Gardening

The Boofon

Planning on growing a fair bit of fruit and veg this year and this weekend will see me begin to turn over the soil to get rid of any soil pest eggs that may be lurking.

Anyone else take an interest or got an allotment and willing to share some tips of best varieties of fruit and veg to grow.

Leeks, beetroot, carrots and ingins are regular favourites. Anyone got any top tips or a veg that's under rated and worth making the effort to grow?

Cheers now.

Planning on growing a fair bit of fruit and veg this year and this weekend will see me begin to turn over the soil to get rid of any soil pest eggs that may be lurking.

Anyone else take an interest or got an allotment and willing to share some tips of best varieties of fruit and veg to grow.

Leeks, beetroot, carrots and ingins are regular favourites. Anyone got any top tips or a veg that's under rated and worth making the effort to grow?

Cheers now.

Not got any tips as I'm a novice but I've always wanted to grow a prize winning marrow.

Herbs are great to grow as well as they will literally last forever and save you a fortune from Sainsbury's.

Cheers now.

Radish, Black-currants and cucumbers are my faves (nae sure of the varieties though). I get good success with these.

Also if you got room you should try a pumpkin or 2, I grow a few of them for Halloween and the kids love em they also make magic soup or a scary mask latern.

I use chicken manure on my soil it seems to boost fruit size for some reason, and with 5 lovely ladies pecking round my house its free. they also keep slugs n snails at bay

Grow your own you know its the future

Jesus i sound like a bloody hippy

:hysterical:

Agree with Tup. Why grow them. They might be sh*te.

Give me mass produced veggies any day of the week.

Grow them because I've a big f**king garden and I have vegetable plots in my big f**king garden and so it makes perfect sense.

You winna be complaining come september when my orchard is producing perfect cider apples and my cider is the dog's bollocks.

Hark at this fool, I take it you have man servants servicing this orchard of yours on your vast estate, as well as servicing your backside after hours :gay:

I've got a cleaner in at the moment of the female variety if that's any use.

Also currently chit chatting with the chimney sweep who happens to be an old man and not a young boy. :ThumbsDown:

I like to grow grass

I take it you've been smoking it before logging on here? :sherlock:

It all makes sense now, the star readings, the astral projections, the hankering nostalgia driven threads for some obscure deid hippy fae the 60's that no c**t's ever heard of.

Must be good gear.

Sadly I live in a flat, but once I have a garden I will certainly be growing my own veg. My girlfriends dad has several raised beds, his stuff is delicious - typical less perfect looking than supermarket stuff, but always bigger and tastier.

What do you use? Raised beds, growbags, pots, all of these?

I am very interested in hydroponics and would definitely look to incorporate some aspect of that into my vegetable growing, even just for the hobby aspect.

Ive seen a cracking NFT system for lettuce, made out of guttering and mounted to the house (brick) wall inside a conservatory.

My Dad used to have a greenhouse, in which my Grandad would grow tomatos - grow bags and hand watered, very easy it seemed (I would definitely automate the watering though, he just did it by hand)

Cheers now.

Whats ingins?

Id have thought potatos would be appealling to most?

What about turnips also?

Grow them because I've a big f**king garden and I have vegetable plots in my big f**king garden and so it makes perfect sense.

You winna be complaining come september when my orchard is producing perfect cider apples and my cider is the dog's bollocks.

A good father would convert that plot into a football pitch for their loon.

You dont have the technology to make your own cider.

You sir, are a fraud.

Whats ingins?

Come awa CS min, you really dinna ken what ingins are? The bags for which have been known to adorn many a schoolkids hastily assembled homemade goalposts back in the days when fitba was just fitba and not the b*stardised financial circus of today?

What about turnips also?

= neeps min, neeps.

Come awa CS min, you really dinna ken what ingins are? The bags for which have been known to adorn many a schoolkids hastily assembled homemade goalposts back in the days when fitba was just fitba and not the b*stardised financial circus of today?

Ah, onions.

I take it the same person who originally derived "ingins" from onions, was also responsible for "ken" from know?

;)

= neeps min, neeps.

Turnips ya bass!

I would use neeps over "swedes" (as per Asda signage) right enough.

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers now.

Nothing better than eating fruit, veg and herbs you've grown yourself.

I will be growing sugarsnap peas/mangetout, carrots, potatoes, chillis, tomatoes, red and green 'salad bowl' lettuce, salad onions (sybies my granda called them!), chives, garlic chives, strawberries, rhubarb, basil and thyme.

Tips?, grow carrots and ingins/sybies side by side/row each as carrot fly don't like ingins and vice versa.

Sow/Grow sugersnap peas/mangetout in toilet roll tubes, as good root trainers and tubes protect young seedlings from pests/birds. (Same for sweet pea plants)

Keep netting around strawberries, or birds will eat the fruit.

All the fruit/veg/herbs I grow can be grown on containers/pots outdoors.

Hope this helps!

Last year i grew beetroots, onions and tomatoes. I don't know about this year yet, it feels like it's been winter forever. Spring is nearly unimaginable.

It's interesting what things look like when they grow, I'm always wondering that. Look up cashew nuts - each one grows on a cashew apple and yesterday i was looking up lentils and pepper corns. I like supermarkets but they somehow dissociate you from reality. Meat doesn't exist in nature in small white polystyrene trays wrapped in cellophane.

Last year i grew beetroots, onions and tomatoes. I don't know about this year yet, it feels like it's been winter forever. Spring is nearly unimaginable.

It's interesting what things look like when they grow, I'm always wondering that. Look up cashew nuts - each one grows on a cashew apple and yesterday i was looking up lentils and pepper corns. I like supermarkets but they somehow dissociate you from reality. Meat doesn't exist in nature in small white polystyrene trays wrapped in cellophane.

Great day today. Grass got first cut (highest setting on mower), compost dug into vegetable plots, Strawberry and raspberry plants attended to, some of the apple trees attended to and some manure sorted out for veg plots coming next week. DId some much needed weeding getting rid of the first of the dandies. It's going to be a long spring.

Anyone brave enough to have planted out yet?

I'll wait another couple of weeks as there may still be some frost to come.

Great day today. Grass got first cut (highest setting on mower), compost dug into vegetable plots, Strawberry and raspberry plants attended to, some of the apple trees attended to and some manure sorted out for veg plots coming next week. DId some much needed weeding getting rid of the first of the dandies. It's going to be a long spring.

Anyone brave enough to have planted out yet?

I'll wait another couple of weeks as there may still be some frost to come.

Get a grip.

If I ever mention gardening please shoot me, as my life will effectively be over anyway.

Do you hae a gerden?

If you do is it a cowp?

Lang grass and empty bugs o crisps?

Ya minker min!

Nae excuse for an untidy gerden imo.

I've got two, and I cut the grass but that's as far as it goes. I only do what I have to, and no more.

I might tarmac the c**ts over yet.