Solskjaer disallowed goal

For anybody who hasn't seen it Schwarzer went to kick the ball out of his hands and Solskjaer flicked away from him (only making contact with the ball not the keeper) and rolled it into the empty net. The goal didn't count and he was booked for unsporting behaviour.

What do you think should that be allowed on the basis that it's clever or is it right ot book him as the keeper should have the right to actually kick it after throwing it up?

I can mind years ago someone (possibly Neil Webb), heading the ball out of the keepers hands as he was running back into play and scored form the result. I'm sure that was given, but the rules have probably changed since then (or my meory is sh*t, and it wasn't given).

George Best famously did something similar against Gordon Banks in 1971. From the BBC:

Still one of the highlights of Best's career, even though it ultimately counted for nothing.

Gordon Banks had enhanced his reputation as the best keeper in the world the previous summer with what is widely regarded as the greatest ever save - his save from Pele's header in the 1970 World Cup.

But Best almost made him look a stooge with a piece of lightning thinking.

Best was idling like a street-corner urchin as Banks prepared to punt the ball upfield. The England keeper tossed the ball into the air and in the instant he draw his leg back, Best toe-poked the ball upwards.

As a bemused Banks looked around for the ball, Best nodded it into the empty net, only for the referee to disallow the goal for dangerous play.

George Best famously did something similar against Gordon Banks in 1971. From the BBC:

Still one of the highlights of Best's career, even though it ultimately counted for nothing.

Gordon Banks had enhanced his reputation as the best keeper in the world the previous summer with what is widely regarded as the greatest ever save - his save from Pele's header in the 1970 World Cup.

But Best almost made him look a stooge with a piece of lightning thinking.

Best was idling like a street-corner urchin as Banks prepared to punt the ball upfield. The England keeper tossed the ball into the air and in the instant he draw his leg back, Best toe-poked the ball upwards.

As a bemused Banks looked around for the ball, Best nodded it into the empty net, only for the referee to disallow the goal for dangerous play.

At 02:50 on this clip.

I was watching MoTD last night and at first I was adamant that it should have been a goal, even though it was highly unsporting. However, Alan Shearer went and looked up the rules and clarified that it was an illegal move. Holding the ball and going to kick it are regarded as one action or something, so technically nicking it whilst the keeper was going to kick it is the same as kicking it out of the keepers hands. Case closed.

Shouldn't be allowed as it's unsporting, end of.

However, the one where the ball was headed out of Andy Dibble's hand a while ago in England was different as apparently if the keeper had the ball in one hand then it WAS allowed although the rules may have been changed to cover this in with the likes of the Solskjaer incident yesterday.

Shouldn't be allowed as it's unsporting, end of.

However, the one where the ball was headed out of Andy Dibble's hand a while ago in England was different as apparently if the keeper had the ball in one hand then it WAS allowed although the rules may have been changed to cover this in with the likes of the Solskjaer incident yesterday.

If i was a keeper i'd rather have it done the way Solskjaer done it as the ball is not in the keeper controle and it should be allowed, campare to it being headed or kicked out of a keepers hand it's not unsporting.

On another note does anyone think keepers are over pretected? It's just got really silly since Cechs injury and every keeper is over pretected by the ref it's shocking.

Anybody watch MOTD2, Stelios with his balloon, wonder if Doyle had missed that he would have been allowed to retake it because of unsporting behaviour. Funny though!

I was going to mention that on here yesterday but decided to wait and see if MoTD 2 would show it first. Someone rang in 606 on Sat night to talk about it. Highly unsporting - I wonder if it was done with Allardyce's approval?

I disagree that it's unsporting.

It's against the rules as it's seen as one move, but what's the difference if the keeper rolls the ball out on the deck to kick it clear, and the player nips in from behind him and scores (Dion Dublin did this a few season's back)?

Difference is the Dublin one is not against the rules. As said above the rule is maybe wrong but it is a rule so therefore it is illegal.