The monthly world rankings thread

I read somewhere that it's to do with results over the last few years, so all the Berti-era results are slowly being wiped out. We've got a 1-1 draw with New Zealand due to come off next month, so if we cna beat Austria and the Faroes, we should climb even higher in theory.

Yeh, i think yourr right. Although i thought it was just results over the last 52 weeks that it was based on, not sure though.

If you look at the rankings though, there isn't actually any teams above us that i wouldn't fancy our chances of beating.

Yeh, i think yourr right. Although i thought it was just results over the last 52 weeks that it was based on, not sure though.

If you look at the rankings though, there isn't actually any teams above us that i wouldn't fancy our chances of beating.

The new systems takes account of results over a period of years (5, I think) but are weighted differently - results from last year carry more weight than those from 5 years ago.

14th is just silly, there are several teams below us i would fancy to beat us.

The ranking will level out a bit. Reason we are so high is after beating teams at top end of rankings which gives you much more points than beating minnows near the bottom. The France result alone was worth about 10 places to us!!

Ridiculous system. 14th, who are we trying to kid!

Beating teams like France have shown we are capable. Maybe in a bit of a false position at the moment but same as the likes of Reading being up in top 5 or 6 in Premiership most of the season before slipping a bit!!

Ridiculous system. 14th, who are we trying to kid!

i dont think is overly ridiculous. Given that the best teams are mainly from Europe, we have to play these teams in every qualification round. i think Scotland have a lot of talented players,the 4/5 ( :thumbup1: ) of berti was a major set back but im convinced were going places.Maybe im just being to Pro Scotland thought-Supporting my country to much.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TenementFunster
i dont think is overly ridiculous. Given that the best teams are mainly from Europe, we have to play these teams in every qualification round. i think Scotland have a lot of talented players,the 4/5 ( :nono: ) of berti was a major set back but im convinced were going places.Maybe im just being to Pro Scotland thought-Supporting my country to much.

So we don't play and shoot up to 14th, we win both of our games and slump 9 places.

Not overly ridiculous at all. :dance:

So we don't play and shoot up to 14th, we win both of our games and slump 9 places.

Not overly ridiculous at all. :dance:

Northern Ireland also went up 4 places without playing a game this month! Saw Armenia went up 43 places after beating Poland. Fair enough you get more points for beating the better teams but to win both games and go down 9 places when others are going up without playing is, as you say, not overly ridiculous at all. :nono:

Northern Ireland also went up 4 places without playing a game this month! Saw Armenia went up 43 places after beating Poland. Fair enough you get more points for beating the better teams but to win both games and go down 9 places when others are going up without playing is, as you say, not overly ridiculous at all. :rolleyes:

I see the problem, we were rising through the rankings rapidly until we started playing again. The next time try and get the games postponed and we'll get back towards the top 10 :dance:

The system is a bit of a shambles.

The system is based on a rolling 5 year period.

We shot up the rankings because our losses in the Far East (our great Hong Kong select victory didn't count) under Bertie dropped out of consideration. Over the summer the games from 2002 World cup will also fall away so you can expect the next couple of months to be up and down. :rolleyes:

We can go up when we don't play if we lose losses out of our record whilst the teams around us lose wins out of theirs. :dontknow:

It's by far the best way of ranking teams.... :dance:

We shot up the rankings because our losses in the Far East (our great Hong Kong select victory didn't count) under Bertie dropped out of consideration. Over the summer the games from 2002 World cup will also fall away so you can expect the next couple of months to be up and down. :dontknow:

We can go up when we don't play if we lose losses out of our record whilst the teams around us lose wins out of theirs. :dontknow:

It's by far the best way of ranking teams.... :dance:

Ah, now it all seems so sensible :rolleyes:

Guest TenementFunster

We shot up the rankings because our losses in the Far East (our great Hong Kong select victory didn't count) under Bertie dropped out of consideration. Over the summer the games from 2002 World cup will also fall away so you can expect the next couple of months to be up and down. :dontknow:

We can go up when we don't play if we lose losses out of our record whilst the teams around us lose wins out of theirs. :dc:

It's by far the best way of ranking teams.... :angry2:

Thankyou Gordon Smith!!