Butcher Rants

There are lots of ways to get the TV money and gate money back though tiny.

Play offs for euro spot and a relegation spot for starters gives 4-8 teams 2 or 3 more games.

I'd have it so

1st CL spot

2nd Euro spot

3rd-6th play offs for euro spot

15th and 16th straight down

11th-14th play offs for final relegation

Euro spot for SC

Euro spot for LC

A reconstruction of the League cup back to a mini league format could give 3-6 more games for every club depending on if its done home and away or just 3 games. (leagues of 4 obviously) Those leagues could be made up of 1 SPL team, 1 SPL 2 team and 2 regional teams so more money is brought into the lower leagues as well. Add in a Euro place for the winner and it makes it a worthwhile comp again. It used to be really popular when it was a league format before. It was changed in the 80's when Scottish teams were doing well in Europe to cut the amount of games AFC and DUtd were playing and not because it was poorly attended.

That gives all top flight clubs 36 games with 8 of them having another 2 or 3 games in the play offs. TV deals for the play offs as well then takes in more cash for those clubs...

When Dunfermline were in the SPL they had crowds of around 7K. Aye there is all the arguments about them overspending and attracting players they couldnt afford etc but the crowds were still there. AFC v Dunfermline was always a popular one a Pittodrie, a lot more popular than us v Hamilton, St Johnstone etc is now.

A fairer split of the TV money so its more in line with the EPL and Championship. Its worked for them, it could and should work for us as well. The top 3 take 30-40% of all the cash, not exactly helping the rest of us...

After a few years of the money filtering through to the clubs in the lower leagues and also the likes of us because of the fairer split, as long as there are provisos that this revenue has to be reinvested into the clubs, be that in youth or stadia then the overall quality will begin to improve. With an improvement in quality comes more through the gates, more advertising revenue and more TV money the next time round meaning any shortfall in the first few years would be made up and hopefully would actually increase.

There are lots of ways to add value and take in more money without going back to a 10 team league. Lets face it, the 10 teams didnt work last time so whats going to make it any different this time?

Thought we lost one of our Euro spots for next season?

One CL spot now & only two UEFAs now is it not?

So one for 2nd place & one for Scottish cup.

I do like the idea of Euro spot for LC as well if we ever get another spot cos it would certainly bring that cup to life again.

All this talk of plays off for this and play offs for that.... your position at the end of the season should be determined by how you do over the entire season, not just on a handful of select games. That utter ridiculous idea that Thompson floated about the title being decided by a play off, is as mad as European places being decided or in fact, relegation. If you're good, then you deserve all that comes your way. If you're rank, then tattie bye-bye.

Dressing up this and that to paper over the cracks is not what we need. We need more cash to invest in both youth, facilties and more importantly, better players on higher wages than we have at present.

Attracting the historically smaller clubs into the SPL might make for more wins for the likes of us, but will that improve AFC as a club? Will it improve the smaller teams?

change two things

split should be biased towards 2H 2 A per team rather than 19H19A if one season you play 22A and 16H thats just how it is, the balance of 2 H 2 A per team is kept - eventually it will even out and it is better than this farce you have at the moment of trying to balance things

Secondly to encorage attacking goal scoring football

2 Pts for a win

0 Pts for a draw or loss

1 Pt for geting onto the score sheet

0-0 = nil points

1-0 = 3 pts to home 0 pts to away

2-1 = 3 pts to home 1 pts to away

1-1 = 1 pt each

9-0 = 3 pts home 0 pts away

9-1 = 3pts home 1 pt away

Would open games up as no team would sit in for a 0-0 to take a point away they would have to attack at some point

Utter nonsense. So Aberdeen, Hearts, Utd, Hibs, Motherwell..... all these teams will have a priority of staying up than of trying to push for top 3, Europe, cups wins etc?

Yes. SM himself stated that Aberdeens' budget at the start of the season is geared for finishing 11th in the league and knocked out at the first hurdle in the cups. Suggests to me that the sole intention is staying up and anything else is a Brucie

Yes. SM himself stated that Aberdeens' budget at the start of the season is geared for finishing 11th in the league and knocked out at the first hurdle in the cups. Suggests to me that the sole intention is staying up and anything else is a Brucie

No it doesn't. It means that they are prudent in their finances, nothing more. If you plan ahead with the thinking you will finish 4th and get to a semi final or two, and don't achieve it, then you lose money. That is like saying, I will go and buy a house based on predicted earnings in 10 years time. I don't however, go to work each morning, thinking it could be the last day of work I have there as I may end up getting sacked.

AFC do not look at their seasons goals as trying to stay up. Neither would Utd, Hibs or Hearts. If you think this is the case, then you are off your tits.

all these teams will have a priority of staying up than of trying to push for top 3, Europe, cups wins etc?

Yes. SM himself stated that Aberdeens' budget at the start of the season is geared for finishing 11th in the league and knocked out at the first hurdle in the cups.

AFC do not look at their seasons goals as trying to stay up. Neither would Utd, Hibs or Hearts. If you think this is the case, then you are off your tits.

Not their goal, of course, but it is certainly their priority.

change two things

split should be biased towards 2H 2 A per team rather than 19H19A if one season you play 22A and 16H thats just how it is, the balance of 2 H 2 A per team is kept - eventually it will even out and it is better than this farce you have at the moment of trying to balance things

Secondly to encorage attacking goal scoring football

2 Pts for a win

0 Pts for a draw or loss

1 Pt for geting onto the score sheet

0-0 = nil points

1-0 = 3 pts to home 0 pts to away

2-1 = 3 pts to home 1 pts to away

1-1 = 1 pt each

9-0 = 3 pts home 0 pts away

9-1 = 3pts home 1 pt away

Would open games up as no team would sit in for a 0-0 to take a point away they would have to attack at some point

You want 1-1 draw at home to Celtic to get same amount of points as a 9-1 loss at Hamilton?

And 9-1 loss at St Mirren a point but no points for 0-0 at Ibrox?

Bonkers!!

You want 1-1 draw at home to Celtic to get same amount of points as a 9-1 loss at Hamilton?

And 9-1 loss at St Mirren a point but no points for 0-0 at Ibrox?

Bonkers!!

Agree with K9 on that one!

Sorry Bamber just don't think there's anything wrong with the points system really. Its not perfect but it'll do and I don't want to see Scotland out of step with the rest of the world on something so fundamental.

Killie chairman basically saying Doncaster was telling porkies and the whole organisation and process was a shambles, it was utterly unprofessional and embarassing

Thats pretty damning if true. Not sure what to make of it, is the Killie chairman reliable or is he just another chairman with an agenda to push. I take it he was the only SPL chairman on the show and giving an opinion?

Killie chairman basically saying Doncaster was telling porkies and the whole organisation and process was a shambles, it was utterly unprofessional and embarassing

Seems a few clubs still having a go - we will see what happens when the 10-12 proposed set up goes to a vote what they will do.

Thats pretty damning if true. Not sure what to make of it, is the Killie chairman reliable or is he just another chairman with an agenda to push. I take it he was the only SPL chairman on the show and giving an opinion?

He's an absolute gluepot of the highest order. Who was it that was having issues there a season or two back and they eventually sold him on... Kyle was it not? I listened to a 30 min interview with him on Radio Scotland before the matches and he was speaking utter cobblers.

The main problem here is that it's more a case of self preservation than anything else. The top teams want more cash and don't want to lose the revenue from a diluted SPL, and the lesser teams don't want to be relegated. Simple as that really. I can't see why Hearts are sticking the knife in to the league of 10 idea.... what is their solution - have they came up with one?