Scotland-Nigeria

I tried setting the alarm, but after watching the first 5 mins I went back to sleep.

Checked the score after 70 mins and it was 1-0.

Checked again with 2 mins to go and it was 2-0.

I think I made a wise choice in sleeping.

yeah Considine played the full 90 mins and didnt look out of place at all.

It is time the BBC hired people who know about the players though.

Gary MacKay said that it was the 1st time ever that Considine and O'Leary had plauyed together.

I could of sworn that they played together for a couple of seasons in our youth team or was that a figment of my imagination??

watching the replay now.

Considine played. He's doing quite well at the mo. No f*ck ups, some strong tackles and headers.

The boy Cuthbert is pish.

McNeil got megged for the 1st after Cuthbert failed to clear. McNail parryed a shot into the middle of the goal where Cuthbert was having a snooze while a Nigerian nodded it in for the 2nd.

McNeil had a few decent saves but his kicking was woeful and he could've done better for the 1st goal and much better for the 2nd.

Scotland don't really look like a team, more a group of individuals. If this Scotland team is the 2nd best team in Europe then European football is in sh*t state.

yeah Considine played the full 90 mins and didnt look out of place at all.

It is time the BBC hired people who know about the players though.

Gary MacKay said that it was the 1st time ever that Considine and O'Leary had plauyed together.

I could of sworn that they played together for a couple of seasons in our youth team or was that a figment of my imagination??

Well even O'Leary's current manager doesn't seem to know that much about him, was he not saying how O'leary would be the next star to come through THEIR youth system.

watching the replay now.

Considine played. He's doing quite well at the mo. No f*ck ups, some strong tackles and headers.

The boy Cuthbert is pish.

McNeil got megged for the 1st after Cuthbert failed to clear. McNail parryed a shot into the middle of the goal where Cuthbert was having a snooze while a Nigerian nodded it in for the 2nd.

From what I've seen and heard of Cuthbert over the past week he is utter mince. Seems to be evidence that the O'Neill style of football still exists at Celtic. Think the only reason he gets selected is because he is captain of the Celtic youth teams.

McNeil is f*cking horse. I'm getting f*cking sick of these idiots on the telly praising the boys 'character'. f*ck that, he's just not learning from his mistakes. And f*ck me does he make a lot of mistakes.

Considine was solid, just proves how important getting a regular game for your club is. The lad Reynolds was a bit wasted in the middle of the park, he's a cracking defender. Him and Considine should be first choice centre-backs.

Why was Cuthbert pushed out to right-back? I know he's captain but I've seen nothing to suggest he deserves his place in the team. Cave-Brown has looked good whenever I've seen him and deserved to retain his place. Again you sense Old Firm bias is coming into play. Conroy for instance has never played a professional game at club level but he's first-choice for the U20s. There's an assumption that Old Firm players are automatically better than the Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, etc. boys. In the Japan game, that Rangers lad Lowing was playing at left-back and it was clear that he was out of place. And we put Lee Wallace, a perfectly good left-back with loads of potential, in centre-mid. Strange.

I'm pleased Conroy was dropped today but we still looked a wee bit flat. We looked a out of sorts up front - it was a strange formation. Don't really see the value in changing your system in the middle of a tournment. Fletcher was supposed to be a lone striker but he spent more time out on the flanks.

Guest glasgowdon

I was snoozing through it and I would like to say well done to our Andy as I thought he was one of the only players to come out of that with any sort of dignity.

It's IMPERATIVE that we drop Cuthbert and McNeil.

I laughed when they said it was the first time Considine and O'Leary played together.

I only saw the first match but though Dorrans and Cave-Brown both looked good. Cuthbert was mince and sets a bad example as captain. McNeil... do we have anyone better? Adam... sh*te. Elliot... disinterested. Fletcher... okay... just.

Guest glasgowdon

Who did he play for before going there?

Is he in FM?

I am curious as to how there's a Scot with a la Liga team.

Who did he play for before going there?

Is he in FM?

I am curious as to how there's a Scot with a la Liga team.

This article was in The Herald earlier this year. Should explain everything.

The Scottish goalkeeper who doesn’t speak English

He has the surname, he has the heritage and he has the credentials - although he doesn't quite have the lingo. Could Spaniard Ian Mackay, of Deportivo La Coruna, be capped for Scotland?

The Scottish Football Association are aware of Mackay's eligibility and new national coach Alex McLeish even brought up his name at a press conference on Monday.

The goalkeeper came to attention in August last year, when an injury to Depor's No.1 goalkeeper saw him summoned off the bench early on in a pre-season game against AC Milan. Only a penalty from Kaka beat him as Deportivo won 3-1, thanks in part to a string of good saves from Mackay.

advertisement

His handling abilities were called into question this week, however, when he almost dropped his phone in shock after The Herald told him what McLeish had said.

"I have not heard anything from Scotland about playing for them, but it would be my dream to play for them," said the 20-year-old who speaks hardly any English, having been born and raised in La Coruna, the Galician port city, by a Spanish mother and Scottish father.

Hence the name: dad John Cameron Mackay is from Inverness and works on an oil rig in the North Sea, spending one month offshore and one month in La Coruna with his Spanish family.

As well as a thirteen-year-old sister in Spain (also a goalkeeper), Mackay has four half-sisters in Aberdeen from his father's first marriage.

"My father would like me to play for Scotland, but I would love to as well. I don't know if there has been anyone from Scotland watching me, but it has been my dream since I was little.

"I remember watching the World Cup in '98, seeing players like Colin Hendry, John Collins and Gary McAllister," recalls Mackay, who is aware of the strength in depth that Scotland have in his position.

"I like the good young Scottish goalkeepers like Rangers' Allan McGregor and Craig Gordon, but my hero is Jamie Langfield.

"My father talks a lot about Scotland - I have four sisters there and lots of aunts and uncles and other family.

"I have been to Scotland a few times, visiting Aberdeen, Inverness and Edinburgh. I really enjoyed the experience."

Before there can be any talk of Scotland, however, Mackay will have to break into the Deportivo first team.

Having spent last season with their B team in the Tercera Division, or fourth tier, Mackay moved up a level in January, when he joined nearby Universidad de Oviedo in Segunda B on loan until the end of the season to gain experience. Standing at 5ft 10 in, he is on the small side for a goalkeeper, but remains highly-rated at the Spanish club, who are currently 13th in La Liga.

"I am on loan at Oviedo until June, but I still have three years left on my contract with Coruna. I also train with Depor's first team Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays."

To date, that victory over Milan in the Teresa Herrera Cup has been Mackay's biggest game and Deportivo still regard him as one for the future.

"I played against AC Milan but that wasn't my first game. I played before against Benfica and some other smaller teams.

"Facing Milan was an experience that many players might never have the luck to have in their careers, playing against players such as Kaka and Pirlo. But it was just one game and you have to do well in every match.

"I played well but that's in the past and now I'm concentrating on the present."

Mackay could be forgiven if his head was spinning having heard that McLeish was even aware of his existence. He wanted to know exactly what the coach had said about him ("We've not been over to have a look at him yet but we have to consider options") and the news has also caused a minor stir at Deportivo's club offices.

And a Scotland cap is not the only thing occupying Mackay's imagination: a move to his ancestral home, and one club in particular, would also greatly appeal.

"I have always liked Scottish football and my favourite team is Celtic," he said. "It would be a dream for me to play for them. I would love it.

"My father is a Celtic fan and my favourite player was Larsson. Since I was little I've loved them. The atmosphere in the stadium is amazing: all the fans singing You'll Never Walk Alone, I love it."

ian.jpg

Guest glasgowdon
This article was in The Herald earlier this year. Should explain everything.

ian.jpg

That's mental.

So he's really Spanish.

We should get him capped just so he's ours.

That's mental.

So he's really Spanish.

We should get him capped just so he's ours.

You think thats mental? Have you heard of the goalkeeper who was born in Venezuela playing in the Peruvian Premier League who may have been eligible for Scotland?

Damn Peru beat us to him though :laughing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Forsyth

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=....C3.B3n_Peruana