Boxing Fans

Guest SS RED

• 3 weeks later...

Fair play to Campbell tonight managing to survive and go the distance there but Loma is just a different animal.

Loma is a superb fighter no doubt but he hasn't truly faced a great fighter yet despite having some really good wins. The greats of previous eras are not there which to be fair is not his fault. For instance he won the world super feather title against the same guy Ricky Burns beat many years ago to win his first world title.

Loma is clearly a class act but I do wonder if he would be lauded as much had he fought in the era of Pacquiao, Morales, Barrera and Marquez at feather / super feather. Would have been interesting to see how he fared against that level of opposition. At lightweight the likes of Floyd Mayweather, Pernell Whitaker or Julio Cesar Chavez would have been too strong for Loma.

Loma is clearly a class act but I do wonder if he would be lauded as much had he fought in the era of Pacquiao, Morales, Barrera and Marquez at feather / super feather. Would have been interesting to see how he fared against that level of opposition. At lightweight the likes of Floyd Mayweather, Pernell Whitaker or Julio Cesar Chavez would have been too strong for Loma.

Hmmm not so sure about that.

How many world titles did that lot win in their first 15 fights?

Hmmm not so sure about that.

How many world titles did that lot win in their first 15 fights?

That lot didn't have 397 amateur fights before they turned pro though so not a great comparison. And in my opinion they fought in a far tougher era. Chavez went unbeaten in his first 90 pro fights. Mayweather never lost and won world titles at 5 weights.

You think Loma would have beaten those guys? Truth be told he hasn't fought anyone even remotely close to their standard. Again not his fault but he needs a proper big fight to define him against someone like a Mikey Garcia. Guys like Crolla, Linares and Campbell are decent fighters but would have been chewed up and spat out by the fighters I mentioned.

That lot didn't have 397 amateur fights before they turned pro though so not a great comparison. And in my opinion they fought in a far tougher era. Chavez went unbeaten in his first 90 pro fights. Mayweather never lost and won world titles at 5 weights.

You think Loma would have beaten those guys? Truth be told he hasn't fought anyone even remotely close to their standard. Again not his fault but he needs a proper big fight to define him against someone like a Mikey Garcia. Guys like Crolla, Linares and Campbell are decent fighters but would have been chewed up and spat out by the fighters I mentioned.

They also had amateur records nowhere near Lomachenkos.

He absolutely smoked Rigondeaux (two time Olympic gold medalist and ranked Lb for lb top ten).  Linares another great fighter, Gary Russell Jnr was unbeaten, Campbell an Olympic gold medalist.

Garcia he beats wide points imo despite the size difference.

I think he would have yeah depending on weight.

They also had amateur records nowhere near Lomachenkos.

He absolutely smoked Rigondeaux (two time Olympic gold medalist and ranked Lb for lb top ten). Linares another great fighter, Gary Russell Jnr was unbeaten, Campbell an Olympic gold medalist.

Garcia he beats wide points imo despite the size difference.

I think he would have yeah depending on weight.

Rigondeaux was only a bantamweight Loma was two divisions bigger. I think it's a stretch to call Linares a great fighter I can name shit loads of lightweights over the last 20 to 30 years that would have smoked him. Like I said Loma has beaten some good fighters but no-one who is Morales / Pacquiao / Chavez / Whitaker / FMJ etc level nowhere near.

Loma is obviously a great fighter and special talent but he needs a couple of career defining fights. Garcia for the undisputed lightweight title would definitely be one of them.

Fighters like loma need a rival. Morales, barrera and marquez, but who is there. Making 2 or 3 world class boxers quit halfway says he's on another level. There are some shite champions at heavier weights so he could go up to maybe super welter, middleweight might be too much. Josh Taylor will beat him anyway!!

Fighters like loma need a rival. Morales, barrera and marquez, but who is there. Making 2 or 3 world class boxers quit halfway says he's on another level. There are some shite champions at heavier weights so he could go up to maybe super welter, middleweight might be too much. Josh Taylor will beat him anyway!!

Mikey Garcia is the obvious fight for Loma he's a 4 weight world champion whose only loss was in his last fight when attempting to win a world title in a 5th division at welter. He took on one of the best fighters at welter and p4p in the unbeaten Errol Spence but he was just too small. Garcia also easily beat Orlando Salido who is the only fighter to beat Loma in the pro ranks. He beat Salido the year before he upset Loma. It shows how good Loma is that he took on someone as seasoned as Salido in only his second pro fight.

Loma vs Garcia has to happen. It's a proper super fight.

• 4 weeks later...

Thats the problem with all these rival boards of authority, it ultimately means there is no authority.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/49810169

Sounds similar to religion like.

Also, is Nigel Benn @@BrianFaePerth

"I wouldn't support Nigel if I didn't believe he was fit to box. Nor is he doing this for financial reasons. He is far from skint - in fact, he has just built a massive 10-bedroom property for himself in Australia, where he lives.

I went to quite a few of Benn's fights back in the day. Would loved to have seen him square off against my all time favourite boxer Thomas Hearns at middleweight that would have been a bombs away war.

Fighting at age 55 after 23 years out the ring against a renowned tough guy like Sakio Bika is tantamount to suicide. I just hope he doesn't get badly hurt in what is a completely pointless and downright farcical exercise.

• Upvote 1

I went to quite a few of Benn's fights back in the day. Would loved to have seen him square off against my all time favourite boxer Thomas Hearns at middleweight that would have been a bombs away war.

Fighting at age 55 after 23 years out the ring against a renowned tough guy like Sakio Bika is tantamount to suicide. I just hope he doesn't get badly hurt in what is a completely pointless and downright farcical exercise.

My three favourite boxers of all-time.

3. George Foreman

2. Thomas Hearns

1. Nigel Benn