Leicester player collapses

Nottm Forest A-A Leicester

Nottingham Forest's Carling Cup tie at home to Leicester was abandoned at half-time after defender Clive Clarke collapsed in the dressing room.

Paramedics rushed down the tunnel to attend to Clarke shortly after the half-time whistle.

A Leicester spokesman said the player was receiving medical attention in an ambulance and was conscious.

The restart was initially delayed before the referee called off the game, with Forest leading 1-0.

Forest boss Colin Calderwood and Leicester manager Martin Allen then emerged from the tunnel to make an announcement to the crowd.

Calderwood said: "We are afraid that due to the serious illness of a Leicester player both clubs have agreed to postpone the match."

The Reds held a 1-0 lead over their east midlands counterparts courtesy of Junior Agogo's 31st-minute strike.

Guest Stoney
Two heart attacks to professional footballers in the space of a week. Prior to this when was the last time you heard of it happening?

Any time langfield came for a cross last season :cheers:

What, that people sometimes get ill?

:cheers:

It might be like a totally new football virus. Only affecting defenders.

Two heart attacks to professional footballers in the space of a week. Prior to this when was the last time you heard of it happening?

Marc Vivien Foe?

Daniel Yorath, David Lonhurst....

Fowk die of heart attacks.

Marc Vivien Foe?
Daniel Yorath, David Lonhurst....

Fowk die of heart attacks.

Foe - 2003.

Yorath - 1992.

Longhurst - 1990.

That was exactly my point. That's three examples in 17 years. Foe was the only one that sprang to my mind prior to this week. Now we've had 2 in a week. Most likely just a coincidence, but as I say it could be the sign of an emerging trend - overworked players, strain on the heart etc.

Oh look, I seem to have edited my own responses without actually editing them. Do we have an official person who structures threads tnow?

:itch-chin:

To answer your question I picked 3 off the top of my head but you could also probably pick from the 8 young people a week who die from SDS (2002 statistics).

That 2 instances of heart attack happened in football in the space of a week is just coincidence.

http://www.c-r-y.org.uk/Too_Young_to_die_Times_Aug20.htm

Oh look, I seem to have edited my own responses without actually editing them. Do we have an official person who structures threads tnow?

It wasn't me. The software has a habit of merging two posts that by the same person made in quick succession. After all, there was no real need for your two posts to be seperate. What was odd though was that I quoted two seperate posts - I would have thought the merging would have been done automatically. It's a mystery :ph34r:

To answer your question I picked 3 off the top of my head but you could also probably pick from the 8 young people a week who die from SDS (2002 statistics).

That 2 instances of heart attack happened in football in the space of a week is just coincidence.

http://www.c-r-y.org.uk/Too_Young_to_die_Times_Aug20.htm

I was just idly speculating - it's not unreasonable to suspect that there might be an increased risk of heart attacks for someone who over-exerts themselves physically on a regular basis.