International Breaks

These days, the league gets underway, then there's a break for internationals, and a few weeks later, yet another. Many years ago, when I first started following the Dons, we had a home game one week, away the next and some reserve games as an option. Nowadays the habit doesn't get established so well, as the regular pattern keeps getting disturbed.

Some might say its a form of progress, but I can't help feeling that it's all adding to the decline in attendances. If it's intended to improve the national team's performance, I fail to see how it has achieved that.

These days, the league gets underway, then there's a break for internationals, and a few weeks later, yet another. Many years ago, when I first started following the Dons, we had a home game one week, away the next and some reserve games as an option. Nowadays the habit doesn't get established so well, as the regular pattern keeps getting disturbed.

Some might say its a form of progress, but I can't help feeling that it's all adding to the decline in attendances. If it's intended to improve the national team's performance, I fail to see how it has achieved that.

After this weekend, I don't think there is another break for Internationals, but sure enough is another few weeks we will have another game postponed due to the weather. laughing.gif

If I was really in to Scotland, I'd be worried about Wales, turning in to a decent side now.

Agreed - Could finish anywhere in the group. If play to top form then could win group but play like we did in the group just finished we could easily finish bottom.

Although seems England have the European Championships next summer sewn up as at the moment they are beating half hearted Spanish side in a friendly!!

Agreed - Could finish anywhere in the group. If play to top form then could win group but play like we did in the group just finished we could easily finish bottom.

Although seems England have the European Championships next summer sewn up as at the moment they are beating half hearted Spanish side in a friendly!!

not that worried about Wales yet. peaking right now and playing decent stuff but the first competitive game for us and them is almost a year away.

I'm quietly confident about Scotland in this next group.

not that worried about Wales yet. peaking right now and playing decent stuff but the first competitive game for us and them is almost a year away.

I'm quietly confident about Scotland in this next group.

How can you suggest that they are peaking right now ?

They have a relative new manager in charge, the nucleus of a good squad, play attractive football, team spirit seems strong and the future looks good for them.

As for Scotland, Things are not that bad, If you look back to the start of 2010, played 17, lost 6, and 3 of them were to Spain twice and Brazil, But obvious improvements are needed, notably with the manager getting some continuity within the starting 11, with a more positive approach to away games.

It's funny, but i'm pretty sure there has always been international fitba, and there's always been qualifiers for them, not just the finals themselves in the off-season, so nae sure where your point is coming from?

It's funny, but i'm pretty sure there has always been international fitba, and there's always been qualifiers for them, not just the finals themselves in the off-season, so nae sure where your point is coming from?

Was it not mostly Midweek they played them? Far I can remember they have been weekends? :dontknow:

Was it not mostly Midweek they played them? Far I can remember they have been weekends? :dontknow:

At the end of the season, after the cup finals, there used to always be a week for the home Internationals from one Saturday to the next with one midweek match. One year the England match would be at Hampden, next at Wembley, always on the last Saturday from what I remember.

It was like an institution in those days, you just took it for granted. I think the English FA wanted to stop them because we broke the goalposts at Wembley in 1977 after we beat them 2-1.

I'd be up for Scotland England for sure, get wired right into them, life or death stuff, beating England is the best feeling in international football.

They're scared of us which is why they chickened out, their faint arses collapsed at the thought of a battle with us, bunch of gaylords that they are.

I'd be up for Scotland England for sure, get wired right into them, life or death stuff, beating England is the best feeling in international football.

They're scared of us which is why they chickened out, their faint arses collapsed at the thought of a battle with us, bunch of gaylords that they are.

correct

Aye, there's always been qualifiers for them (well since qualifiers were deemed necessary), but they were never at the weekend, which is the crux of this post. There were nae breaks during normal fitba season.

Canna mind fan this started. In the nineties perhaps? Mid nineties?

Al the qualifying matches for Euro & WC were played in midweek til then.

would be good like.

friendlies to me are meaningless, no matter who they are against.

would be good to amke some sort of competitive element to it.

they should have resurected it for the right to represent britian next year.

that would be good, an all scotland team at the olympics.

How can you suggest that they are peaking right now ?

They have a relative new manager in charge, the nucleus of a good squad, play attractive football, team spirit seems strong and the future looks good for them.

As for Scotland, Things are not that bad, If you look back to the start of 2010, played 17, lost 6, and 3 of them were to Spain twice and Brazil, But obvious improvements are needed, notably with the manager getting some continuity within the starting 11, with a more positive approach to away games.

their own manager said as much on Saturday