Margaret Thatcher

a1-don

Wasnt it far cheaper to buy coal from abroad than to mine it here?

There weren't any power cuts during the miner's strike in the 80s.... if anyone remembers power cuts it was from the previous strike of a decade earlier.

As for cheaper coal, the point I'm making isn't about cost efficiency, it's about WHERE the cuts were being made, which relates to my broader point that Thatcher sacrificed those not in her base in order to consolidate power in the south.

There weren't any power cuts during the miner's strike in the 80s.... if anyone remembers power cuts it was from the previous strike of a decade earlier.

As for cheaper coal, the point I'm making isn't about cost efficiency, it's about WHERE the cuts were being made, which relates to my broader point that Thatcher sacrificed those not in her base in order to consolidate power in the south.

Try telling that to the Kent miners.

I was born in '74.

I vividly remember power cuts in Cornhill, in the early - mid 80's.

I recall no power cuts at all in the 80s, but certainly remember them as a little kid in the 70s.

Maybe the generator in Cornhill was just needing replaced? ;)

Funnily enough, my old dear worked there for a while in the 80s... about the time of Thatcher's "Care in the Community" abortion... another of her attacks on caring for those who couldn't care for themselves.

She really was an evil old cunt.

i was born in '78 so unless I'm a time traveller there were power cuts a plenty in the 80's

I was born in '74.

I vividly remember power cuts in Cornhill, in the early - mid 80's.

Correct

I recall no power cuts at all in the 80s, but certainly remember them as a little kid in the 70s.

Maybe the generator in Cornhill was just needing replaced? ;)

Oh well then.

You're right and we're wrong.

Same year as me. Most power cuts were early 80s in my memory.

Correct.

You can't be right all the time kelt.

As much as you think you are.

i was born in '78 so unless I'm a time traveller there were power cuts a plenty in the 80's

Correct

Oh well then.

You're right and we're wrong.

Correct.

You can't be right all the time kelt.

As much as you think you are.

Aw.... now don't feel too disheartened. Your little green fella is showing :)

Anyway, anecdotal evidence is awesome, but worthless, I'm asking for an as yet unposted link, that's all.

I DO recall the power cuts in the 70s, just not in the 80s.

If someone can demonstrate that there were power cuts in Aberdeen in the 80s then I'm fine with that... much as you'd like to think I wouldn't be :)

Aw.... now don't feel too disheartened. Your little green fella is showing :)

Anyway, anecdotal evidence is awesome, but worthless, I'm asking for an as yet unposted link, that's all.

I DO recall the power cuts in the 70s, just not in the 80s.

If someone can demonstrate that there were power cuts in Aberdeen in the 80s then I'm fine with that... much as you'd like to think I wouldn't be :)

No idea what pish you're coming out with now.

Stick to making your funny video's.

The word of 3 different people remembering powercuts in the 80's isn't enough for you?

No idea what pish you're coming out with now.

Don't blame yourself.. I don't. Though paying a little more attention in school might have helped?

Stick to making your funny video's.

Will do :thumbs:

I'm working on a Christmas one that I think you'll find particularly amusing.

The word of 3 different people remembering powercuts in the 80's isn't enough for you?

A billion Muslims will tell me there is only one God and Mohammed is his prophet, and I don't believe them.

So, no, anecdotes from three people on a message board isn't exactly persuasive.

I mean, that might be all someone like you might need, but I'm not quite as credulous as your sort :)

That's not meant as a criticism, just an observation.

I see living in America has gotten to you.

Well, thank you very much for saying so.

You're a patronising twat aren't you.

I think you meant 'condescending', not patronising... I'm a condescending twat : )

Yes, you meant condescending.

Still, it was a sterling effort, and you very nearly got it right, so.. big tick to you for that :thumbs:

Okay, that last part was patronising ;)

Condescending, patronising.

Doesn't matter.

I think the Oxford English Dictionary would take issue with that.

You're still a twat.

Given your track record, can we be sure you mean twat?

Twat, Awesome... same thing :)

And yes there were power cuts in the 80's :swear:

1694.jpg

But the miners strike of 84 didn't cause anywhere near the same kind of distruption to power that the strikes of 72 and 74 did. The inability to distrupt the country in this way was what gave the government the breathing room to crush the NUM. A pretty big thing was made during the strike that the only people who were doign without electricity were the miners, because they couldn't pay their bills. As mentioned before, there were two main reasons the strike was less distruptive. The main one was the stockpiling of coal at power stations which took place in the years leading up to the strike, and the second was the phasing out of coal for heating and cooking in the mid to late 70's. The country was just far less reliant on coal by the mid 80's.

There were power cuts in the 80's of course, often caused by industrial action. Theres the winter of discontent of 78/79 too which brought massive distruption. The miners strike of 84 just didn't have the same impact.

Wasnt it far cheaper to buy coal from abroad than to mine it here?

Probably, if all you are looking at is the cost per kg of coal.

But its a simplistic and very short sighted view. The overall cost to the country of the strikes themselves, and the massive welfare burden after the mines were closed would have eaten up any few pennies in the kg saved on the base price of coal. You also have to take into account that money spent on importing coal is lost to the economy almost entirely, money invested in UK coal would have spiralled into other fields - railways, power generation and other coal reliant industries.

Theres a very good argument that we will only see the real costs of this over the next 10/20 years, as we become more reliant on the import of foreign gas and oil. An investment in the 80s in clean burning coal power stations, and efficiency improvements in UK mining would have seen the country in a much stronger position energy wise, and not have us relying on a twitchy Russia to keep the lights on. Prices would also be far less impacted by developments in foreign markets.

The miners strike was never about geography, or coal mining itself. It was entirely ideological. It was the first opportunity a Tory government had to implement the Ridley plan and they did it ruthlessly. It could have been any of the big unions, it just so happened to be the miners. The worst part is that every single action the government took had been known about since the plan was first leaked in 1978. The NUM just did nothing to change their own tactics to counteract it. For this reason alone the leaders of the NUM during the 84/85 strike can never be looked upon as heroes. The failure to improve the tactics used in 72 and 74 and to implement countermeasures to the Ridley plan was criminal. They badly let down their members.

• 4 weeks later...

After the utter contempt with which she treated most of the country north of Watford, I think it's disgusting that this repulsive sack of human excrement is being given a state funeral when it finally "kicks the bucket". No doubt her bastard child David Ca-moron will be in the front row.

But, there is an interesting petition here, to have it privatised. I say let her supporters practice what they preached and privatise the whole event. Then we can all let her rot in hell. Cow.

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/18914

The very fact that people who weren't even born when she came to power still talk about today her says it all really. She will be remembered as a great PM. She made a difference and stood up for her beliefs.

Its easy to hate thatcher if you have never had to live through contunual strikes, a three-day working week, unburied bodies on the streets etc etc.

I was born in 76 so i remember the poll tax marches. I think the poll tax experiment is the main reason most of the scots hate her which is strange because it was actually a fairer tax than the current council tax when you look back. She just went about it the wrong way. :laughing:

Under thatcher Aberdeen boomed. My mum went from working in the fish to getting a degree, getting a good job and buying her council house in Tilly under thatcher so i cant really complain.

She took on the unions and beat them. The unions needed to be brought to heel because they'd brought the country to its knees by strikes for decades. It paved the way for a booming economy.

She also crushed the Argies in the Falklands where the next UK Oil Boom will take place/

Did she make mistakes? Yes she did but it doesn't take away the fact she put the UK back on track.

I'm no thatcher lover. I'm not aligned to any political party. I've voted Labour, SNP and Tory but credit where credits due. If any recent PM deserves a state funeral its Thatcher.

The very fact that people who weren't even born when she came to power still talk about today her says it all really. She will be remembered as a great PM. She made a difference and stood up for her beliefs.

Its easy to hate thatcher if you have never had to live through contunual strikes, a three-day working week, unburied bodies on the streets etc etc.

I was born in 76 so i remember the poll tax marches. I think the poll tax experiment is the main reason most of the scots hate her which is strange because it was actually a fairer tax than the current council tax when you look back. She just went about it the wrong way. :laughing:

Under thatcher Aberdeen boomed. My mum went from working in the fish to getting a degree, getting a good job and buying her council house in Tilly under thatcher so i cant really complain.

She took on the unions and beat them. The unions needed to be brought to heel because they'd brought the country to its knees by strikes for decades. It paved the way for a booming economy.

She also crushed the Argies in the Falklands where the next UK Oil Boom will take place/

Did she make mistakes? Yes she did but it doesn't take away the fact she put the UK back on track.

I'm no thatcher lover. I'm not aligned to any political party. I've voted Labour, SNP and Tory but credit where credits due. If any recent PM deserves a state funeral its Thatcher.

Good post applause.gif

After the utter contempt with which she treated most of the country north of Watford, I think it's disgusting that this repulsive sack of human excrement is being given a state funeral when it finally "kicks the bucket". No doubt her bastard child David Ca-moron will be in the front row.

But, there is an interesting petition here, to have it privatised. I say let her supporters practice what they preached and privatise the whole event. Then we can all let her rot in hell. Cow.

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/18914

Ironic because under Thatcher public spending only fell in two years in real terms during the entire period she was in power.