First Drivers' Strike Goes Ahead Saturday

K-9

Any drivers on here that can tell us what has been offered and what exactly they are after.

Im all for Unions taking action but a large number of companies are facing troubled times and employees are seeing wages frozen and in some cases reduced, for those reasons I think the union/drivers are taking the piss.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tell you there's something odd about this whole thing. Usually when a company makes a claim as to how much a Union expects to receive in salary increases, the Union in question is off like a rocket to rubbish the number and supply their own. Well Unite is being awfully quiet about just how much they're asking for.

Enough is enough. Stop trying to win the public over to your side without some good, solid facts. How much are you asking for? What is the figure the Union is proposing? If it's anything like 40%, then you should all be sent packing because in a national recession to be asking for anything beyond inflation is total nonsense, frankly.

I tell you there's something odd about this whole thing. Usually when a company makes a claim as to how much a Union expects to receive in salary increases, the Union in question is off like a rocket to rubbish the number and supply their own. Well Unite is being awfully quiet about just how much they're asking for.

Enough is enough. Stop trying to win the public over to your side without some good, solid facts. How much are you asking for? What is the figure the Union is proposing? If it's anything like 40%, then you should all be sent packing because in a national recession to be asking for anything beyond inflation is total nonsense, frankly.

Think first has already won the public over, according to the majority of threads on here anyway - thought it was poor to see the MD courting the EE and placing a full page advert to get the company stance across to the public last wik

Personally speaking unless you're a bus driver working for First then its hard to mak a judgement, and I'd personally stand up for the worker earning a pittance than a huge corporation ony day of the wik (First are hardly short of a bob or 2 after their attempted buy-out of National Express last wik)

Good point.

It is but what can the drivers do about it?, I'm pretty sure the union arenae taking the drivers out on strike for a bit o' fun - if there's a general grievance amongst the workforce and if negotiations arnae working what else can they do but withdraw their labour? - as I say I dinnae ken the ins and outs of the proceedings but I'm sure it isnae as black and white as the EE and Bob Dorr are making out.

Union announces bus strike date

Staff at First Bus in Aberdeen will hold a one-day strike over pay on 16 July, it has been announced.

The planned strike will be followed by a permanent overtime ban and work to rule from 17 July.

First Bus management called on the union to "sit down with us to agree a way forward" after the outcome of the ballot, which was announced on Tuesday.

The T&G Unite union's regional organiser, Tommy Campbell, said it was "more than willing" to negotiate.

Mr Campbell added: "There are no highly paid bus drivers, cleaners or garage maintenance staff."

However, operations director at First in Aberdeen, Duncan Cameron, said: "The union needs to recognise the economic realities facing First in Aberdeen and many other businesses such as negative inflation, rising unemployment and job losses."

About 70% of those who voted backed the strike move.

Similar strike action last year brought buses to a standstill before a deal was agreed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8139854.stm

Already booked next Thursday and Friday off work as I can't be arsed dealing with the hassle of getting to and from work.

I'm sorry but they are f**king bus drivers nae nurses. Of course there is not going to be well paid bus drivers. If you want to get money by sitting on your hoop all day then become a taxi driver.

This strike is not going to win them any fans as the economic situation is pretty dire at the moment.

So does this mean they might actually be on time now then? :laughing:

Just means less buses on the road if staff call in sick and drivers just parking up buses and refusing to drive on no matter where they are like last time. Also some drivers told people to just get off bus and drove back to depot when shift due to finish.

Good news:

Aberdeen bus firm scraps fares in bid to beat strike

Passengers face day of disruption

By Andrew Whitaker and David Ewen

Published: 15/07/2009

FIRST bus passengers in Aberdeen will be given free rides tomorrow

Bus Drivers are as greedy as they come and there are a lot of money grabbing c**ts in the world. My old man was a bus driver for 16 & 1/2 years and absolutely loved it. Good wage, good holiday entitlement, would have been a good pension, all the perks so that was back in 1991, so the drivers canna be telling me they're so hard up now?

UTTER PISH!!!!!!!

Supposedly the drivers are pressing for a pay rise which will see their basic salary rise to 34k a year. Im sorry but thats a joke. Leave school with no qualifications and drive a bus and be a moody f()cker and get that money. Most people are in the same boat with regards to pay rises (mine has been deferred 6 months minimum when it will get reviewed again). Detest Aberdeen bus drivers and their greed. They drive a bus for f()ck sake.

Supposedly the drivers are pressing for a pay rise which will see their basic salary rise to 34k a year. Im sorry but thats a joke. Leave school with no qualifications and drive a bus and be a moody f()cker and get that money. Most people are in the same boat with regards to pay rises (mine has been deferred 6 months minimum when it will get reviewed again). Detest Aberdeen bus drivers and their greed. They drive a bus for f()ck sake.

Thought it was a 52% increase that was initially reported by the EE, pretty sure I heard last night that it was actually 4% they were after - which I'm guessing would increase their salary to a whopping

Thank you to the stand in driver that got me into work on time.

Needed a wee bit of help with the route but he did fine, and seemed cheery enough.

As for the ones out on strike, aint happy ? Find another job.

You knew the wages and conditions when you took the job, you are a bus driver not

a feckn surgeon.

Grow some balls and tell your union to wise up.

Thank you to the stand in driver that got me into work on time.

Needed a wee bit of help with the route but he did fine, and seemed cheery enough.

As for the ones out on strike, aint happy ? Find another job.

You knew the wages and conditions when you took the job, you are a bus driver not

a feckn surgeon.

Grow some balls and tell your union to wise up.

100% spot on.

in the middle of a recession and some want more money. alot of people i know have lost jobs or taken a cut in wages (like me). at this point in time they should be happy just to have a job.

100% spot on.

in the middle of a recession and some want more money. alot of people i know have lost jobs or taken a cut in wages (like me). at this point in time they should be happy just to have a job.

We got told " sorry but no salary review" end of.

No spitting the dummy, life goes on because many others have lost their jobs.