Highlights Up

You cant seriously be suggesting that when a spare player is wide open in a dangerous position for ages that one of 2 players marking 1 man shouldn't go and mark the other player no matter what the lazy left winger or strikers are doing. You just don't leave a man wide open there. If Brown wants his players to double up on 1 player to prevent a short throw but leave a sexcond player wide open for a short throw then i would be very worried.

If there are 3 players available for short throw do we pull 6 players to double up on them all? Exactly - ridiculous.

No. If 3 players go short, 3 defenders follow at their backs preventing them from turning. Add in the thrower gives 4 attackers, who is then picked up once he becomes active after taking the throw. That gives 4 attackers marked by 4 defenders. The added benefit of the fourth defender is that he can help cut off a short ball into feet but by no means is it doubling up. Not hard is it?

Once more, Craigan was not Maguire's man. He was not spare as you suggest, he was picking up the thrower. Craigan should have been tracked by one of the central strikers.

• Site Sponsor

http://news.bbc.co.u...rem/9396981.stm

Wonderful goal by Aluko, like the Sone of old there, team looking comfortable. And then...... nothing (team-wise i mean).

Thought it at the time and still say Clangers should have had that 1st goal comfortably, i mean the little c**t only flicked the ball, Langfield off his line as usual but still should have had it.

Again i thought it at the time and still stunned that Lasley wasn't also given his marching orders. Blatant elbow on Hartley. The ref is even looking right at it too.

The winning goal is just an utter shambles by Diamond, Vuja and Langfield.

For their first goal I thought it went into the top corner, but no it was the Jamie Langfield optical illusion. He was almost on his knees when the ball passed him. If he had stood up it would have been a very simple save.

Get that clown out of my team!

No. If 3 players go short, 3 defenders follow at their backs preventing them from turning. Add in the thrower gives 4 attackers, who is then picked up once he becomes active after taking the throw. That gives 4 attackers marked by 4 defenders. The added benefit of the fourth defender is that he can help cut off a short ball into feet but by no means is it doubling up. Not hard is it?

Once more, Craigan was not Maguire's man. He was not spare as you suggest, he was picking up the thrower. Craigan should have been tracked by one of the central strikers.

One of the central strikers can be clearly seen marking a Motherwell player in middle. But will ask again - what is the point of doubling up on player who would have been out wide and in corner when there is a player 10/15 yards further back standing wide open. It was not a late run either - just standing wide open 35 yards out.

Double up on player in corner with back to goal or mark a wide open player with time and space 35 yards out?

One of the central strikers can be clearly seen marking a Motherwell player in middle. But will ask again - what is the point of doubling up on player who would have been out wide and in corner when there is a player 10/15 yards further back standing wide open. It was not a late run either - just standing wide open 35 yards out.

Double up on player in corner with back to goal or mark a wide open player with time and space 35 yards out?

There's no doubling up going on. Three Motherwell players and three Aberdeen players. 3/3 = 1; one man each. That says to me that someone else, somewhere else on the pitch is not marking anybody which allows Craigan to become free. If one of the strikers is picking up in the middle of the pitch outside the box, then what midfielder isn't doing their job? Someone isn't doing their job, but it is quite patently not Maguire.

One of the strikers. So what's the other one doing? The should shuttle across. No need for one of them to be near the opposing right back (which must be the case if one is picking up another player in the middle. Assume Maguire does pick up Craigan and we get the ball we don't have David Beckham in our team. The left forward is never going to receive a pass.

Who is doubling up? He's making sure the thrower (left back) doesn't receive the ball.

Can you explain to me why you want the right midfielder to pick up the opposing teams centre half. That's the bit I'm really not grasping.

There's no doubling up going on. Three Motherwell players and three Aberdeen players. 3/3 = 1; one man each. That says to me that someone else, somewhere else on the pitch is not marking anybody which allows Craigan to become free. If one of the strikers is picking up in the middle of the pitch outside the box, then what midfielder isn't doing their job? Someone isn't doing their job, but it is quite patently not Maguire.

Quite clearly a doubling up on the Motherwell player and not marking the thrower

Picture.jpg

As said earlier Aluko standing edge of box doing absolutely nothing but despite this still cant leave a player wide open whilst doubling up elsewhere. Just basics.

Cause he is standing in our half on the right side whilst our right sided player not marking anyone.

As is the throw in taker making a 2v1, justifying our point that either way someone is not picking up which is leaving Maguire getting hung out to dry.

Consider this:

1. Left back moves forward to take throw, right mid follows him. Centre back moves into space and puts in cross they score from. Right mid blamed.

and

2. Left back moves forward to take throw, right mid leaves him free to instead mark centre back. Left back gets ball back from throw and has time to put ball in box. They score. Right mid blamed for not tracking left back.

As is the throw in taker making a 2v1, justifying our point that either way someone is not picking up which is leaving Maguire getting hung out to dry.

Consider this:

1. Left back moves forward to take throw, right mid follows him. Centre back moves into space and puts in cross they score from. Right mid blamed.

and

2. Left back moves forward to take throw, right mid leaves him free to instead mark centre back. Left back gets ball back from throw and has time to put ball in box. They score. Right mid blamed for not tracking left back.

No doubt at all someone not doing the work (Aluko for one) but you can't just leave a player wide open in order to do, well...... nothing. Not blaming - but just basics that if no man go get one standing 15 yards from you wide open. Happens all the time in games - just so happens we conceded on this occasion.

Cause he is standing in our half on the right side whilst our right sided player not marking anyone.

I'm sorry but you have just posted a picture that disproves your own point. Maguire is in that position to stop either of those Motherwell players receiving the ball to feet to give the ball back to the thrower. He'll have to throw it to their heads and if he does Maguire will challenge or pressure the thrower so he can't cross it and is boxed in. And you can see it isn't 3 on 3 either as the Well player is making a run in to the box or at least dragging Hartley (I think) away.

Aluko is picking up absolutely no one as we're clearly going man for man in the box and when we clear it he chases the second ball. From that picture Vernon should split the two and in the off chance Craigan gets the ball under that circumstance then Aluko will have to watch the man he is picking up. Just basics.

I'm sorry but you have just posted a picture that disproves your own point. Maguire is in that position to stop either of those Motherwell players receiving the ball to feet to give the ball back to the thrower. He'll have to throw it to their heads and if he does Maguire will challenge or pressure the thrower so he can't cross it and is boxed in. And you can see it isn't 3 on 3 either as the Well player is making a run in to the box or at least dragging Hartley (I think) away.

Why would the player even think of throwing it to the player marked by 2 players when he has one in 15 yards of space just beside him?

Why would the player even think of throwing it to the player marked by 2 players when he has one in 15 yards of space just beside him?

The whole point of Maguire being there was to make sure the player didn't receive the ball.

As you say there is another player with fifteen yards of space. Vernon should have had him.

We'll have to agree to disagree bud :cheers:

The whole point of Maguire being there was to make sure the player didn't receive the ball.

As you say there is another player with fifteen yards of space. Vernon should have had him.

We'll have to agree to disagree bud :cheers:

Vernon already marking someone in middle.

Dont think we should have 11 back defending for a throw in. Last time i saw that was under Calderwood.

It's not eleven back though? I said earlier on Vernon should split the two and Blackman will come across.

You're being difficult for the sake of it and I've explained how I feel on the topic enough times today. I didn't think Mods were supposed to go on trolling trips.

It's not eleven back though? I said earlier on Vernon should split the two and Blackman will come across.

You're being difficult for the sake of it and I've explained how I feel on the topic enough times today. I didn't think Mods were supposed to go on trolling trips.

It would be 11 back, clearly if Blackman dropped in to mark the man Vernon was on and Vernon moving across.