Good luck Culter!

I was wondering if anyone knows this, but how did girvan get into the scottish cup?

They arent even in the top division, i thought linlithgow won the cup and pollok won the west leage?

as well as being affiliated to the SJFA they are affiliated to the SFA and are thus also a "senior" side and have always competed in the South Qualifying Cup (similar in a way to Golspie Sutherland in the North)

EDIT: There would normally be 4 junior sides in the cup (East, West and North Superleague winners and the Junior Cup winners but Linlithgow Rose did the East League and Cup double, hence only 3 this year)

It is a farcical situation though that Girvan, Golspie, Hawick and the Unis are let in while not being in the top league in their area while far better sides are not allowed in because they are not "seniors"

Obviously it is just a start in opening up the competition and I'm sure these anomalies will be ironed out over time.

Well done to the junior sides who all won through and the shock of the day must be Golspie beating Preston.

Must be a good chance some of the winners from today will get through to the 4th round, lets hope we draw one of them.....Pollock away would be nice

excellent report/article in the Scotsman, also kinda highlights the farce that having Hawick in the tournament is:

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sport.cfm?id=1561662007

Cup debutants' seventh heaven

Culter: 7 Campbell og 8; Mountford 26, 32, 77; Stewart 28; Shand 85, 89

Hawick RA: O

CULTER blootered seven goals past a harassed Hawick Royal Albert and booked their place in the second round of the Scottish Cup. It may have been their first ever Scottish Cup tie, but Culter were definitely not overwhelmed.

Advert for Birmingham Midshire Savings Account

Instead, they swamped their Borders opponents with an early barrage and buried them with a late avalanche. The sun shone on Royal Deeside as the victorious junior footballers celebrated raucously in the home dressing-room. A momentous day for Culter blossomed into a marvellous one.

"We've done better than I expected," said winning manager Bobby Gray. "I am delighted for the boys and for everyone at the club for whom this means everything. It could have been double figures. We'll take what we get in the next round, but hopefully stay away from the bigger teams. As for now, we'll have a couple of beers."

Not for hat-trick hero Chris Mountford, though. The 22-year-old university student is due to take part in the Great North Run in Newcastle today. He was travelling down last night after his match heroics. But here was a contented young man. "It was brilliant. It has been a big week with the build-up and we were fired up from the start. I am happy with the goals and we look forward to seeing who we get next. We'll have a chance against a lot of teams, especially if we get them here."

The road to Hampden began on the No 19 bus (Turquoise Line) from Aberdeen's Union Street. A 20-minute journey through the leafy western suburbs of the city, passing Cults and Milltimber, lastly arriving in Peterculter, home of Culter FC. Crombie Park was a new one for me. I packed in games at all 42 Scottish League grounds - from Celtic Park to Gayfield - last season for my (shameless plug alert!) best-selling and your life-enhancing book Hunting Grounds: A Scottish Football Safari, (available in all good book shops... hurry now while stocks last!) but Crombie Park?

It's like a cross between Glebe Park and Forthbank. And that's a compliment, not an insult. Bucolic, pastoral, green, lovely stuff. The pitch immaculate and everything tidy. A dug-out which seems to double as the main stand, the Sky camera and its cameraman perched on top. Bales of hay in the distance. A steady queue for pies served up by former Aberdeen goalie John Ogston who "hung up his gloves in favour of a pair of oven gloves" according to the souvenir match programme. Somebody from Buckie has asked for 20 copies and an order has been placed from Prague. Culter are of international repute and, after this result, their name might not be on the cup, but their name is better known outwith the north-east.

Before the game, before the seven goals, Albert Moir is busy behind the scenes and welcoming everyone to Crombie Park. Albert has been club secretary since 1961. He looks the part in his blazer, and the team looked the part on the pitch. I chat with coaches Bobby Hunter and Andy Gibson, both of whom are in high spirits. The general atmosphere is relaxed. Nobody is anxious. Just pleased to be in the cup. The Hawick bus draws up as the game draws near. Most expect a comfortable home win for Culter, the SuperLeague champions (four years running). Hawick shipped 11 goals last week, someone points out. They will leak some more to the men from Royal Deeside. Culter are the juniors, but Royal Albert are the underdogs and Culter start by sticking to that script.

The teams jog out to polite applause. No roars yet. In the red corner, resembling Arsenal, Culter. In the blue corner, impersonating the French national team kit-wise, Hawick Royal Albert. A bumper-ish crowd. More than the couple of hundred Culter are accustomed to. It's three o'clock now. Let the cup tie begin.

Culter pin the visitors back, attacking the Hawick rearguard in waves and trying to crash the ball into the net for a reassuring breakthrough. Home striker Mountford uses his height, flashing one header wide and another over the crossbar. He then turns supplier for the early goal. Twisting and turning his marker, Mountford centres for a team-mate, but Hawick's Alan Campbell intervenes, though not in the manner he means to. The ball clips off his boot and spins past the helpless keeper Scott Dowie and over the goal-line. Culter's first ever Scottish Cup goal is an own goal, but the players and supporters are absolutely chuffed to bits.

In their eagerness to add quickly to their tally, a couple of rushed Culter efforts are spooned off target. But then, midway through the first half, a triple dose of bad news for the struggling Hawick defence, and, with that, the hosts are home and dry and in that next round draw. First, John Brown, with ample time, squares to Mountford for the easy tap-in. Then, Peter Stewart bursts clear from the centre circle and judges his best option which is craftily lobbing the Hawick goalie. Next, from 15 yards, Mountford marks his brace, drilling sweetly into the far corner. It's 4-0 after barely half an hour. How many can Culter wrack up?

Minutes before the break, Hawick forward Barry Shiel forces Culter keeper Martin Pirie to make his first save. Then Pirie's keeping counterpart prevents further breaches, denying the ravenous Mountford his treble and pulling off a tremendous save to stop Brown's net-bound pile-driver.

Hawick are able to plug the gaps until Mountford, deservedly, inevitably, registers his hat-trick.

But Culter are not finished yet. Substitute Martin Shand mucks in on the goal act with two rapid strikes and even manages to miss a penalty. "Never mind, Shandy," cries a Culter supporter in support. Never mind shandy. Beer. To toast the triumph.

Hunting Grounds: A Scottish Football Safari, published by Birlinn, is out now, priced

I knew there were random teams like golspie, edinburgh and glasgow uni, and i think burntisland shipyard are also in the same situation, whereas they had played in the cup before and are allowed to keep playing.

I didnt realise girvin were also in this situation.

Have they always played in the qualifying cup, even though they are a junior side?