McBeth Replaced Over Racism Row

Football Association chairman Geoff Thompson has been named as the next British Fifa vice-president after John McBeth had his nomination withdrawn.

McBeth, the outgoing Scottish FA president, caused a row when he implied African and Caribbean nations were tainted by corruption and greed.

Fifa chiefs were angered and McBeth has now been dumped by the home nations.

Thompson will be elected on Thursday at Fifa's congress in Zurich and will serve for four years.

Thompson said: "I am very honoured to be nominated for this position and would like to thank the national associations of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland for the trust they have placed in me.

"I have gained considerable experience of the world game over the years and look forward to making a real contribution to the Fifa executive committee's debate and decisions on behalf of British football."

After Thompson's tenure he will be succeeded by Irish FA president Jim Boyce.

Boyce said: "The most important thing was to ensure that the British vice-presidency of Fifa, which is in the gift of the four British associations, was not put at risk.

"I am delighted with this solution for the overall good of football in the four home countries."

An SFA spokesman said on Tuesday: "While we feel that his statements were ill-advised, it is clear to all who know him that he is not a racist."

McBeth will end his four-year spell as SFA president at the body's annual general meeting in Glasgow on Friday.

Jack Warner, the Fifa vice-president from Trinidad and Tobago who had sent an official letter of protest about McBeth's comments, expressed his delight at the news.

Warner said: "Geoff Thompson should have been in that position in the first place - the other guy was just an idiot."