Budget For Next Season

This is, to quote the lyrical geniuses that were Mis-Teeq, so so so scandalous...

Aberdeen manager Craig Brown has been told he will have to convince the Dons board to allocate the proceeds from the sale of Chris Maguire to his football budget.

The Dons have demanded £400,000 in compensation from Derby County for the 22-year-old attacker, but director of football Willie Miller admits Brown will have to plead his case for using whatever money comes in to strengthen his squad.

Brown has been allocated his budget for the new season and Miller insists the manager will have to use it first before any transfer fees received will be redistributed.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2307791/

Talk about lack of ambition!

Great way to entice fans along next season... NAE!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just wondering what promises were made to Brown that would have tempted him to leave the job he was doing well at, to come to Aberdeen where they're basically, and not surprisingly, telling him to plead for money... which he won't get anyway.

I mean, he had a decent squad a Motherwell, far less rebuilding to be done, and just about the same amount of cash to play with... ie, feck all.

I get the impression the board were less than truthful when they approached him.... but that was my gut reaction anyway.

I'm just wondering what promises were made to Brown that would have tempted him to leave the job he was doing well at, to come to Aberdeen where they're basically, and not surprisingly, telling him to plead for money... which he won't get anyway.

I mean, he had a decent squad a Motherwell, far less rebuilding to be done, and just about the same amount of cash to play with... ie, feck all.

I get the impression the board were less than truthful when they approached him.... but that was my gut reaction anyway.

Probably cos Murderwell will never and could never amount to anything. Aberdeen are one of the few clubs in Scotland which given the right manager and investment could achieve 'success' - whatever that means in one of the shittest leagues in Europe.... To have stayed at Murderwell would have signalled a lack of ambition and an admission he was passed it. Ladies man that he is - he just couldnae resist the tempting flirtatiousness of Milne and co....

Think about it.

He's hardly going to come out and say 'he's got four hundred thousand pounds to spend right now, as he sees fit', talk about financial suicide.

This is the implication of the post, that we are lacking ambition.

Is a statement like that not just common sense, when you consider most teams have no money and would look to screw us for more cash if they knew we were interested in their players? More than they would quote to other clubs? This has happened so many times in the past.

Just wait and see how we line up in August before firing broadsides about.

This is the way AFC should do business, Brown understands the club, the ethos, McGhee did not, loudmouthed proclamations were his way, not in keeping with the traditions of the club at all, he did not understand the football club. Amazing really, when you consider his playing time here.

Keeping things under the radar is the way the club should work. Tell the media nothing. They have made fools of the club for a considerable period and it's correct that we should treat them with the utter contempt they deserve, until such time as they start reporting objectively on Aberdeen games and stories. Ban them fae Pittodrie if they continually denigrate us. Send out a message that we're taking every aspect of things seriously again.

The most important thing of all is to get the Aberdeen mentality back at the club. Never mind players, they come and go. If Brown gets this right, and I think he will, we will take off again, mark my words.

Too many of our managers just signed players, good and bad, in a scattergun approach whilst paying zero attention to the club's mentality.

How many of our recent managers understood the Dons properly?

None.

So with the best will, and indeed players, in the world you will not get anywhere until the whole mentality of the club is geared towards winning the game on a Saturday, and nothing else. Purely focus on the next game.

I want to hear none of this 'oh it's Rangers, we'll be well up for it' pish from anyone within the club, prior to playing them, to feed the slavering neanderthals in the west coast media their obligatory titbit. Tell these newspapers in no uncertain terms to GTF, and if they do want to speak to the players, they will only do so on terms agreed with our manager and assistant, and any Rangers slant put on the comments when reported, as has been the case for some time, will result in an outright ban from Pittodrie for their bias and contempt for the club.

We need a siege mentality, top to bottom, a two fingers up to the rest of the teams in Scotland, we like none of you.

Every game, 100%, sweat and toil for the cause, or out the door. Nobody who lacks this mindset gets signed.

Spending money is easy done, we know that to our eternal damnation.

What we need to do is get the team right, the right mix, the right attitude going forward, and things will change very quickly for Aberdeen. Momentum is everything in football.

To be honest I'd be happy with 15 excellent players who are used most weeks and to hell with the hangers on, supplement them with youngsters, who get regular game time in a good team, rather than 90 minutes every week watching goals rain past them in some of the club's most embarrassing defeats and performances in their history. That episode has probably ruined some of them, being hung out to dry did them no favours. Brown will not play them next season unless necessary, and rightly so.

Anyway I hear there are one or two irons in the fire regards signings and we'll hear of a couple of new faces very shortly.

This is, to quote the lyrical geniuses that were Mis-Teeq, so so so scandalous...

Same aald shecht as the previous managers have had. You could appoint the chosen one for AFC and he woudlnae get a budget any more than a few coppers

AFC is dead in the water as long as the current board remains in charge

Too many of our managers just signed players, good and bad, in a scattergun approach whilst paying zero attention to the club's mentality.

None.

So with the best will, and indeed players, in the world you will not get anywhere until the whole mentality of the club is geared towards winning the game on a Saturday, and nothing else. Purely focus on the next game.

I want to hear none of this 'oh it's Rangers, we'll be well up for it' pish from anyone within the club, prior to playing them, to feed the slavering neanderthals in the west coast media their obligatory titbit. Tell these newspapers in no uncertain terms to GTF, and if they do want to speak to the players, they will only do so on terms agreed with our manager and assistant, and any Rangers slant put on the comments when reported, as has been the case for some time, will result in an outright ban from Pittodrie for their bias and contempt for the club.

We need a siege mentality, top to bottom, a two fingers up to the rest of the teams in Scotland, we like none of you.

Every game, 100%, sweat and toil for the cause, or out the door. Nobody who lacks this mindset gets signed.

What we need to do is get the team right, the right mix, the right attitude going forward, and things will change very quickly for Aberdeen. Momentum is everything in football.

To be honest I'd be happy with 15 excellent players who are used most weeks and to hell with the hangers on, supplement them with youngsters, who get regular game time in a good team, rather than 90 minutes every week watching goals rain past them in some of the club's most embarrassing defeats and performances in their history. That episode has probably ruined some of them, being hung out to dry did them no favours. Brown will not play them next season unless necessary, and rightly so.

Anyway I hear there are one or two irons in the fire regards signings and we'll hear of a couple of new faces very shortly.

Agree with what you are saying Tup, but I think it irks a lot of folk that we are still shelling out 100,000's of pounds on suits and appear to be unable to control our non football operating costs

Probably cos Murderwell will never and could never amount to anything. Aberdeen are one of the few clubs in Scotland which given the right manager and investment could achieve 'success' - whatever that means in one of the shittest leagues in Europe.... To have stayed at Murderwell would have signalled a lack of ambition and an admission he was passed it. Ladies man that he is - he just couldnae resist the tempting flirtatiousness of Milne and co....

Define 'success'

The most a club like Aberdeen could ever hope for in Scotland is 3rd place and the Scottish Cup. That most certainly isn't beyond Motherwell - and they've be much closer to achieving 'success' than we have recently!

Talk about needlessly undermining your manager and making him look a bit silly.

• Site Sponsor

They won't be surprised that the arse has fallen out of season ticket sales then.

No doubt it's all our fault.

I would guess it was the offer of two year contract that he could not get off Well that made him move.

Who cares about season ticket sales, apart from zit ridden, nerdy bean counters?

We play well, fans come in the gate, we get money. Forget about when we get it, a good team ensures a good crowd.

So to claim moral umbrage over all this is ludicrous, and shows a sweetie wifie mentality,

None.

:applause: Woo fecking Hoo............spot on tup :applause:

Define 'success'

The most a club like Aberdeen could ever hope for in Scotland is 3rd place and the Scottish Cup. That most certainly isn't beyond Motherwell - and they've be much closer to achieving 'success' than we have recently!

Success in Scotland for a team outside of the OF is a cup win every few years and qualifying for Europe on a regular basis. Murderwell dont have the resources to achieve that. Aberdeen, Hibs, HEarts and maybe Utd are the only clubs that can build any sort of legacy. Murderwell, with an average crowd of 5,000, will never achieve anything substantive.

Think about it.

He's hardly going to come out and say 'he's got four hundred thousand pounds to spend right now, as he sees fit', talk about financial suicide.

This is the implication of the post, that we are lacking ambition.

Is a statement like that not just common sense, when you consider most teams have no money and would look to screw us for more cash if they knew we were interested in their players? More than they would quote to other clubs? This has happened so many times in the past.

Just wait and see how we line up in August before firing broadsides about.

This is the way AFC should do business, Brown understands the club, the ethos, McGhee did not, loudmouthed proclamations were his way, not in keeping with the traditions of the club at all, he did not understand the football club. Amazing really, when you consider his playing time here.

Keeping things under the radar is the way the club should work. Tell the media nothing. They have made fools of the club for a considerable period and it's correct that we should treat them with the utter contempt they deserve, until such time as they start reporting objectively on Aberdeen games and stories. Ban them fae Pittodrie if they continually denigrate us. Send out a message that we're taking every aspect of things seriously again.

The most important thing of all is to get the Aberdeen mentality back at the club. Never mind players, they come and go. If Brown gets this right, and I think he will, we will take off again, mark my words.

What happened to the money for Anderson or Miller, if the club is to be believed (and they're really not, but for the sake of argument let's say they are), there's 1.6 million quid right there.

How much of that was spent in terms of transfer fees?

Money comes in and stays in... meaning managers have to go looking at amateurs to play in the SPL.

We've lost, what, about 9 players and brought in 1?

IF the budget is the same, and again I don't believe it will be, then he has around 8 wages to play with before he needs to beg for the Maguire money... which he won't get.

And the chances of us bringing in 8 more players?

Absolutely nil.

Success in Scotland for a team outside of the OF is a cup win every few years and qualifying for Europe on a regular basis. Murderwell dont have the resources to achieve that. Aberdeen, Hibs, HEarts and maybe Utd are the only clubs that can build any sort of legacy. Murderwell, with an average crowd of 5,000, will never achieve anything substantive.

You really overestimate AFC. You're thinking of AFC of old when we were maybe a half decent team and club.

Now it's only being pretentious to think we're any better than all of the so called "DIDDY" teams.

You really overestimate AFC. You're thinking of AFC of old when we were maybe a half decent team and club.

Now it's only being pretentious to think we're any better than all of the so called "DIDDY" teams.

We are a tiny fish in a small pond. Motherwell and the likes are smaller fish in that tiny pond. I don't think Aberdeen are currently any better than many other teams in the SPHell but I do think we are one of the 'big' teams in Scottish football and that if we got our game together we would attract more people. I just dont think Motherwell, St Midden, ICT etc have any sort of support which would come out if they had 'success'. That isn't slandering them....its just the way it is.

Motherwell and the other diddy teams can have some sort of short term success but they do not have the resources or the support to sustain any sort of long term 'success' (in the Scottish game that means a cup win every few years and qualifying for Europe).

They have a right to exist but they are small teams andits embarassing that any team averages less than 5,000 per home game in the top division.

What was our average last season? What do you think it will be this year if we have a bad season?

Last year it was this....so despite us being sh*te we are way above anything those diddy teams will ever get...f**k, even Utd who are apparently having a renaissance are 2,000 behind. Yes, our crowds are getting lower....but that isnt my point. My point is that in the context of teh Scottish game, where revenues still depend a lot on attendances, the likes of motherwell etc dont have a chance. Yes, we are sh*te, yes we have no money....but the support (atleast potentially) is there, unlike 50% of the SPHell.

http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=home_statistics

Average

Celtic 48968

Rangers 45305

Hearts 14185

Hibernian 11756

Aberdeen 9129

Dundee Utd 7389

Kilmarnock 6427

Motherwell 5255

Inverness CT 4526

St Mirren 4450

St Johnstone 3841

Hamilton 2898

Total

Team Total Attendance

Celtic 930395

Rangers 860793

Hearts 269506

Hibernian 223360

Aberdeen 173460

Dundee Utd 140391

Kilmarnock 122106

Motherwell 99838

Inverness CT 85998

St Mirren 84545

St Johnstone 72982

Hamilton 55056

None.

==================================================================================

"Anyway I hear there are one or two irons in the fire regards signings and we'll hear of a couple of new faces very shortly"

Tup - a reliable source or just speculation?

• Site Sponsor

Who cares about season ticket sales, apart from zit ridden, nerdy bean counters?

We play well, fans come in the gate, we get money. Forget about when we get it, a good team ensures a good crowd.

So to claim moral umbrage over all this is ludicrous, and shows a sweetie wifie mentality,

Too simplistic

There will be many even if we get on a run who will be very slow to return, therefore the money for those games they don't go to is lost for good. That is why season ticket sales are so vital.

Too simplistic

There will be many even if we get on a run who will be very slow to return, therefore the money for those games they don't go to is lost for good. That is why season ticket sales are so vital.

I don't believe that, it's just the 'money up front' culture accountants are so fond of at work.

If we have a good team playing good football the people will come.

You canna blame folk for being reticent right now, given we've lost a few players, and signed hardly anybody.

But I'm confident those who do sign will be significantly better than those who left, thus ensuring bigger crowds, and a bigger average attendance by far next year.

Let the number crunchers pepper in the meantime.