Chris Clark Signs

I had a season ticket for a couple of years during Clarks first spell and my abiding memory of him was a player who lacked in fundamental technical skills. His first touch was extremely poor and his passing was almost as bad. You must have been watching a different player to me first time around

I used to draw similarities between the likes of Darren Mackie, Derek Young, Chris Clark and Rickie Foster. The thing that used to interest me about these guys was that they all lack in the technical department... call it skills, if you like. All are poor passers, all have a poor touch and none of them have the ability to consistently take on and beat a man. However, they all work extremely hard and have a terrific attitude on the pitch - they'll run all day for the team.

Was it just a coincidence that players sharing these there fundamental strengths and weaknesses were emerging from our youth set-up at broadly the same time?

Is it just a coincidence that since our youth set up was overhauled, a different type of player is being produced.... e.g. Fyvie, Pawlett, Paton, Jack... smaller, less physical/athletic, yet more technical players?

Totally agree.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

true, but McNaughton broke through at roughly the same time and hes all about the technique?

certainly not tarring all players with same brush... I just found it interesting that around this period, we were producing quite a few graduate to the first team, who possessed remarkably similarities in terms of general strengths and weaknesses. Might just have been coincidence... or perhaps at that time AFC, or the guys in charge of the youth set at that time, had certain views on the types of players AFC were looking to bring through.

There have often been murmurings that, round about this time, AFC had overlooked a number of local lads, who were maybe technically good, but perhaps weren't a fast, fit or athletic as guys like Clark, Mackie and Foster. For me McNaughton had the full package... he has a fantastic engine, good ability on the ball and a great attitude.

Just a casual observation... might just be coincidence.

I had a season ticket for a couple of years during Clarks first spell and my abiding memory of him was a player who lacked in fundamental technical skills. His first touch was extremely poor and his passing was almost as bad. You must have been watching a different player to me first time around

I used to draw similarities between the likes of Darren Mackie, Derek Young, Chris Clark and Rickie Foster. The thing that used to interest me about these guys was that they all lack in the technical department... call it skills, if you like. All are poor passers, all have a poor touch and none of them have the ability to consistently take on and beat a man. However, they all work extremely hard and have a terrific attitude on the pitch - they'll run all day for the team.

Was it just a coincidence that players sharing these there fundamental strengths and weaknesses were emerging from our youth set-up at broadly the same time?

Is it just a coincidence that since our youth set up was overhauled, a different type of player is being produced.... e.g. Fyvie, Pawlett, Paton, Jack... smaller, less physical/athletic, yet more technical players?

Definitely wouldn't agree with the passing aspect of Chris Clark abilities but I agree with the rest.

Now if it was Scott Muirhead you'd said all the above about I'd have agreed!

Was surprised when I heard the news yesterday (hadn't been online Tuesday night) and can't say I was that happy at first but having thought about it and read through the comments on here I'd say I'm quietly pleased.

I'm sure guys like ollie and dezzy_dan can appreciate where I'm coming through (although might not necessarily agree) when I say Chris Clark is a player who you'd describe as "being able to do a job". He won't win you many games or do much to catch your attention but he's well disciplined and holds his position for the ninety minutes.

I also read on here that Clark never passes to a red shirt. That's an outrageous comment. In an attacking sense he doesn't bring much and as has been said he rarely takes his man on but when he did cut inside he always found a red shirt. It's the defensive side of things Clark coming in improves and after the sh*te we had to endure in that aspect of team performance I'm happy to sit and see how this one plays out.

Cheers for drawing me into a debate that seems to be going round in circles! My opinion, for what it is worth, is pretty similar to yours. While I'm not giddy with excitement at this, I think Clark will "do a job" as you put it. I'm pretty realistic about his limitations, but he will add pace and work rate which are two things that have been severely lacking from our team over the past couple of seasons. He's a worker and you need those sometimes; Dirk Kuyt, Ji-Sung Park and Darren Fletcher have all made successful Premiership careers despite work rate being their best, and most obvious, asset. Clearly there has to be a balance struck between workers and 'ballers. I trust Brown can assemble a squad in that mould as, in our position, maximising the sum of the parts is the best way forward.

Cheers for drawing me into a debate that seems to be going round in circles! My opinion, for what it is worth, is pretty similar to yours. While I'm not giddy with excitement at this, I think Clark will "do a job" as you put it. I'm pretty realistic about his limitations, but he will add pace and work rate which are two things that have been severely lacking from our team over the past couple of seasons. He's a worker and you need those sometimes; Dirk Kuyt, Ji-Sung Park and Darren Fletcher have all made successful Premiership careers despite work rate being their best, and most obvious, asset. Clearly there has to be a balance struck between workers and 'ballers. I trust Brown can assemble a squad in that mould as, in our position, maximising the sum of the parts is the best way forward.

Clark might fit in a la big names in big teams but without attacking players in midfield (which we are seriously lacking) he will struggle. Our midfielders seem to all be predominitely defensive midfielders and we have very little in way of players who will get forward and create for strikers.

Clark might fit in a la big names in big teams but without attacking players in midfield (which we are seriously lacking) he will struggle. Our midfielders seem to all be predominitely defensive midfielders and we have very little in way of players who will get forward and create for strikers.

I'm sure my defense of Clark was qualified by stating the need for "proper" footballers who can create and do the technical side of the game well. Without one another, their flaws will be exposed.

However, the players you mention are underrated in terms of their ability with the ball. Park and Fletcher have good technique to compliment their work rate - fair enough, they're no Paul Scholes, but they certainly aren't found severley lacking in that department. Man United have won European and Domestic trophies, at the very highest level, with these guys playing an integral part. If Park and Fletcher couldn't trap the ball or make a pass, they wouldn't be playing for Manchester United.

I fully understood the initial point Bobo was trying to make. I've played football for various amateurs sides around the UK and in Australia for years now. I actually play a similar water carrier role myself, in defensive midfield, where my primary responsibility is to run around and break up play, as I'm pretty fit and have a good engine! In fact our current manager often jokingly tells me in his prematch talk that I'm banned from taking more than two touches! However, my technical ability is on a par with those in my team and others within my league....

.... moving back to Aberdeen, the likes of Young, Foster, Mackie and Clark.... take away their engine, speed and athleticism and they are bottom 6, if not first division players. I appreciate the need for a balance between your Fletchers and Charlie Adams of the world however, you cannot just have a player who runs around like a headless chicken, or throws themselves around the pitch - you HAVE to marry that with some level of techical ability! Otherwise we'd be just as well signing up Dwain Chambers as centre forward and Mo Farah on the wing!

apart from the 2 gingers, i presume?

Don't see either as attacking midfielders. Fyvie is all action tackler who tries to get forward (normally as put out on wing) and Milsom is more of a ball playerwho can pick out a pass but still don't see as creator - does have a great dig on him though. Pawlett is the only real attacking midfielder we have but after all injury problems seems to have gone right backwards since initial burst onto scene. Again a big season for the lad.

However, the players you mention are underrated in terms of their ability with the ball. Park and Fletcher have good technique to compliment their work rate - fair enough, they're no Paul Scholes, but they certainly aren't found severley lacking in that department. Man United have won European and Domestic trophies, at the very highest level, with these guys playing an integral part. If Park and Fletcher couldn't trap the ball or make a pass, they wouldn't be playing for Manchester United.

Granted I'm talking about players of a much higher level than Clark, but my point was that their work rate is their most obvious or renound feature of their game. You can't put their technical skills in the same bracket as a Giggs, Scholes or Xavi. Therefore, although they have greater ability on the ball than most players, at the highest level they are poor to satisfactory technically. It's all relative. Those guys do enough to justify their work rate as they have better players around them. I'm sure the likes of Milsom, Fyvie & Osbourne will compliment Clark's work rate (or that's what I'm hoping).

.... moving back to Aberdeen, the likes of Young, Foster, Mackie and Clark.... take away their engine, speed and athleticism and they are bottom 6, if not first division players. I appreciate the need for a balance between your Fletchers and Charlie Adams of the world however, you cannot just have a player who runs around like a headless chicken, or throws themselves around the pitch - you HAVE to marry that with some level of techical ability! Otherwise we'd be just as well signing up Dwain Chambers as centre forward and Mo Farah on the wing!

I'm sure my defense of Clark was qualified by stating the need for "proper" footballers who can create and do the technical side of the game well. Without one another, their flaws will be exposed.

Granted I'm talking about players of a much higher level than Clark, but my point was that their work rate is their most obvious or renound feature of their game. You can't put their technical skills in the same bracket as a Giggs, Scholes or Xavi. Therefore, although they have greater ability on the ball than most players, at the highest level they are poor to satisfactory technically. It's all relative. Those guys do enough to justify their work rate as they have better players around them. I'm sure the likes of Milsom, Fyvie & Osbourne will compliment Clark's work rate (or that's what I'm hoping).

Cannot agree with you there. There is no way that Park and Fletcher would have played hundreds of games between them for Manchester United if they were 'poor to satifactory' in terms of technical ability. Nobody who's 'poor to satisfactory' technically at English Premier League level is able to boast a cabinet full of domestic and european honours like those two. I've watched those two boss games in the Champions League. Fletcher in particular has put in some stellar performances - the one that always springs to mind was Inter Milan in the San Siro a couple of seasons ago.

I'm not arguing that by far and away their best qualities are their work rate, but to say they are poor technically, is quite frankly, a load of rubbish. They aren't great - granted.... however, they are good enough to get by.

I'm not arguing that by far and away their best qualities are their work rate, but to say they are poor technically, is quite frankly, a load of rubbish. They aren't great - granted.... however, they are good enough to get by.

Ok, poor was an overstatement but they are satisfactory...or "good enough to get by". I would class Clark on that level for the SPL.

• Site Sponsor

Fxck it, as much as I dont think Clark is a great signing and have been critical I watched his Red TV interview and he came across well, if he plays sh*te I will slate him and vice versa, the slate is clean

Barassie, I think you have hit the nail on the head here.

This is the close season and we are entitled to be as positive or as negative as we like. For the first time ever I am not looking forward to the season. Too many kicks in the gut I guess. Also the first time in 20 years I won't have a season ticket, pay at the gate for me.

However, come kick off in the league everyone's slate is wiped clean and if they do the biz they will be lauded, if they don't then we know what happens. It's fitba and happens at every single club the world over.

Too much touchy feely pish is posted. We all have our favourites and those we like less favourably. If they try and do their best and that isn't good enough then guess who then gets it!!!

SAF always said that fans will forgive mistakes or lack of ability as long as they see a player giving 100% every game.

I've played in games for the army we're we've been technically the lesser side, yet we've strolled to victory because we had more determination/fitness than the other teams.

Ability (e.g. Aluko) only get's you so far. You need a strong mental attitude to win against better sides and you need to be fit. Fitness is the key to success in any sport, marry that with a determined attitude and solid work rate and you'll have a side that will do well, especially in the SPL.

In Clark, Mawene, Milsom & Osbourne it seems CB is putting a determined side together. We're still a couple of players short, but it's looking better.

I wasn't too sure about this at first. In some ways its an uninspiring signing.

However I had a wee scan of what the Plymouth fans were saying about him leaving and while it confirms my impression of Clark as rarely being a stand out kind of player it also seems he made a good reputation for himself there as a grafter, mobile, decent passer and good professional attitude.

If he was half as bad as some people on here go on he wouldn't have lasted at Plymouth or played so many games.

I also noted a few fans commenting he was coming onto a game at the end of the season so no reason to think he's lost the engine.

As long as we are paying a sensible sort of wage this is a decent signing as he's a good addition to the overall squad I believe.

SAF always said that fans will forgive mistakes or lack of ability as long as they see a player giving 100% every game.

I've played in games for the army we're we've been technically the lesser side, yet we've strolled to victory because we had more determination/fitness than the other teams.

Ability (e.g. Aluko) only get's you so far. You need a strong mental attitude to win against better sides and you need to be fit. Fitness is the key to success in any sport, marry that with a determined attitude and solid work rate and you'll have a side that will do well, especially in the SPL.

In Clark, Mawene, Milsom & Osbourne it seems CB is putting a determined side together. We're still a couple of players short, but it's looking better.

This is what annoys me. People have some Clark tinted specs on just now. When Clark was at AFC he was very good at hiding during games. I mean he actually hid behind players so as not to receive the ball. I hope he has improved as a player and i'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he gets some games under his belt. Not impressed with him signing but hes a dons player so i'll support him. I think a 3 year deal was over generous though

Got a feeling Clark will do a bit of a Steve Tosh role for the next few seasons. Work hard in winning the ball for the team and give it to a more technically gifted player in the shape of Fyvie or Milsom.

We've missed that sort of footballer.

Winning the ball, unless I was in acid for most of Jimmy's tenure at Pittodrie I very rarely saw Chris Clark make any sort of ball winning tackle or win it via a 50/50, he harries folk though

Am I the only one reading this thread that would prefer to have the skitters over having AIDS?

Utterly bizarre comment.

And welcome back Chris - I said we'd miss him when we left and I was right.

Good all-rounder with an excellent brain and tactical awareness.

Best performance for me was home against Dnipro - stood out against a very good standard of player.

No Messi, but tidy in posession and always tracked his man.

Am I the only one reading this thread that would prefer to have the skitters over having AIDS?

Utterly bizarre comment.

And welcome back Chris - I said we'd miss him when we left and I was right.

Good all-rounder with an excellent brain and tactical awareness.

Best performance for me was home against Dnipro - stood out against a very good standard of player.

No Messi, but tidy in posession and always tracked his man.

I mostly agree with you here, always liked Clark when he played for us and I think he'll do a decent job next season. Will be interesting to see where Broon plays him, though, in central midfield or more on the wing, which Clark prefers apparently.