The Ashes

Brett Lee has been ruled out of the first test.

Lee is Australias fastest and best bowler so far on this tour.

Advantage England for the first test, However they reckon the Cardiff pitch will turn so it may be spinners who win or lose this first test.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LondonScottish
Brett Lee has been ruled out of the first test.

Lee is Australias fastest and best bowler so far on this tour.

Advantage England for the first test, However they reckon the Cardiff pitch will turn so it may be spinners who win or lose this first test.

That's a massive loss for Australia, but I still reckon Cardiff will be a draw, not in a small part down to the weather. Lords may be a different story, which Lee is out for too.

Guest LondonScottish
LS or EPK, either of you ancy giving me a good price for who will win this? I am certain England will do so.

I'll give you 11/4 England to win the Ashes, and 13/8 England to win at Cardiff.

Guest LondonScottish
I've got tickets for all 5 days of the first test in Cardiff. Never been to an Ashes game before, nor been to Wales, so can't wait. Ashes 2005 was the best sport ever, albeit from my lounge watching on tv. Must admit i'm serously worried about this series. Just can't see England getting 20 Oz wickets. The English batsmen will click a couple of times so it's won't be 5-0, but there's no Simon Jones, (fully fit) Flintoff, Harmison Hoggard. Admittedly Oz don't have Warne or McGrath either but, as said before, average Australia isn't in the same league as average England.

Still can't wait for the series, particularly Cardiff. I'd take 5 dry days and England competing for most of that. Anything more will be a bonus.

If you've never been to a test, you'll have a brilliant time. I just hope you don't get too frustrated with the rain. However England and Australia are usually done and dusted within 4 days so you may get a conclusion.

I really don't think England have the strength in depth to win the series; they seem to be putting a lot on Flintoff who I don't think is 100% fit.

Personally i wouldnt put any money on Australia to win the ashes this summer.

The loss of Brett Lee is a killer blow in my opinion and although i think Englands attack isnt too great - its just that bit better than Australia at the moment. Clark is steady enough but he relies on the conditions too much and Johnson could be a handful on his day but they dont have much else at all.

The Aussies desperately need Ponting to start clicking as he hasnt really looked himself lately. Katich cant be relied upon at the top of the order and i think England have already started to get the measure of Hughes(who will be top-class but not yet). Hussey and Clark will score runs im pretty sure but their worries will be in the bowling department as England are heavy scorers at home.

Looking forward to it though and i hope im completely wrong but i can see it being 3-1 to England.

Guest LondonScottish
Personally i wouldnt put any money on Australia to win the ashes this summer.

The loss of Brett Lee is a killer blow in my opinion and although i think Englands attack isnt too great - its just that bit better than Australia at the moment. Clark is steady enough but he relies on the conditions too much and Johnson could be a handful on his day but they dont have much else at all.

The Aussies desperately need Ponting to start clicking as he hasnt really looked himself lately. Katich cant be relied upon at the top of the order and i think England have already started to get the measure of Hughes(who will be top-class but not yet). Hussey and Clark will score runs im pretty sure but their worries will be in the bowling department as England are heavy scorers at home.

Looking forward to it though and i hope im completely wrong but i can see it being 3-1 to England.

You'll get around 15-1 on England 3-1. That would be immense, can't wait for it now. Just hope Freddie and KP play to potential, and the rest of the England bowlers take advantage of what could be some really good swing conditions.

Guest LondonScottish
Should be a tight series either way. I fancy England to maybe sneak it.

What like will the support be for the England team in Wales anyway? I know it's technically the England & Wales team.

It'll be brilliant.

Guest LondonScottish
I'm just a bit pissed off that this is on Sky Sports. The 2005 Ashes were bloody awesome.

It was great coverage on channel 5. I thought they had it spot on, but I'm sure Sky will do equally as good if not better.

Obviously a pain in the arse for those without Sky though.

Seems the forecast is saying day 4 and 5 will be overcast with possible showers.

Thats should mean the ball will swing both ways and the team that bats first might have a better chance.

Anderson could cause some damage with a swinging duke on a wearing pitch.

Guest LondonScottish
You'll get around 15-1 on England 3-1. That would be immense, can't wait for it now. Just hope Freddie and KP play to potential, and the rest of the England bowlers take advantage of what could be some really good swing conditions.

Seems the forecast is saying day 4 and 5 will be overcast with possible showers.

Thats should mean the ball will swing both ways and the team that bats first might have a better chance.

Anderson could cause some damage with a swinging duke on a wearing pitch.

Agreed. That's what I think with these conditions for the next few days. Should be some exciting stuff as long as they don't get rained off too much.

Guest LondonScottish
Thank you, nice price btw considering 15/8 was the best I could find last night, you better not going editing if I win? :thumbup1:

I said I'd give you better odds so 11/4 it is.

The pitch is meant to be an "executive pitch" so i heard on talksport, in other words it will last all 5 days to make sure they make the most money out of it, I really think England will win this one, depends how KP and Freddy are but if they go with two spinner which is believed will happen I imagine they'll win it.

Also heard there will be no coin tossing before the first day of each test, instead it will be a special medel that will be quctioned off for Charity after the tests.

I knew you'd give me betetr odds but they are very good, thanks.

Guest LondonScottish
The pitch is meant to be an "executive pitch" so i heard on talksport, in other words it will last all 5 days to make sure they make the most money out of it, I really think England will win this one, depends how KP and Freddy are but if they go with two spinner which is believed will happen I imagine they'll win it.

Also heard there will be no coin tossing before the first day of each test, instead it will be a special medel that will be quctioned off for Charity after the tests.

I knew you'd give me betetr odds but they are very good, thanks.

They won't be needing it for five full days play as it'll be under cover a fair bit I would imagine.

Thank you, nice price btw considering 15/8 was the best I could find last night, you better not going editing if I win? ;)

watch Minijc.....Im still waiting on a score from Mr LS for Miller beating Lovell in the scoring stakes!

Guest LondonScottish
watch Minijc.....Im still waiting on a score from Mr LS for Miller beating Lovell in the scoring stakes!

Don't worry young Nespa, your crisp