Greatest Sportsman Ever?

Guest LondonScottish
Changing gender - Steffi Graf. I'd put Martina too, but Steffi got the Golden Grand Slam in 1988 and has a woman's body!

:confused:

Why don't you start a separate thread for greatest sportswoman?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest the shepherd

Steve Redgrave or Pete Sampras for me. To remain at the top of your profession for as long as they both did takes some doing. There are arguments against Steve Redgrave being the greatest sportsman ever as he took part in a team but we've to remember that he achieved his golds by being part of three different teams and not just one - that is some achievement in itself. As for Sampras being champion at Wimbledon countless times and at other grand slam tournaments and considering the stick he used to get from the media and public never put him off being motivated and determined to succeed when others would rather he never.

Man theres a quote are you a half wit or what?

What do you know about football when Pele played not very much i'm guessing.

How old are you ?...............pretty young i'm guessing and if your not you should be ashamed making statements like that.

:hysterical: Settle down Grandad.

Michael Johnson is an athlete that springs to mind. He was outrageously good at what he did and regularly tore the rest of the field a new arsehole. Not only that but he looked like he didn't even break sweat.

Just looked up his record and he won 4 Olympic Gold, 9 World Championship Gold, which is the most of any athlete in history, and still holds the 400m world record.

He'd be a close second to Armstrong. Tiger will probably be ahead of them both by the time he puts his clubs away for the last time.

Why don't you start a separate thread for greatest sportswoman?

Because the mods are forever merging threads, so it made sense to keep it all under one theme of greatness in sport. Is it really such a problem?

Thread is greatest sportsman ever.

Changing gender - Steffi Graf. I'd put Martina too, but Steffi got the Golden Grand Slam in 1988 and has a woman's body!

:fishing:

:wave:

Guest SS RED
Good achievement however if he was in the class of Taylor, Armstrong, Wood, etc. Then he'd be boxing now

What a ridiculous statement, how can you compare a boxer to a darts player.

Greatest boxer of all time: Sugar Ray Robinson, 202 fights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Ray_Robinson

Someone once said there was a comparison between Sugar Ray Leonard and Sugar Ray Robinson. Believe me, there's no comparison. Sugar Ray Robinson was the greatest.

—Sugar Ray Leonard

Without a doubt the greatest pound for pound fighter that ever lived.

—Jake LaMotta

The king, the master, my idol.

—Muhammad Ali on Robinson

Pretty much impossible to pick out one individual, as it's practically impossible to compare between sports. You're pitting guys like Armstrong and Redgrave, who've shown super human endurance against guys like Michael Jordan, Tiger woods and Muhammad Ali, who are/were outrageously gifted technicians.....

Federer is quite an interesting example.... Supposidely at the peak of his powers, he's regularly swept aside by the likes of Murray and Djokovic, while Nadal has, on occassion humiliated him. Last years the brutal thrashing he received at the hands of Nadal in the final of the French Open sticks in the mind. For that reason, I don't think he can be considered the best sportsman ever.... however I would agree that Federer is, overall, the best tennis player ever.

Guest LondonScottish
Because the mods are forever merging threads, so it made sense to keep it all under one theme of greatness in sport. Is it really such a problem?

:rolleyes:

Threads get merged if they're both about exactly the same subject, and this doesn't happen very often.

Start a new thread, and stop whining. :blink:

You might get more debate on a separate thread too.

Federer is quite an interesting example.... Supposidely at the peak of his powers, he's regularly swept aside by the likes of Murray and Djokovic, while Nadal has, on occassion humiliated him. Last years the brutal thrashing he received at the hands of Nadal in the final of the French Open sticks in the mind. For that reason, I don't think he can be considered the best sportsman ever.... however I would agree that Federer is, overall, the best tennis player ever.

I wouldn't say Federer is at the peak of his powers, that was a 2005-2007 when he reach 10 consecutive Grand Slam finals, as well as numerous titles

Threads get merged if they're both about exactly the same subject, and this doesn't happen very often.

Start a new thread, and stop whining. :)

You might get more debate on a separate thread too.

I wasn't the one doing the whining; just offering a mere comment that Steffi Graf was right up there, male or female.

Some men don't like a bit of competition, it seems!

:laughing:

Bob Paisley - 3 European Cups

Muhammed Ali - Superb boxer and highly regarded as the greatest that ever lived

Lance Armstrong - Already mentioned by someone, he dominated cycling just like Taylor dominated Darts

Phil Taylor - I think easily one of the greatest sportsman that has ever lived in my era thats for sure, doesn't get the credit at times simply because Darts isn't regarded as a big sport by many people. Love or hate Taylor, he's phenomenol within the game of Darts.

couldnt help yourself could you, trust you to say something stupid :poster_oops:

Guest SS RED

Lance Armstrong - Already mentioned by someone, he dominated cycling just like Taylor dominated Darts

Phil Taylor - I think easily one of the greatest sportsman that has ever lived in my era thats for sure, doesn't get the credit at times simply because Darts isn't regarded as a big sport by many people. Love or hate Taylor, he's phenomenol within the game of Darts.

Not In my opinion.

To be fair Armstrong dominated the Tour de France and not "cycling", barring a World Championship he didn't win anything else of real note.

Merckx and Fausto Coppi were more dominant in all events when in their prime.

There is a case for Merckx to be the best sportsman ever.

To be fair Armstrong dominated the Tour de France and not "cycling", barring a World Championship he didn't win anything else of real note.

Merckx and Fausto Coppi were more dominant in all events when in their prime.

There is a case for Merckx to be the best sportsman ever.

His battle with cancer? :dontknow:

Not diminishing the man's cancer battle and recovery in any way but it's not a sporting achievement is it ?

No it's not a sporting achievement but surely it makes winning 7 tour de france even more impressive?

No but it could be with a bit of will and some imagination.

Personally I would have judges holding up boards like at the diving and the skating, and an exceptional survivor gets a 6.0.

A charlatan, y'know, like a weegie faker on invalidity benefit, who's cancer isn't as bad as he makes it out to be, probably cos he never had it in the first place an aw that but, gets a 0.

Wind yer neck in baw sack

His battle with cancer? :(

No. Armstrong essentially tackled the tour and that was all. A bit like Tiger plans his season around the four majors, Armstrong geared his build up to winning the Tour and nothing else. If he'd given the Giro (in particular) and others 100% it's highly unlikely he'd have won as many Tours as johnstrac says.