Football boots

Ruud Gullit and Jamie Redknapp had this discussion yesterday after the Rooney injury in what looked to be a nothing challenge, saying that these new poncy lightweight boots are to blame for many of the injuries players seem to get nowadays and i totally agree. You pick up some of the boots in the shops now and offer no protection whatsoever and no surprise first time you go in for a challenge players get broken bones and other injuries.

Guest LondonScottish
I'm thinking of getting the boots that Rooney has. Saw them in the shops and thought they were quite smart boots. I've had copa mundials for this year and last, and all the years before that i've had Preds. I've never ever broken anything in my foot, I've torn ligaments but that was due to me landing awkwardly and twisting my ankle. My boots wasn't on properly and laces weren't tied, so that was entirely my fault.

To blame the boots is an easy escape option for Rooney having such flimsy feet.

Has there not been a huge increase in the number of foot breaks in recent years? It can only be down to the softness of the football boots. Who'd even heard of a metatarsal until 5 years ago?

Who'd even heard of a metatarsal until 5 years ago?

Previously it was called a broken foot.

Nothing has changed, it's alot of crap. The game has got faster at the top level, the media spotlight has become more intense, end of story.

the only boot that could be called flimsy is the Mercurial Vapour since it weighs about the same as your sky remote (no jokes) but modern boots are better suited to the modern game.

older boots protected feet better because technology wasnt as advanced and the balls were weighed a tonne.

If you notice anyway, rooneys injury was from dubery standing on him foot as rooney extended. basic mechanics, when something is at its fullest reach, its at its weakest. Cant really blame the boots, its more about the advancement of the game

Ruud Gullit and Jamie Redknapp had this discussion yesterday after the Rooney injury in what looked to be a nothing challenge, saying that these new poncy lightweight boots are to blame for many of the injuries players seem to get nowadays and i totally agree. You pick up some of the boots in the shops now and offer no protection whatsoever and no surprise first time you go in for a challenge players get broken bones and other injuries.

he'd never have got injured if he'd had a pair of these boys on...

1830.jpg