and results went very much in our favour, in getting out the group.

point 4. Top shagger and signed Niall McGinn. 
point 2. I assume you’re taking the piss? 
point 7.  ‘The operation was a success but the patient died’….sums him up. Made playing the green and white minks an utter humiliation, home and away. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, madjockmcferson said:

sounds about right, though ill say at least goodwin's teams played some really nice football...albeit we got battered too often. still, i was at least entertained.  mcinness / calderwood a toss up. winning something > not winning something but getting out of that group was an amazing achievement and, if its possible, an under-rated one. certainly some of my best memories this century 

It really wasn't. 

3 teams out of 4 went through, and all we needed was a home draw against a pretty ordinary Lokomotiv side, and a win against a surprisingly shite Copenhagen.  I'll give you that draws against Dnipro and Bayern were good results, but I would say that away wins in Groningen and Rijeka under McInnes were better. 

McInnes consistently gave us strong European performances. We simply hit a one off in 2007 under Calderwood. 

^

It was three out of five teams who qualified from the UEFA group. All the other teams in our group had budgets that eclipsed ours multiple times over.

It was a great achievement to qualify from the group. Certainly more difficult than beating Alloa (on pens), Falkirk, Motherwell, St Johnstone, and Inverness (on pens).

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

As bad as McGhee was, he was on a hiding to nothing as there was practically zero budget for him to work with. 

To be fair to McGhee,  he came into what was akin to a holiday  camp,  lazy, unprofessional  regime  that was actively  encouraged. 

On 4/12/2024 at 11:03 PM, Schapenneuker said:

It really wasn't. 

3 teams out of 4 went through, and all we needed was a home draw against a pretty ordinary Lokomotiv side, and a win against a surprisingly shite Copenhagen.  I'll give you that draws against Dnipro and Bayern were good results, but I would say that away wins in Groningen and Rijeka under McInnes were better. 

McInnes consistently gave us strong European performances. We simply hit a one off in 2007 under Calderwood. 

1 qualifying round, 3 out of 5 teams got through.

It was a great result in getting past the Ukrainian team, and we won 1 out of the 4 group games.

In total, we won 1, drew 4 and lost 4, getting hammered in Greece, Spain and Germany.

I think the celebration of that Euro run just shows how far our club has sunk.

1/ McInnes.

2/ Calderwood.

3/ Brown.

4/ Robson. 

No-one else worth mentioning. Brown put decent foundations in place for McInnes he signed some good player like McGinn and Hayes.

Robson was so poor in the league this season but we had a decent euro run and got to a cup final. And getting us 3rd last season from the position we were in when he took over (think we were 10 points behind Hearts) was a great achievement winning 8 of the last 9 league games pre split. That run last season basically got us a £5m windfall. Big win against 2022 EL winners Frankfurt. He was too tactically inflexible and didn't rotate the team enough but I'm pretty sure he didn't have much input in most of the players we signed in the summer.

McInnes first and Jimmy second. 

If you take away those two it’s difficult to find passable seasons never mind a managerial record which stands up to scrutiny. 

2001-2002 under Ebbe was fun. Some great games that season - beating Celtic 2-0 in the snow, 4-3 at Easter Road, 3-2 at Dens. 

Mate and I were chased down Potterow  in Edinburgh by some Hibs fans after the game at Pittodrie where Zerouali almost missed and open goal.