Jimmy's Dross

so, if it wasnt for the 3 teams above us being on a good run, we'd have finished 1st 2nd or 3rd?

its a retarded argument - you are judged at end of the season and that season we were 4th best

and you somehow manage to turn us losing 9-0 to celtic, into a negative for jimmy too?

basket case

you didn't highlight anything that i said that wasn't true though, I know that we finished 4th on merit because we had a better goal difference than Utd, i'm not arguing with that but to try and make out that we were anything other than dire from mid January onwards is crazy.

And as for bringing up the 9-0 i was responding to someone elses post, yes we never got beat 9-0 under Calderwood but one of Calderwoods signings played in goal that day and didn't make a single save yet Calderwood claimed he left a good squad behind. How can a good squad include a keeper capable of such a poor performance.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Sponsor

Frankie, he had his moments, that was a superb backs to the wall performance.

I'll always give him credit for coming in and restoring pride and nights like Dnipro

and about 4 others.

But he fucked up far too often when it really mattered.

Sums it up.

He is also still unemployed so most in the game recognise he needs a cheque book to succeed.

his team was a damn sight more capable of winning something than anything immediately before or after him

His team under a differant manager would have won a trophy if not two, he wasnt capable of doing the job.

Skovdahl got us to two cup finals in the same season, a remarkable achievement given our predicament at the time.

• Site Sponsor

Doesnt make a differance what i think,

Most important thing is what goes in the trophy cabinet, nothing since 1995 is a disgrace and every manager we have had has failed us.

To go in the press and start harping on about legacy's when he left us that pile of pish is a joke.

I think your thread has merit as you are responding to something said this week and not two years ago.

I actually wish the man well but he was the answer to our problems for the first two years of his reign, thereafter we were always going to be heading south.

What a fucking shit thread. Who actually gives a fuck. McGhee fucked up his own tenure and it cannot be blamed on waldercood or the so called dross he left. He was the manager an age ago. This is seems like a fishing trip in order to catch MT out and I dare say he would have been told to stop if he had started a thread like this.

• Site Sponsor

so youre admitting now he succeeded?

I always said, always said, that he was exactly what we needed in his first two years.

He succeeded in steadying the ship and restoring some pride, however no-one can argue that he did not start off with significantly more cash than Paterson did.

I'll say one thing for Stevie, he alone knew Mackie was shite. If only he could have kept away from the bookies and the pub.

Most important thing is what goes in the trophy cabinet, nothing since 1995 is a disgrace and every manager we have had has failed us.

To go in the press and start harping on about legacy's when he left us that pile of pish is a joke.

100% correct, and the crux of the post.

As (uncannily) described in the title.

Predictable hogwash from the gallus, gargantuan gobshite.

Takes away from the good he did do for us when taking over.

I'd rather have Ebbe than Jimmy, Ebbe brought through a fair number of good players and was given no money at all, but was at least entertaining at times.

Jimmy did well when he was given money, the money ran out and we turned mince, just struggled to pull together some ok results through very negative tactics.

just struggled to pull together some ok results through very negative tactics.

Hang on a minute min, don't you know that Jimmy always employed a 0-0-10 formation, Chick Young said this a lot on Sportsound, and we all know the quality of his investigative journalism so I'm sure the cliche ridden joke of a bald little hun bastard broadcaster is bang on the money as ever with his jovial pish that has no basis in reality, OK min?

his team was a damn sight more capable of winning something than anything immediately before or after him

Perhaps you can expand on the squad that was left to the next manager obviously not including those who were leaving?

I'd rather have Ebbe than Jimmy, Ebbe brought through a fair number of good players and was given no money at all, but was at least entertaining at times.

Jimmy did well when he was given money, the money ran out and we turned mince, just struggled to pull together some ok results through very negative tactics.

Ebbe was given shit load of cash to spend on fees and wages, bit like Calderwood. The managers inbetween picked up dregs and had next to no money to build a squad with. Remains to be seen if Brown is being backed financially.

• Site Sponsor

Ebbe got money

I think it's sad that topics about Calderwood are continually started AND dragged out beyond their relevance, primarily for the benefit of one bitter Weegie who calls himself an AFC "fan". Few of us, least of all me, deny that he steadied the ship in his first 2 years and for that, he should always be deserving of our thanks. The 3rd place finish in his 3rd season however, is up for debate. Yes, it was on paper a good finish, but lest we forget, we were 2nd for a time, when Rangers were there for the taking (the gap was 7pts in the end and so had we won that game against the Hun at Pittodrie, the gap would've been ONE POINT away from Champions League football). His dismissive attitude ("I'm not even thinking about the CL" etc. etc.) when we were in the driving seat raised questions about his ability to go from plucky underdog/safe pair of hands, to actually being a winner... Those questions were confirmed as truth later on, in key games like the 4-1 hammering from Dundee Utd. and the 3 Cup exits in 3yrs to lower league sides.

Put simply, he demonstrated there and then that he didn't have what it takes to see the job out, which was to re-establish us as the 3rd biggest and best club in the country. He reached his limits after 3 years and overstayed his welcome by at least one whole season (if Falkirk hadn't squandered chances, they'd have buried us in his 4th season, consigning us to BOTTOM 6 football that season) and despite the utter failure of the McGhee era and (thus far) disappointing results under Brown, pulling the plug on Calderwood after 5yrs was the RIGHT decision. Get over it, Millertime. He had his time and is thanked up to a point, but he is gone and rightly so. Deal with it.

I think it's sad that topics about Calderwood are continually started AND dragged out beyond their relevance, primarily for the benefit of one bitter Weegie who calls himself an AFC "fan". Few of us, least of all me, deny that he steadied the ship in his first 2 years and for that, he should always be deserving of our thanks. The 3rd place finish in his 3rd season however, is up for debate. Yes, it was on paper a good finish, but lest we forget, we were 2nd for a time, when Rangers were there for the taking (the gap was 7pts in the end and so had we won that game against the Hun at Pittodrie, the gap would've been ONE POINT away from Champions League football). His dismissive attitude ("I'm not even thinking about the CL" etc. etc.) when we were in the driving seat raised questions about his ability to go from plucky underdog/safe pair of hands, to actually being a winner... Those questions were confirmed as truth later on, in key games like the 4-1 hammering from Dundee Utd. and the 3 Cup exits in 3yrs to lower league sides.

Put simply, he demonstrated there and then that he didn't have what it takes to see the job out, which was to re-establish us as the 3rd biggest and best club in the country. He reached his limits after 3 years and overstayed his welcome by at least one whole season (if Falkirk hadn't squandered chances, they'd have buried us in his 4th season, consigning us to BOTTOM 6 football that season) and despite the utter failure of the McGhee era and (thus far) disappointing results under Brown, pulling the plug on Calderwood after 5yrs was the RIGHT decision. Get over it, Millertime. He had his time and is thanked up to a point, but he is gone and rightly so. Deal with it.

This post perfectly sums up the whole "debate" about Calderwood . Steading us and deserves credit for that . Last 2 season we were going downhill and he had to go . Sums it up . Next ..

players who didnt want to stay when Jimmy was leaving?

no, i dont think i want to - its pointless

Which players would that be? Since Jimmy only binned at end of season. I can easily help you out with what players were left in this "legacy" if you want? Suspect you wont post them yourself and also suspect you don't really want them posted at all since what was left was pretty poor in end.

It's all about results and league position.

Say what you like about JC but he kept us at the right end of the table. We can't possibly have a go saying he had more cash either because we've arguably got more cash than all the other teams bar Hearts, Gers n Tic.

Aitken, A Miller & Ebbe ect had good players as well and failed miserably. JC stabilised us and made us hard to beat. Since then we've became cannon fodder and that's not coincidence because were were shite before JC arrived as well.