40 years today

Forty years ago this week, a new mythology was created. A group of working class heroes took the world in a new, vibrant direction. No one had told these young men that they had a place in the world. Many came from poor, Irish immigrant families. What made their achievement all the more remarkable was the fact they all lived within such close proximity to one another. Many of them went to school together. They created hope, identity, inspiration and spawned countless imitations of their work. Creating new friends and fans wherever they played.

Today their impact is still felt. Wherever you go, people can name them. We all have our favourites. The older generation tell their stories, and strive in their memory for some rekindling of that happy time. The younger one

Guest LondonScottish

Can't blame them one bit for celebrating the 40 year anniversary. Are you trying to tell me we won't be seeing the odd special pull-out in celebration of our European success in many many years to come?? Good luck to them, that was a great team at the time; would you not be reminiscing heavily if Aberdeen had won the European Cup in 1967?

Anybody else scunnered to death with this constant p1sh being rammed down our throat in the national media. Really starting to bloody get on my tits. Lisbon this and Lisbon that............

WHO GIVES A FLUCK!

(Sorry but had to get that off my chest as it does my fluckin head right in these bloody @rseholes)

Can't blame them one bit for celebrating the 40 year anniversary. Are you trying to tell me we won't be seeing the odd special pull-out in celebration of our European success in many many years to come?? Good luck to them, that was a great team at the time; would you not be reminiscing heavily if Aberdeen had won the European Cup in 1967?

On the 10th year, 25th year then 50th year but 40th is just taking the piss, but this is timmys that we're talking about

The thing that annoys me is that the Celtic fans go on about the Lisbon Lions all the time and they are dragged out constantly for charity dos and the like. Usually to a great fanfare in the Weegie press.

HOWEVER, when we even mention Gothenburg we get accused of living in the past FFS

:thumbs:

I'm as anti-Celtic as the next man (unless the next man is Rod Stewart), but it was a great achievement to have 11 players who were born within 30 miles of Celtic Park win the European Cup, and fair play to them for celebrating the anniversary of it. Besides, Celtic will NEVER win anything in Europe again, so can you blame their supporters for getting all misty-eyed about their only European achievement?