Grampian Chippers

3 hours ago, maryhilldon said:

Can't remember if I've bought a chippy in Edinburgh, Shirley plain old salt and vinegar is also an option?

thi siy "salt n sauc” wi the sauc btl poised..eh siy "s&v” n thir aghast, so ye dae hae an option but it's sneerd it..best outlets ir goivannis near meadowbnk n berties n salvotores

20240507-203650.jpg

On the topic of chippers outside of the North East, why can’t anywhere south of Stoney do a proper white pudding? The white puddings you get elsewhere are absolutely disgusting. Tastes like overdone porridge squeezed into a sausage casing. 

Is this a simple case of nomenclature? I know there is some confusion over the difference between a white pudding and a mealy pudding. 

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Ramandu said:

It's brown sauce mixed with vinegar. Offered in every chippy in Edinburgh instead of vinegar (or it used to be).

The problem is that they always douse the chips and whatever else you’re having in it. Lacks the subtlety of malt vinegar. Although perhaps it appeals more to your average Muirhouse smack head.

On 5/8/2024 at 9:06 AM, BrisDon said:

On the topic of chippers outside of the North East, why can’t anywhere south of Stoney do a proper white pudding? The white puddings you get elsewhere are absolutely disgusting. Tastes like overdone porridge squeezed into a sausage casing. 

Is this a simple case of nomenclature? I know there is some confusion over the difference between a white pudding and a mealy pudding. 

Was thinking exactly the same

1 hour ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Is the Carron Chipper/Chippy/Chip Shop/Fish Bar (formerly known as The Haven?🤔) in Stonehaven still open?

It served/serves the best Macaroni Pie suppers I've ever had the pleasure of consuming.

It is aye - poor mans the Bay chipper though

26 minutes ago, NEM said:

Fair doos min. 👍

The last chipper I went to in Stonehaven was just down fae the Legion and across from The Market Bar. Canna remember it's name.🤔

A Macaroni Pie supper served with a sprinkling of cheese on top of a sauceless macaroni pie.

Still perfectly edible though.

54 minutes ago, NEM said:

18 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Fair doos min. 👍

The last chipper I went to in Stonehaven was just down fae the Legion and across from The Market Bar. Canna remember it's name.🤔

A Macaroni Pie supper served with a sprinkling of cheese on top of a sauceless macaroni pie.

Still perfectly edible though.

He's talking shite. Bay is overpriced pish. Carron the working man's chippy.

4 minutes ago, The Boofon said:

He's talking shite. Bay is overpriced pish. Carron the working man's chippy.

I'll take no chip related advice from a man who uses a complete benders term to describe a chipper........!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Downvote 1
24 minutes ago, NEM said:

I'll take no chip related advice from a man who uses a complete benders term to describe a chipper........!

I’m straight as a battered sausage.

Carron > Bay in the chipper cup.

• Upvote 1

I know it’s not Grampian but if your ever down this way, the fish works in largs is generally in the top 10 best British chippy awards and has won 1st prize, expensive mind, fish supper is about 12 quid but worth it, comes with a wedge of lemon(like it should but normally don’t get from anywhere else) and the mushy peas are to die for(beef stock,vinegar).

to finish off across the road at the ice cream parlour (not nardinis), they do melted ferrer rocher sauce and put it in the bottom of the cone and then your flavour of gelato.mmmmmm.

IMG-7768.png

• Dildo 1
8 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

I know it’s not Grampian but if your ever down this way, the fish works in largs is generally in the top 10 best British chippy awards and has won 1st prize, expensive mind, fish supper is about 12 quid but worth it, comes with a wedge of lemon(like it should but normally don’t get from anywhere else) and the mushy peas are to die for(beef stock,vinegar).

to finish off across the road at the ice cream parlour (not nardinis), they do melted ferrer rocher sauce and put it in the bottom of the cone and then your flavour of gelato.mmmmmm.

IMG-7768.png

It’s a decent chipper. The wife paid so no complaints from me on the price.

• Upvote 1
On 5/6/2024 at 1:42 PM, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

I'll pass that on to my Mother min.😄

Just so happens, she's going down to Scarborough via Whitby on Friday for a few nights. (Simpson's Bus Tours Mini Break).

Does the inspiration for the story of Dracula by Bram Stoker originate in Whitby orissa actually Cruden Bay?🤔

Whitby is where the boat carrying Dracula's coffin docks in the book.  Cruden Bay supposed to inspire Drac's castle.

29 minutes ago, Don Fonte said:

Some of you ladz need to get yer hole big time.

Not in too reading don?, guess the only practice you get is when your reading the wee info leaflet you get with your venereal disease cream.

good to keep up the practice a suppose.you’ll have that leaflet memorised by now surely?.

20 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

Not in too reading don?, guess the only practice you get is when your reading the wee info leaflet you get with your venereal disease cream.

good to keep up the practice a suppose.you’ll have that leaflet memorised by now surely?.

Suggest you start reading this.

improve_your_english.jpg

• Haha 1