International Eligibility

What does everyone think about these eligibility rules? I'm all for the Scots team doing well - but I hate hearing English accents when 'Scots' are being interviewed. Obviously there are some cases where that's just someone moving away from Scotland at a young age, but we can use Nigel Quashie as an example...

Just been thinking about it after all the Chris Armstrong, James Morrison and Andrew Carroll chit chat. Does anyone know what Carroll's actual eligibility is? No reports I've seen have mentioned if it's a Scottish parent/grandparent/was born here...?

Morrison's dad is Scottish, so there's nothing wrong with that. Dunno much about the other two.

My three cousins were all brought up/born in teh Channel Islands (oldest was born in Aberdeen though), all speak with thick English accents but all three regard themselves Scottish due to having Scottish parents. Your own nationality is what your parents' is, domicile is a different matter. This is what legal statutes say anyway.

i don't agree with the granny rule though.

Morrison's dad is Scottish, so there's nothing wrong with that. Dunno much about the other two.

My three cousins were all brought up/born in teh Channel Islands (oldest was born in Aberdeen though), all speak with thick English accents but all three regard themselves Scottish due to having Scottish parents. Your own nationality is what your parents' is, domicile is a different matter. This is what legal statutes say anyway.

i don't agree with the granny rule though.

I don't either that means my daughters could represent England............................f*ck that

Sure Armstrong qualifies through grandfather... :thumbs:

But he played for England in Toulon Tourney and FA are saying we can't have him coz they want to keep him. :angry2:

SFA say Toulon isn't an official tournament according to the rules and so we can.... :angry2:

Right, I don't often admit this but...

I was born in England, my Dads work took him to England for a few years and I ended up being born there, I don't remember being born there as we moved home before I could walk, talk, or was even a year old. I consider myself 100% Scottish, my Dad is Scottish as were his Mam and Dad , and their Mam and Dad before, the same on my Mams side.

Now I live in England and my wee boy was born here, his mam is Irish, and all her family are Irish. In effect the boy has not a drop of English blood in him, and I fully intend to bring him so that he is completely aware of that.

Now barring the argument that he could play for Ireland, the only way, technically, he could play for Scotland is through the Granny rule. Would that be so wrong if he turns out to be the Scottish George Best or whatever.

Right, I don't often admit this but...

I was born in England, my Dads work took him to England for a few years and I ended up being born there, I don't remember being born there as we moved home before I could walk, talk, or was even a year old. I consider myself 100% Scottish, my Dad is Scottish as were his Mam and Dad , and their Mam and Dad before, the same on my Mams side.

Now I live in England and my wee boy was born here, his mam is Irish, and all her family are Irish. In effect the boy has not a drop of English blood in him, and I fully intend to bring him so that he is completely aware of that.

Now barring the argument that he could play for Ireland, the only way, technically, he could play for Scotland is through the Granny rule. Would that be so wrong if he turns out to be the Scottish George Best or whatever.

Ok. I had never thought of it like that. I just hate it when you get a guy who seems to have never thought of playing for Scotland - but just because his Gran was born here he'll give it a crack. You need players who dream to play for their country. Your son, will will be one of those it would seem.

I'm pissed off with the fact that just because someone plays in England then they must be better than anyone that plays in Scotland.

f*ck the grandparents rule. Unless they're willing to run through a brick wall for Scotland then they should f*ck off.

IMO nationality is a state of mind as much as anything.

I have no problem with the granny rule as long as the player in question has chosen the nation because he sees himself as native, rether than as a fall-back option.

Accents are irrelevant.

I'd even say birth-place is irrelevant. As has been described by those such as Baggy.

Motivation to play internatonal football should come from a pride and desire to represent your nation. If a player wants to play for Scotland for a different reason then they can f*ck off.

It's hard to take when some wee radge like McGeady decides to play for a different country, but if they see themselves as being a different nationality then both parties are better off without the other.