emile heskey

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breaking news on talksport at the moment, rather shocked at this as personally i don't rate him that much but is an "ok" player.

Smacks of desperation from England.

However, to be fair, he's been absolutely flying since the tail-end of last season. His performance in Wigans final match of last season was worthy of a call-up.

Yeah agree with you there, he is a decent player and i reckon he will bring the best out in Owen as Emile will be used as the target man and owen will love that as all he needs to do is score.

That said i actually can't believ he got called up and i also thought he was much older than 29, he has been around the block like, has he not?

I thought Heskey was excellent a couple of weeks ago against Sunderland. Obviously international level is a big step up.

These current injuries show that England don't have the strength and depth of talent the English media would have you believe.

The impact of the large number of non-English players in the so called "best league in the world" is coming home to roost.

I am slightly surprised that Ashley Young and David Bentley have also been called up. 2 big games coming up to throw uncapped youngsters into. It could be fun watch what happens to McClaren and England in the coming days.

Guest LondonScottish
i was doing some football stats for work and he england strikers have a shocking goals to game ratio domestically over the last 6 months

most are in the 2 goals in last 20 games bracket

Haven't we got someone in that bracket?

They were saying on 5Live that McLaren asked Owen who he wanted to start with on Saturday and he said Heskey, hence the call up, and presumably a start vs Israel

McLaren had definitely lost it if he is allowing players to pick who they play with.

Seems a pretty logical conclusion that England will have limited options when you consider the report by BBC;

- 76% of the starting XIs that played on the first weekend of the first Premier League season in 1992 were English, only 37% were English on the first weekend of this season

- Only 10% (23 players) of the starting XIs in 1992 were from outside the UK, this season that number had increased to 56% (123)

- Non-English players have scored 69% of Premier League goals so far this season - they have even scored two of the three own goals

Of the 118 goals scored so far, only nine have been scored by seven English strikers

- According to the latest Deloitte figures for disclosed transfer fees, spending by Premier League clubs rose from

oh how wonderful that would be.

imagine scotland still being in with a chance of gettin there and England bein ***ked

Especially sweeter when you consider Scotland are in a harder group.

I still don't think we'll qualify, but our performances bode well for the future and hopefully that'll make things easier when it comes to the drawing of groups for other major tournaments in the future - we'll be seeded higher and therefore avoid having three "big gun" teams like Italy, France and Ukraine in our group.

Bilbo,good post that by the way. :)

Especially sweeter when you consider Scotland are in a harder group.

I still don't think we'll qualify, but our performances bode well for the future and hopefully that'll make things easier when it comes to the drawing of groups for other major tournaments in the future - we'll be seeded higher and therefore avoid having three "big gun" teams like Italy, France and Ukraine in our group.

Bilbo,good post that by the way. :)

agreed.

i dont think we will do it but i think we will be alot closer than folk think.

the fact that the other 3 are playing eachother over the weekend and next week will give us a chance. (as long as we beat hearts on saturday).

i cant wait for saturday now.

agreed.

i dont think we will do it but i think we will be alot closer than folk think.

the fact that the other 3 are playing eachother over the weekend and next week will give us a chance. (as long as we beat hearts on saturday).

i cant wait for saturday now.

We've got a sniff. we need to win all our home games left. if we do that we WILL qualify. Still to play italy and ukraine at home so this is where it falls down. Oh and we still have to go to georgia and that wont be easy

are they playing Israel at home then Russia away?

if so they will beat Israel but it will be close and i think the Russians will beat them

Both games at the new wemberlee, still think they'll draw both down to the almost complete lack of strikers and midfielders.

They will miss Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, Rooney, etc.

For being one of the top 5 footballing nations on Earth, Englands strength in depth is shocking; Lescott,Ashley Young, Heskey,Bentley and Campbell all smack of desperation, none of them are good enough or are past their best. See McLaren said even if they lose both games he wont resign, no Steve you will be sacked and nae mistake.

Guest LondonScottish
McLaren is sh*tting it, he's going to play Gerrard in the team. He'll give him an injection then play him against Liverpools wishes.

c**k!!!

I think its scandalous that McClaren's going to play Gerrard who's obviously not 100%. That is desperation; Benitez must be doing his pieces at the moment worrying about his prize asset being sidelined for even longer.

Guest LondonScottish
Not scandalous at all.

Surely it's 100% up to Gerard if he fancies it and England are hardly going to force him to have an injection against his wishes.

Real fitba players will play with an wee injury.

He's Liverpool's