Best League in the world?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Best League in the world?

• SPL
    • Premiership
    • La Liga
    • Seria A
    • Other

Not long back from the pub and was having a discussion with a chelsea glory hunting mate about which is the best league in the world. He reckons the premiership and points to the financial success of the league and also based on the fact they have 3 english teams in the last 8 of the champions league. I reckon la liga is miles better as they play far better football and overall it's more enjoyable to watch, plus spanish clubs have had their fair share of success in european competitions during recent years.

Just wondered which league you lot reckoned was the best?

Not long back from the pub and was having a discussion with a chelsea glory hunting mate about which is the best league in the world. He reckons the premiership and points to the financial success of the league and also based on the fact they have 3 english teams in the last 8 of the champions league. I reckon la liga is miles better as they play far better football and overall it's more enjoyable to watch, plus spanish clubs have had their fair share of success in european competitions during recent years.

Just wondered which league you lot reckoned was the best?

The SPL for me.

Guest El Padre
EPL it has to be, no other league in the world has players and teams like it.

Apart from the Spanish league. :applause:

The EPL is over hyped nonsense, outside the top 4 there's f*ck all of interest to anyone. :applause:

Guest TenementFunster

The 2nd Division in England, laughingly packaged as the "Championship".

So many teams in the frame with a lot to play for. Most other leagues in Europe have one or two teams miles ahead of the rest.

The 2nd Division in England, laughingly packaged as the "Championship".

So many teams in the frame with a lot to play for. Most other leagues in Europe have one or two teams miles ahead of the rest.

I really hope you're fishing here. The standard of football in the Championship is f*cking dire.

The best league in the world is La Liga, and has been for sometime.

I really hope you're fishing here. The standard of football in the Championship is f*cking dire.

He's not fishing.

He doesn't mean the standard of football, he means the competitiveness, and the 'anything' can happen factor.

I would probably say La Liga is the best league.

There is a bit of an anomoly with only one Spanish team in the last 8 of the Champions League, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Valencia win it.

He's not fishing.

He doesn't mean the standard of football, he means the competitiveness, and the 'anything' can happen factor.

There is a bit of an anomoly with only one Spanish team in the last 8 of the Champions League, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Valencia win it.

so you could pretty much include any league in the world as long as it's competitive, no matter how poor the standard?? Don't really think that's what's in question, do you?

Guest TenementFunster

I have seen some bloody terrible games in La Liga too. Sure the outright quality of football in Spain will be light years away from 2nd Division but in terms of winning it, you don't need to look very far down the league for the likely protagonists. Hardly exciting.

Dutch football is remarkably technical and also remarkably boring.

In truth, I and I suspect most folks, don't see enough of most leagues around Europe to KNOW what the best league is and it's a fairly subjective judgement anyway. You like different leagues for different things. I always quite liked the German league and Football Italia was a must see.

so you could pretty much include any league in the world as long as it's competitive, no matter how poor the standard?? Don't really think that's what's in question, do you?

f*ck off, what are you having a go at me for?

I was just telling you he wasn't fishing.

If he thinks that's the best, then yes, he can include whatever he likes. Just because it doesn't answer the question in a way you think is appropriate doesn't make it any less valid.

Guest TenementFunster

Don't really think it isn't either. How many leagues in the world have a prize like the one that comes with promotion from the Championship?

Don't really think it isn't either. How many leagues in the world have a prize like the one that comes with promotion from the Championship?

That doesn't make it the best league though does it? That league is filled with dross. Even Kev McNaughton recently said that if Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs were to play down there, they'd all be in promotion and play off places in their first season. It's a poor, poor standard of football.

Guest TenementFunster
That doesn't make it the best league though does it? That league is filled with dross. Even Kev McNaughton recently said that if Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs were to play down there, they'd all be in promotion and play off places in their first season. It's a poor, poor standard of football.

Why doesn't it? There's plenty of teams, each year, with a chance of winning it, not always the same ones, occasionally one of them streaks away with it but the play off places add some excitement for the greater part of the season. There's genuine interest for a large proportion of the league and I disagree about the standard of the football.

I reckon AFC would struggle to get a top six place.

The SPL for me as I just don't care about any other league in the world.

Or to look at it another way, yes I know most on here would like to slip Kelly Brook a length, but those with good ladies are more than happy with what they wake up next to.

Did that come out right? :dontknow:

Guest TenementFunster
The SPL for me as I just don't care about any other league in the world.

Or to look at it another way, yes I know most on here would like to slip Kelly Brook a length, but those with good ladies are more than happy with what they wake up next to.

Did that come out right? :dontknow:

Surprisingly, I understand your logic perfectly.

I don't particularly care much for any other league either but I'm well aware the league I do care for has a lot of shortcoming that make it NOT the best league in the world. Well, we're in it for a start.

Guest TenementFunster
Its hard to chose just one TF, I'm a c*nt when it comes to chosing. I want more than just the one. Think of a league being a bird, you can't just have one bird can you? It's impossible to chose between many fit birds.

The talent in all the leagues are brilliant!!!

There's a couple of munters in your selection unfortunately Robo!! :dontknow:

Bundesliga is interesting as is the Premiership.

I suppose I enjoy the prem because MOTD is the best football programme on TV with excellent coverage of the matches - I'm not a fan of any particular team, I just enjoy watching it.

I find it hard to say I enjoy watching the SPL though. I enjoy it in as much as my team plays in it, and I'll keep track of some of the news and results on other teams but that is it. This lack of interest is mainly due to the poor media coverage of the SPL.

We all know the failings of ScotsportSPL, and I think we'd be hard pressed to find anyone who actually likes it. The pundits are terrible, highlights are laughable and it simply revolves around the OF.

The same goes for most of the papers, the Glasgow red-tops believe that the OF are the centre of the Universe and the Edinburgh broadsheets can fill their sport pages with stories from Brazil 1970 and the goings on at the LSC. All us other teams should be content with our scores being printed and the odd side column.

Lets be honest: the SPL is sh*te, the quaility of football is generally rotten, it is not very exciting and the only reason we put up with it is because Aberdeen FC play in it.

As for best league in the world, probably Serie A in Brazil: Watching magnificent football, in the sun, with birds in bikinis.

B)

Guest TenementFunster
ha ha. Yes, but like we all haven't chosen a munter at least once in our life.

Beggars can't be chosers Robo.

He's not fishing.

Agreed on all counts. The championship is really hotting up at the moment. I think that the top 9 teams are still capable of promotion from the playoffs. The football might not be the best but football isnt all about sexy play. Its about the excitement of winning and losing, if you get gucci football along the way well thats an added bonus.

As for valencia i tipped them in another thread ages ago

I used to like watching the South American football that channel 5 had on at 3 in the morning for a couple of years. Sublime skill Sublime skill, man taken out at waist height. Then again maybe it was the dozen pints of stella that made it more enjoyable, that and the fact I probaly dreamt half of it.

I suppose it depends on your definition of the word 'best'. If you mean the league with the best players, i would say La Liga although I think there has been a shift towards England in recent seasons. If you mean the league with the most excitement....I would go for the FA Premiership, because some of the greatest games I've ever seen were there - Liverpool v Man United, Liverpool v Newcastle, etc..........

But, the 'best' league for me is the SPL! The football has improved in recent seasons, and the game is about so much more than the actual bit we watch on the park every saturday. Where else would you get a club run by a banker who picks the team and sacks managers every few weeks; a small-time team who out of nowhere sign Ravanelli and start making overtures towards Edgar Davids; a team run by an angry shopowner who seems to see fortunes plummet the more money he chucks at them; or a team that has 'intelligent finance' sponsoring their their strips while in administration? Chuck in the fact its the only league where I really want a team to win every game (like to see Man U do well, but in the great scheme of things, who cares? They're not AFC) and the SPL is the best league for me. Ever.

Archived