Boyd Quits Scotland

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Water under the bridge as far as im concerned , Burley has made it clear he is going to pick players on current form , Boyd at club level is hardly getting a game and even less scoring.

Boyd has played more games than McFadden and scored more goals than him. Played more than Iwulemo has this season and has scored more than Fletcher this season.

On one hand, turning your back on your country is unforgivable and Boyd isn't exactly Dennis Law or Kenny Dalglish, however Saturday ws screaming out for Boyd, sand the decision to play both Fletcher & Iwmelou ahead of Boyd, was more a slap in the face for Boyd than anything else. I don't blame Boyd for being very pissed off with Burley.

However, this whole episode only goes to underline how out of his depth he is at International level, he doesn't command the respect of the players like Eck or Watty did. At times the phrase " You don't know what you're doing" seemed very apt to describe Burley as Scotland manager.

Time to go George.

That unscheduled news conference was a farce, Why they felt they needed one just for Burley to justify he felt Boyd was his 5th choice striker is embarasing.

He is the manager and can pick who he feels will do the best job.

End of.

He can but the fans wanted to know why so why not ask him sepcifically.

And where is the unplanned news conference just to justify Boyd being 5th choice striker come from? First i have heard of that.

That unscheduled news conference was a farce, Why they felt they needed one just for Burley to justify he felt Boyd was his 5th choice striker is embarasing.

He is the manager and can pick who he feels will do the best job.

End of.

Yes, but his decision not to field Boyd may or may not ultimately cost the nation a place at the World Cup, damn right he should explain himself.

TBH he should not have been appointed i the first place, and certainly now should not be in charge of the national team.

like him or not, had we appointed Souness we would not be on 4 points and would not only have 1 win in 6 games. We'd be on 9 points right now had Souness been appointed. Why Cause souness commands respect of these players and is a born winner, rightly or wrongly, he's a winner. A total nut but a winner none the less.

Guest the shepherd
Presumably he'll also quit Rangers too since Wattie doesn't pick him either?

Oh wait, no, he didn't. What a surprise.

Funny the number of people who no doubt slagged off previous managers for picking OF reserves willing to jump on this bandwagon.

:thumbs: Very good points made in your summary. Will he quit rangers also due to being overlooked, will he ***k?

:thumbs: Very good points made in your summary. Will he quit rangers also due to being overlooked, will he ***k?

lets not make this an anti rangers issue. If Boyd played for Aberdeen, and Tangoman didn't play him, wouldthere be this much condemnation of Boyds actions ?

and trust me, Boyd want's out of Ibrox more than anyother player ... he hates the place right now.

And where is the unplanned news conference just to justify Boyd being 5th choice striker come from? First i have heard of that.

From the BBC

Scotland manager George Burley will explain his decision not to play Kris Boyd in Saturday's match against Norway at a Hampden news conference at midday.
From the BBC

Scotland manager George Burley will explain his decision not to play Kris Boyd in Saturday's match against Norway at a Hampden news conference at midday.

Only after Boyd had quit. Of course there would be a press conference on the subject.

Only after Boyd had quit. Of course there would be a press conference on the subject.

You are contradicting your comments , You say its the first you have heard of a news conference regarding Boyd quiting then say "Of course there would be a press conference on the subject"

Guest the shepherd

I doubt there would be much press attention if this was a player playing for the likes of Falkirk, Kilmarnock or even Aberdeen but because he plays for one of the gruesome twosome the media circus has went into overdrive. I am bored of it already :thumbs: . I could not care less if Boyd represents our country as there as plenty of other capable strikers who would be absolutely delighted to represent Scotland but due to the usual and loyal selection process they know their amount of caps are very limited indeed. Darren Mackie for Scotland. :thumbs:

I doubt there would be much press attention if this was a player playing for the likes of Falkirk, Kilmarnock or even Aberdeen but because he plays for one of the gruesome twosome the media circus has went into overdrive. I am bored of it already :thumbs: . I could not care less if Boyd represents our country as there as plenty of other capable strikers who would be absolutely delighted to represent Scotland but due to the usual and loyal selection process they know their amount of caps are very limited indeed. Darren Mackie for Scotland. :thumbs:

could be wrong but dont remember a press conference when lee mcculloch said he wouldnt play again? nobody likes the huns but come on.

You are contradicting your comments , You say its the first you have heard of a news conference regarding Boyd quiting then say "Of course there would be a press conference on the subject"

Not at all. Burley already explained why he never put Boyd on at press conference after the game and my point was that it wasn't press conference after game for this subject alone but general match press conference. But after yesterday's happenings of course there is going to be press conference or an official statement on it as both the press and of course the fans will demand it.

Have to totally disagree with you TBR, Boyd has done the wright thing all he has said is he won't play for Burley again not Scotland.

The game on sat was screamimg out for a player like Boyd and he could have come on as 3rd sub. Burley would rather use no one than throw him on. :thumbs:

I've seen this said by a lot of people, but in my opinion the game was screaming out for a player like Iwelumo as much as it was for a player like Boyd. Boyd can't win anything in the air and the ball doesn't stick to him when you punt it at him - which is exactly what was happening with McFadden. Iwelumo came on, won most of the aerial battles and held the ball up.

Boyd has played more games than McFadden and scored more goals than him. Played more than Iwulemo has this season and has scored more than Fletcher this season.

The way he's playing is just as important as the amount of goals he's scored, particularly when we're talking about 4 goals including a penalty. Boyd has had a couple of decent performances (against Killie) and the rest of the time he's been abysmal (against us at Pittodrie, Hearts at Ibrox, etc). If football management was just about looking at a computer screen and seeing who's scored the most goals then we'd be as well getting in a trained monkey as Burley's replacement.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/7666954.stm

Scotland manager George Burley is standing by his decision not to play Kris Boyd against Norway.

The Rangers striker has since said that he would not play for Burley again after he was kept on the bench during the 0-0 draw at Hampden.

"I only want people who are totally committed," said Burley at a brusque media conference.

"You have got to show that passion and if you don't want to show it and you want to step out, fine."

A prolific goalscorer with Kilmarnock and Rangers, Boyd has played just 28 minutes in Burley's six matches.

With a record of seven goals from 15 internationals, Boyd was overlooked as a second half substitute in favour of Chris Iwelumo and Steven Fletcher, who, prior to kick-off, had one cap between them.

Wolves forward Iwelumo was then guilty of an astonishing miss from close range.

The only way Kris Boyd is going to get in the team is by playing regularly, showing what he can do, coming to the squad and looking lively and bright

"Reputations are in the past," added Burley. "I choose a squad, I look at them play, I look at their attributes, I look at how they show up in training, which is very important, and I look at combinations.

"It worked very well (the introduction of Iwelumo and Fletcher). I'm not going to please everybody but the tactics worked.

"On another day, Chris scores and he's the best thing since sliced bread.

"Kris is disappointed not to play but this is your country you're talking about.

"I've never had a cross word with Kris. They come in, stay at five-star hotels, in this day and age they have massive wages.

"How much do you care? You don't need to like everybody. This is your country.

"Okay, he didn't get on but the only way Kris Boyd is going to get in the team is by playing regularly, showing what he can do, coming to the squad and looking lively and bright and look better than the other strikers. That's how you get in the team."

Boyd has been in and out of the Rangers team this season as his club manager Walter Smith has changed his striking formations.

When Boyd last started a match, against Partick Thistle in the Co-op Insurance Cup on 24 September, he scored a stunning volley, but found himself relegated to the bench in the following game away to Hibernian.

"Walter Smith is one of the best managers in Britain," said Burley. "Kris has not been a regular for the past year and, if people aren't playing in big games, I've got to think 'something's not quite right'.

"Every player has strengths and weaknesses; elements of the game he needs to improve - Kris knows that.

"But the decision has been made and now it is time to move on."

Earlier, the chief executive of the Scottish Football Association, Gordon Smith, expressed his sense of regret about Boyd's decision.

"I think it is disappointing - you want your players available," Smith told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"It is a bad reaction, but you have to respect the player. If he decides he is not playing again you have to go with it.

"I would prefer a player to stay on, because you never know what can happen."

Smith, who told the BBC that Burley's job is safe despite Scotland's failure to beat Norway, was also unhappy with the timing of Boyd's announcement.

"It was so soon after the game so there is a big reaction.

"Maybe he just felt he was not getting the opportunity. At international level, you have the option of saying 'I don't want to be considered again'.

"But he is a player who could add value to the squad, and you don't like to see people giving up."

I could not care less if Boyd represents our country as there as plenty of other capable strikers who would be absolutely delighted to represent Scotland

oh aye, and who are these players ?

Clarkson ? Miller ? Mackie ? Riordan ?

Both Burley & Boyd have cut off thier noses here.

Both have made a mistake, but in the long run Burley's mistake will cost the nation the world Cup and him a job.

oh aye, and who are these players ?

Clarkson ? Miller ? Mackie ? Riordan ?

Both Burley & Boyd have cut off thier noses here.

Both have made a mistake, but in the long run Burley's mistake will cost the nation the world Cup and him a job.

come on now, we wouldnt have won the world cup. :thumbs:

Lets look at the past - Walter Smith didn't start with Boyd that much for Scotland, McLeish didn't start with Boyd that much. Burley didn't start with boyd that much yet is destroyed by the media for not doing so. I'm not saying Burley is the right man for the job but i do think the media have their own agenda with him as after one competitive game they wanted him out. If the players are not happy with Burley then its time to contact the SFA and say their throughts rather than turn their backs on Scotland.

I don't think Burley is the man for the job but we are only 3 games in and he at least deserves a chance to see if he can get scotland to the world cup until he fails imho - unless the players are really unhappy with training and tactics and demand a change.

just seen on SSN that barry ferguson has of course come out in support of boyds decision and he himself will consider his international status at the end of the qualifiers.

Reading between the lines, Ferguson reckons he is safe to back up his hun mate as Scotland won't qualify and Burley will be sacked.

Burley should f*ck the Hun off right now if he's come out and said that. Yet again Ferguson undermining a manager and thinking he's bigger than the team.

What A Total Prick.

McCulloch went public on the day we played on saturday (or maybe friday) as it was all over the daily record about him quitting the international scene - before Burnley knew. Then by tuesday or something an apology that it got out and then said he contacted the sfa about it but they didn't contact Burnley about it.

No the Daily Record went public the day before Scotland played. McCulloch was then asked and he said he told SFA weeks before but none of them had told Burley.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/scot...86908-20730033/

Sorry edited it was monday - still pretty sh*te that it come out before Burnley knew about it. He never been in a burnley squad before i think

Don't think McCulloch said anything about it at all to be fair but the Daily Record went ahead with the story with all kinds of accusations anyway.