Rugby World Cup

Not long until the 2011 Rugby World Cup starts in New Zealand. We've been drawn in Group B with England, Argentina, Romania and Georgia. We thankfully play Romania and Georgia first so that gives us a chance to start the tournament with a couple of wins before facing the big two teams in our group.

I don't think Argentina are as strong as they were back in 2007 when they finished 3rd and it wasn't that long ago we beat them in a test series in Argentina.

I'm starting this thread now as we started our preparations for the tournament with a friendly against Ireland today and won the game 10-6.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was at the match v ieland today. some positives, notably Lamont who had a stormer on the wing, and scrum looked a lot more solid than in the 6 nations. A lot of unforced errors in terms of dropped balls though.

Story of the past few years tbh. We've really got to sort that out before the tournament

• 2 weeks later...

We should be looking to win this group with fingers crossed for the flaky version of France in the quarters.

England are as p1sh as they've been in a long time and our last two games against them have been close. We are not a kick in the arse away from being a good side and I am hopeful that this Scotland side which has had a decent preparation time, with one of the best hands-on coaches in the business, and is almost fully fit may surprise a few people.

We should be looking to win this group with fingers crossed for the flaky version of France in the quarters.

England are as p1sh as they've been in a long time and our last two games against them have been close. We are not a kick in the arse away from being a good side and I am hopeful that this Scotland side which has had a decent preparation time, with one of the best hands-on coaches in the business, and is almost fully fit may surprise a few people.

Do you see anyone other than New Zealand winning it? I don't know much about Rugby, but I watched the bledisoe cup the other day and it was like men against boys.

I know a couple of Kiwis out here and they reckon their major competition will be England.

Can't see past the All Blacks, they are f**king awesome at the moment and are number 1 in the IRB rankings by a country mile. Their reserve side would beat most right now and, in fact, we may well see New Zealand B beat South Africa this weekend.

As for the competition - no one stand out. In rankings order:

#2 Australia - have a great set of backs but not the strength in the forwards to secure enough possession. Also lacking mental strength in the big games. Lost to Scotland last time we played ;)

#3 South Africa - although they are the holders they are in disarray at the moment. Too many senior players are past their sell by date and the coach doesn't seem to know what his best team or system is. Lost to Scotland last time we played ;)

#4 France - as always they are completely unpredictable. The coach has rotated his squad at a level that would even boggle Rafa's mind. Have a knack of winning in NZ

#5 England - possibly the most boring and uninspiring of the big teams. They have some great players in the back 3 but the ball will never get there. Could possibly grind out a result or two. In our Group but we are more than capable of beating them on the day.

#6 Ireland - their golden generation of players is coming to an end and there doesn't seem to be much of a plan B beyond that. Have a knack of beating the Wallabies but their record against the All Blacks is even worse than ours. Lost to Scotland last time out ;)

#7 Wales - no depth in the squad and their players are dropping like flies at the moment, they defend well but are currently playing the Rugby equivalent of rope-a-dope. It's not a strategy that's going to take them far into a World Cup. Could come unstuck v Fiji or Samoa

#8 Argentina - 3rd in the last World Cup but have been steadily sliding since then. Not the force they were and lost both Tests v Scotland last summer. In our Group.

#9 Scotland - Dark Horses :)

#10 Samoa - Improving on the back of being one of the leading lights in Sevens. Beat Australia last month and have every chance of causing Wales an upset. Lost to Scotland at Pittodrie to a last minute penalty from an Aberdonian :)

Should have added that our game v England is going to be vital to our World Cup progress.

Finish second in the group and it's a QF v the All Blacks = game over. Win the group and we'd face France and although they'd be favourites we would have a fighting chance. If we got past that the Semi-Final opponents would likely be a team we've beaten recently.

Lose to England and we go out in the QFs - as we have in 5 out of 6 World Cups so far. Beat them and we have a chance to improve on our 4th place in '91.

I'm assuming you're taking the piss as that's a laughable statement.

Oh I mean it alright, 100%, egg chasing, a joke of a sport.

Played by fairmers used to hurling neeps into big agri-trailers. Massive, awkward, big-boned trosks, clearly they canna cope with a game like football which requires a bit of guile.

So they invent this pish so they dinna feel left out. Unwatchable, elite garbage.

Played by fairmers used to hurling neeps into big agri-trailers. Massive, awkward, big-boned trosks, clearly they canna cope with a game like football which requires a bit of guile.

So they invent this pish so they dinna feel left out. Unwatchable, elite garbage.

Tup, can you please start a new thread about how much you hate rugby and not ruin yet another thread?

Cheers.

Tup, can you please start a new thread about how much you hate rugby and not ruin yet another thread?

Cheers.

No bother, I was just responding to zerotolerance, and in a massive case of schadenfraude, here I am becoming the victim of the mods' zero tolerance.

You couldna make it up.

My feelings exaclty tup !!

facepalm.jpg

Squad announced this morning:

Scotland squad:

Backs: Joe Ansbro (London Irish), Mike Blair (Edinburgh), Chris Cusiter (Glasgow Warriors), Simon Danielli (Ulster), Nick De Luca (Edinburgh), Max Evans (Castres), Ruaridh Jackson (Glasgow Warriors), Rory Lamont (Toulon), Sean Lamont (Scarlets), Rory Lawson (Gloucester), Graeme Morrison (Glasgow Warriors), Dan Parks (Cardiff Blues), Chris Paterson (Edinburgh).

Forwards: John Barclay (Glasgow Warriors), Kelly Brown (Saracens), Geoff Cross (Edinburgh), Alasdair Dickinson (Sale Sharks), Ross Ford (Edinburgh), Richie Gray, Dougie Hall (both Glasgow Warriors), Jim Hamilton (Gloucester), Nathan Hines (Clermont Auvergne), Allan Jacobsen (Edinburgh), Alastair Kellock (captain, Glasgow Warriors), Scott Lawson (Gloucester), Moray Low (Glasgow Warriors), Euan Murray (Newcastle Falcons), Ross Rennie (Edinburgh), Alasdair Strokosch (Gloucester), Richie Vernon (Sale Sharks).

Gutted for Nikki Walker to miss out after getting injured on Saturday after coming on as a sub.

Also disappointed not to see David Denton & Greig Laidlaw getting on the plane. Good news for Edinburgh Rugby though.

ma big brar played rugger at school, was no bad, scottish schools and all that. i played a few times but i didn't want to take it seriously when i heard a boy my age got bum raped with a broomstick, being held by his ankles, off the top of the rugby club, but they did get into some great donnybrooks in towns like kelso and hawick.