Greatest Sportsman Ever?

personally i think the greatest sportsman can't really come from a group sport! Maradonna and Pele were great footballer but were also in great teams. Redgrave is the greatest British Olympian but was in a boat with 3 others! he could have been the weakest in a great boat!

Even tho i hate the guy with a passion Phil Taylor has to be up there. Federer and Sampas as well! Golden Bear in Golf but im pretty sure over the next 5/10 years Tiger will become the greatest ever!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally i think the greatest sportsman can't really come from a group sport! Maradonna and Pele were great footballer but were also in great teams. Redgrave is the greatest British Olympian but was in a boat with 3 others! he could have been the weakest in a great boat!

Even tho i hate the guy with a passion Phil Taylor has to be up there. Federer and Sampas as well! Golden Bear in Golf but im pretty sure over the next 5/10 years Tiger will become the greatest ever!

I suppose i tent to agree regarding the team aspect, Individual performances in head to head sports are IMO the greatest sportpeople.

I can just not pick a certain person to nominate. People who go undefeated for whole careers , Or people who go on winning streaks over years are great, Just difficult to pick one.

Guest SS RED

Tennis - Federer

Fitba - Maradonna/Pele/Zidane

Golf - Tiger Woods

Boxing - Sugar Ray Robinson (f**k off ali)

UFC - Anderson Silva

Cricket - Nae sure

He's only getting older. If he was still in great shape, Roddick wouldn't have survived a set in that final. I just can't see Federer dominating tennis for much longer with the likes of Nadal kicking about.

Nonsense - he would have survived at least 3 :laughing: . Anyway, Roddick served like a machine in the semi and final with an unbelievable 1st service percentage. It would have been hard to imagine a player other than Federer fighting back the way he did - especially 4 break points down in the 2nd set tie-break.

By his own high standards Fed had a sh*t year in 2008 but has bounced back in 2009 and won the last 2 slams. Furthermore, Nadal's career could easily be over before Federer's especially as he does not seem able/willing to take the necessary rest to get over his knee tendonitis - the same injury that has had Owen Hargreaves out for over a year.

And to answer EPKs question Fed is 19-2 v Roddick. And for completeness he's 7-13 v Nadal, albeit thats 2-9 on Clay and 5-4 on all other surfaces

Donald Bradman is the greatest ever cricketer, That has never been in question as every poll conducted shows this.

Is that the batsman that averaged 99.9 runs in test match? For me it is Warne or lara, two unreal cricketers, both iconic and have both helped further the game.

Is that the batsman that averaged 99.9 runs in test match? For me it is Warne or lara, two unreal cricketers, both iconic and have both helped further the game.

Yes he averaged 99.94 in test matches and would have averaged over 100 if he had not got out cheaply in his last test match , He also had a first class average of 95.14.

He still holds 16 world records including the most double and treble centuries.

I would not even class Lara as the best modern day batsman i would say Tendulkar did more for the game , Lara was more interested in personnel achievements that team results.

When Lara got the world record score in a test he sacrificed the West Indies winning the match to get that score.

Yes he averaged 99.94 in test matches and would have averaged over 100 if he had not got out cheaply in his last test match , He also had a first class average of 95.14.

He still holds 16 world records including the most double and treble centuries.

I would not even class Lara as the best modern day batsman i would say Tendulkar did more for the game , Lara was more interested in personnel achievements that team results.

When Lara got the world record score in a test he sacrificed the West Indies winning the match to get that score.

Aye but Tendulkar never batted in a team that depended almost solely on him to score the bulk of his teams runs, unlike Lara. West Indies were rank-rotten for the majority of Laras career and he carried them to some pretty astonishing results. By the time Tendulkar went into bad then often Dravid had already scored a ton relieving the wee man of pressure.

Aye but Tendulkar never batted in a team that depended almost solely on him to score the bulk of his teams runs, unlike Lara. West Indies were rank-rotten for the majority of Laras career and he carried them to some pretty astonishing results. By the time Tendulkar went into bad then often Dravid had already scored a ton relieving the wee man of pressure.

Show me a list of West Indies pretty astonishing results that Lara scored heavily in and won with a rank rotten team.

I dont doubt he is a great great player, But he put himself first and team second, remember it is a team game so if Tendulkar got out and Dravid went on and scored a ton thats the better good for the team.

IMO thats why KP will never be seen as a true great , he is selfish and will play a shot ( ashes) rather that play for the team.