The Champions League

just sat through the liverpool and PSV game and to i realised that this tournament IMO is ruining football, the European cup was the most prestigous tourney in the world but now almost anyone can get in.

alot of tournaments in the UK especially are not getin the respect they deserve. i.e the scottish cup and league cup and the english fa and league cups. the old firm and the top 4-6 down south are only interested in qualifying for the champions league. the uefa cup doesnt even mean much to alot of teams anymore. winning a trohpy doesnt seem to mean anything to these teams.

steven gerrard tonight became liverpools most prolific scorer in the european cup ever and jamie carragher now has more appearances than any other liverpool player in the same competition, no wonder they have achieved this they are there every year, players like barnes and rush were only there on the odd occasion because you actually had to win the f*cking league to do it.

Guest LondonScottish
just sat through the liverpool and PSV game and to i realised that this tournament IMO is ruining football, the European cup was the most prestigous tourney in the world but now almost anyone can get in.

alot of tournaments in the UK especially are not getin the respect they deserve. i.e the scottish cup and league cup and the english fa and league cups. the old firm and the top 4-6 down south are only interested in qualifying for the champions league. the uefa cup doesnt even mean much to alot of teams anymore. winning a trohpy doesnt seem to mean anything to these teams.

steven gerrard tonight became liverpools most prolific scorer in the european cup ever and jamie carragher now has more appearances than any other liverpool player in the same competition, no wonder they have achieved this they are there every year, players like barnes and rush were only there on the odd occasion because you actually had to win the f*cking league to do it.

But Uefa are looking into putting the winner of the equivalent FA cups into the Champions League instead of the the last available league place. Would cartainly make the domestic cups a hell of a lot more interesting for most teams apart from us, cos we struggle to get through round bloody one!!!!!

But Uefa are looking into putting the winner of the equivalent FA cups into the Champions League instead of the the last available league place. Would cartainly make the domestic cups a hell of a lot more interesting for most teams apart from us, cos we struggle to get through round bloody one!!!!!

i didnt know this. this would certainly make it much better and open some doors for smaller clubs apart from us as you said.

UEFA should just admit they made a mistake and bring back the Cup Winners Cup! :o

Well maybe not but the Cup winners getting into the Champions League is far better than 4th or 5th in some of the top leagues having a team in there which really just demeans the competition and the point of it being called the Champions League! :blink:

UEFA should just admit they made a mistake and bring back the Cup Winners Cup! :blink:

Well maybe not but the Cup winners getting into the Champions League is far better than 4th or 5th in some of the top leagues having a team in there which really just demeans the competition and the point of it being called the Champions League! :o

Agree, Champions League should mean what it says - the champions of all the countries playing. Have as many other euro competitions as you want but the Champions League should only be played between the champions. Another thing, why, at certain stages in the Champions League, should teams getting knocked out have the "safety net" of the UEFA cup??

Getting off my :laughing: now, :o

I was thinking this as I was watching Liverpool play PSV for the third time this season.

I think it would be different if Aberdeen were involved, obviously, but I remember when I used to be really interested in all the games and watch all the highlights programme. I still don't even know how the Liverpool game finished. I assume they won, but I haven't actually checked the score yet.

I got bored and watched CSI instead and never bothered to check the score before I went to bed.

Champions League? Meh.........

I am bored of it, yes. I only tune into it these days if Man Utd or Barcelona are playing, I have no interest in any other team to be honest. There is no longer any real appeal - as chunk mentions, this is the third time Liverpool have played PSV this year. Too many teams and too little variety. At the very most there should be only 2 teams from each domestic league as it is a real turn off these days.

Not bored of it, but there are some games that look more appealing than others. Last night's PSV v Liverpool match was one of the former.

Found a great way to break up the monotony of it, though - went to Hampden for the second time in two weeks last night, this time to see Queens Park v East Stirling. A decent match, three good goals, and not too many people watching the Champions leagues on nearby tvs!

I am bored of it, yes. I only tune into it these days if Man Utd or Barcelona are playing, I have no interest in any other team to be honest. There is no longer any real appeal - as chunk mentions, this is the third time Liverpool have played PSV this year. Too many teams and too little variety. At the very most there should be only 2 teams from each domestic league as it is a real turn off these days.

Maybe League winners and Cup winners from each country enter a new style Champions League with 2nd, 3rd and 4th place teams in UEFA Cup? :cry:

I'm afraid to say that I'm still absolutely enthralled by the Champions League...... I find the EPL quite boring and predictable, whilst I don't often get the chance to watch much SPL football, so the Champions League is only time I get a little bit excited about club football...... apart from when I'm down the City Ground, that is! :itch-chin:

Really looking forward to watching players like Totti, Mancini, Villa and Joaquim this evening, top players that I very rarely get the opportunity to see in action.

The Champs League is fookin' magic!

Personally, I like to watch the contrasting styles of football from the different competing countries. For me it's never gotten dull, as the balance of power has never really sat with one country (brilliant to see the likes of Barca and Real out already).

2005 - 2006 Barcelona

2004 - 2005 Liverpool

2003 - 2004 Porto

2002 - 2003 Milan

2001 - 2002 Real Madrid

2000 - 2001 Bayern

1999 - 2000 Real Madrid

1998 - 1999 Man. United

1997 - 1998 Real Madrid

1996 - 1997 Dortmund

1995 - 1996 Juventus

1994 - 1995 Ajax

1993 - 1994 Milan

1992 - 1993 Marseille

1991 - 1992 Barcelona

1990 - 1991 Crvena Zvezda

This year, I've got my fingers crossed for a Man U v Liverpool final, but doubt it'll happen.

I will say though, that in it's current format, it heavily favours teams from Germany/Italy/Spain/England. In an ideal world, it would only be the league champions that competed, but that's never going to happen now.

Just sit back and enjoy folks! It's a hell of a lot better than watching some of the drivel that is served up to us in Scotland.

The Champs League is fookin' magic!

Personally, I like to watch the contrasting styles of football from the different competing countries. For me it's never gotten dull, as the balance of power has never really sat with one country (brilliant to see the likes of Barca and Real out already).

2007 - 2008 Aberdeen

2006 - 2007 ********** ******

2005 - 2006 Barcelona

2004 - 2005 Liverpool

2003 - 2004 Porto

2002 - 2003 Milan

2001 - 2002 Real Madrid

2000 - 2001 Bayern

1999 - 2000 Real Madrid

1998 - 1999 Man. United

1997 - 1998 Real Madrid

1996 - 1997 Dortmund

1995 - 1996 Juventus

1994 - 1995 Ajax

1993 - 1994 Milan

1992 - 1993 Marseille

1991 - 1992 Barcelona

1990 - 1991 Crvena Zvezda

This year, I've got my fingers crossed for a Man U v Liverpool final, but doubt it'll happen.

I will say though, that in it's current format, it heavily favours teams from Germany/Italy/Spain/England. In an ideal world, it would only be the league champions that competed, but that's never going to happen now.

Just sit back and enjoy folks! It's a hell of a lot better than watching some of the drivel that is served up to us in Scotland.

;)

Never thought I'd say this but got so bored of the footy tonight I found myself watching the cricket! :o

Don't know if anyone else saw it but turned into a great finish. :dontknow:

All down to the last ball with Sri Lanka beating England 235 to 233! :laughing:

Ah the irony of the time you made that post at (ignoring that it was in the pm)

Apprentice for me last night, but sounds like the cricket could have been entertaining

Archived