Sammy Lee

Guest LondonScottish
nae surprise here

poor manager with a decent team

can the English not produce any decent managers ? why are none dong well in the EPL ? Says it all when Sam Allardyce is the top English manager

He's only been there two minutes? Are Redknapp, Curbishley, Jewell and Allardyce no good then?

Paul Jewell is already favourite to take over at Bolton.

He's only been there two minutes? Are Redknapp, Curbishley, Jewell and Allardyce no good then?

Paul Jewell is already favourite to take over at Bolton.

Curbs is ok, Jewell is alright, Redknapp is well dodgy and Big Sam is a rich mans Calderwood

There's a big diff between taking over at Bolton and taking over at one of the top 4

can you imagine one of the top 4 English sides employing a English manager

2 English managers in the top 10 of the EPL

only 8 of the 20 EPL clubs employ English managers

seems to be a dearth of good young English coaches coming through

look at the national team McLeish v McLaren ??? there's no contest, McLeish in terms of personality, tactics and motivation is light years ahead of McLaren

Guest LondonScottish
Redknapp, Curbishley, Jewell and Allardyce?

The cream of English management :laughmad:

Have any of them actually won anything with the trillion pounds they have spent?

Is it all about winning things to make someone a good manager?? Look at the youngsters Redknapp produced at West Ham. If he'd been able to stay, and keep that crop together they'd probably have been in the top six minimum. what a superb selection of players who have all gone on to bigger and better things. He also constructed one of the greatest "houdini's" in football, pulling Portsmouth out of certain relegation, and this season has them challenging the big boys.

Didn't Paul Jewell take over a struggling Wigan Athletic in Division 2 around 2001 or 02?? He put together a team, that is still holding its own in the Premier League. How many managers could do that? Fair enough he had a rich chairman, but he didn't spend wildly, and had a team playing as a unit very quickly. Division 2 to Premier ain't easy, and they spent nothing like Blackburn or Fulham on that journey.

Curbishley took a team of mainly youngsters up to the Premier League where they remained a mid table side, despite spending little or no money, until relegation last season. Charlton had previously almost folded, let alone have money for players.

Allardyce has had no time yet at Newcastle, but was highly successfull getting Bolton pronoted and keeping them up there on an absolute shoe-string, mainly bringing in "has-beens" on loan deals. He was ultimately extremely close to the England job, if it wasn't for his "shady" dealings.

What does make the best managers in the EPL?? I'm no way saying these lot are as good as Fergie/ Wenger etc, but giving them a chance at a "big" club would be interesting.

who was the last english manager to win a trophy down there?

McLaren with Middlesbrough won league cup in 2004

Joe Royle won FA Cup in 1995 with Eveton

Howard Wilkinson last to win the league with Leeds in 1992.

in the history of the prem

no English man has manged a league wining side

2 men have won the league cup - McLaren & Brian Little ( twice)

and only 1 English man has won th FA cup - Joe Royale

Guest redbrigade
Curbishley took a team of mainly youngsters up to the Premier League where they remained a mid table side, despite spending little or no money, until relegation last season. Charlton had previously almost folded, let alone have money for players.

I agree. He's a good manager and hopefully he'll prove it now that he has some money to spend.

I was pleased he didn't get the England job as I felt he is a better coach and tactician than McLaren.

Is it all about winning things to make someone a good manager?? Look at the youngsters Redknapp produced at West Ham. If he'd been able to stay, and keep that crop together they'd probably have been in the top six minimum. what a superb selection of players who have all gone on to bigger and better things. He also constructed one of the greatest "houdini's" in football, pulling Portsmouth out of certain relegation, and this season has them challenging the big boys.

Didn't Paul Jewell take over a struggling Wigan Athletic in Division 2 around 2001 or 02?? He put together a team, that is still holding its own in the Premier League. How many managers could do that? Fair enough he had a rich chairman, but he didn't spend wildly, and had a team playing as a unit very quickly. Division 2 to Premier ain't easy, and they spent nothing like Blackburn or Fulham on that journey.

Allardyce has had no time yet at Newcastle, but was highly successfull getting Bolton pronoted and keeping them up there on an absolute shoe-string, mainly bringing in "has-beens" on loan deals. He was ultimately extremely close to the England job, if it wasn't for his "shady" dealings.

What does make the best managers in the EPL?? I'm no way saying these lot are as good as Fergie/ Wenger etc, but give them a chance at a "big" club would be interesting.

All very good, I'm sure Redknapp is very happy to take the credit for West Ham's youngsters when in reality the Academy was in place a long time before Redknapp got these young stars relegated.

Jewell plays the worst kind of football and at the time it wasn't too difficult to get a club through the English league system. The JJB cash didn't hurt.

Curbishly did ok but always seemed to run out of ideas. His teams seemed to stop playing at Christmas and he won nothing and was relegated. I doubt his capacity to handle pressure.

Allardyce's record, has-beens on a shoe string? Yeah, I'm sure Speed, Anelka et al played for nothing. He made the most of the Bosman situation, fair play, it will be interesting to see how he does at Newcastle but I suspect he'll win SFA with his new found wealth.

I'll remind you how much you think of qualities such as brining stability to a club and wheeling and dealing the next time you rip into Calderwood.

Guest LondonScottish
All very good, I'm sure Redknapp is very happy to take the credit for West Ham's youngsters when in reality the Academy was in place a long time before Redknapp got these young stars relegated.

Jewell plays the worst kind of football and at the time it wasn't too difficult to get a club through the English league system. The JJB cash didn't hurt.

Curbishly did ok but always seemed to run out of ideas. His teams seemed to stop playing at Christmas and he won nothing and was relegated. I doubt his capacity to handle pressure.

Allardyce's record, has-beens on a shoe string? Yeah, I'm sure Speed, Anelka et al played for nothing. He made the most of the Bosman situation, fair play, it will be interesting to see how he does at Newcastle but I suspect he'll win SFA with his new found wealth.

I'll remind you how much you think of qualities such as brining stability to a club and wheeling and dealing the next time you rip into Calderwood.

When did Redknapp get these young stars relegated?? :dontknow:

When did Curbishley take Charlton down??? :dontknow:

The English "Championship" is hardly easy to get out of. There's always about 12 teams vying for promotion and competition is tight.

I might have to suggest you haven't got a clue what you're talking about. :drink:

West Ham struggled under Redknapp towards the end of his career, he sold off the family silver and the club were relegated within 18months. No doubt taking a large slice himself. He's a poor mans Terry Venebals.

Curbishly's departure was the number 1 reason Charlton went down. Had he stayed, they'd remain a mid table side - no better, no worse. But he was on the market and only West Ham came in for him- didn't see Newcastle Everton Spurs baging at his door , perhaps they new the already had better men in place ?

No one is saying the Championship is easy, however the more money you have the easier you find it - Wigan had A LOT OF MONEY for those divisions, They are the English Gretna.

Note no one's disagreeing with the view of "Big Sam" though.

While that may be true in terms of the Prem as he was progressing throughout the leagues he was spending significant amounts on players. Amounts that would have been other teams, in those divisions, entire budget for ten years. Off the top of my head while in the Second Division (Division 3 in old money)

Guest LondonScottish
West Ham struggled under Redknapp towards the end of his career, he sold off the family silver and the club were relegated within 18months. No doubt taking a large slice himself. He's a poor mans Terry Venebals.

Redknapp left because he was forced to some on the "family silver"; the rest left not too long after. If he was taking bungs, it was for getting players in, not selling. He had huge disagreements with the board, in particular Terence Brown the chairman, who were trying to get every last penny they could from player sales to line their own pockets, and had little care for how well the team was doing. I'd like to have seen what the likes of Joe Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Frank Lampard, Jermaine Defoe, Michael Carrick, Freddie Kanoute, Eyal Berkavic and Paul Kitson amongst others could have done together once they had matured both physically and as a team under Harry Redknapp.

Guest LondonScottish
Not saying that its not an acheivement doing what Jewell did just putting a bit of perspective on things and maybe adding another manager manager into this discusion, Dario Gradi?

Fantastic manager, won nothing, but who cares. Absolute quality. (Was he English though, think he liked to class himself as Italian?? :drink: )

When did Redknapp get these young stars relegated?? :dontknow:

When did Curbishley take Charlton down??? :dontknow:

The English "Championship" is hardly easy to get out of. There's always about 12 teams vying for promotion and competition is tight.

I might have to suggest you haven't got a clue what you're talking about. :)

Redknapp survived on the last day with all the talent at his disposal and Curbishly was relegated in 1999-2000.

The Englsh Championship was easy to get out of with the right funding. Fulham, as an example spent the cash and got out no bother. it might be more difficult to get out of now but I'm not so sure.

I certainly don't listen to the hype of Sky TV who will tell you Wolves v Southhampton is the best thing since sliced bread when it's clearly not.

I might have to suggest you have lived in England too long and as a result you can't see past your own nose.

Guest LondonScottish
Redknapp survived on the last day with all the talent at his disposal and Curbishly was relegated in 1999-2000.

The Englsh Championship was easy to get out of with the right funding. Fulham, as an example spent the cash and got out no bother. it might be more difficult to get out of now but I'm not so sure.

I certainly don't listen to the hype of Sky TV who will tell you Wolves v Southhampton is the best thing since sliced bread when it's clearly not.

I might have to suggest you have lived in England too long and as a result you can't see past your own nose.

When Redknapp had that talent, they were kids, not the finished article.

I couldn't remember what year Curbishley had been relegated, but knew it must have been some time ago. Thanks for putting that right, and they bounced back straight away. He kept his young team together and had a successful return.

Who mentioned the hype on Sky?? Whats that got to do with anything?

Yes he has done a great job at Portsmouth but recently he has had loads of cash to spend. With the millions he's spent on transfer fees and wages to the likes of James, Campbell and Lauren, surely Pompey should be higher up the league and doing better in the cups? :thumbup1: