Gary Speed Dead

No I definitely won't, but I've never heard this spoken about before, and it's not uncommon for footballers to come out and admit problems and get help with them.

I'm sure Craig Johnston who played at Liverpool had something like depression, he admitted it, and was helped, and nobody looked down on him for it.

I have no idea why Speed never did this. He was a respected figure in football, as we have seen, and he would have been helped.

What he did leads to the inevitable conclusion that there is much more to it than meets the eye at the present time.

It will all come out in the wash for sure.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

until we know the facts, no point speculating, im sure the red tops will do enough of that for all of us.

Agreed.

So we should really be asympathetic until we know the facts.

Honestly, I heard a wifie on the radio this morning who had gone to Wales to lay flowers, said she had never met Speed, and was bawling her eyes out live on air.

For someone you have never met?

What kind of pickle would she be in if it was a close relative?

She probably wouldna be bothered.

Awful lot of honkies on here...

Im not going to pass judgement on Gary Speed or his actions, because that's not for me to do. I would however like to say a few words regarding some peoples assertion that suicide is an irrational act, or that someone who commits suicide cannot have been thinking rationally in the moments leading up to their death.

Following any system of logic, statements decreeing that suicide is an irrational act are themselves, by definition, irrational. If someone is in an intense state of emotional or physical pain then the natural way is to seek a course of action which will remedy that. If they decide, exercising reason and weighing up all the pros and cons, that they wish to end their pain and suffering permanently, by taking their own life

That's because suicide is an inherently subjective concept.

You'd have been best just saying that and end of.

While I agree with your view points in some respects, I find it bizarre that you start off with awful lot of honkies and then say it is a subjective matter.

I recently had a long discussion with a couple of my mates on when it becomes acceptable to kill someone else. Again, a very subjective matter, and we had highly varying views on it. Same will apply to a person's decision to try and commit suicide.

have you been readin this fuckin thread ata min?? we dina kane the reason he took his life so until you kane that then you cana or shudna come oot we such fuckin ludicrous comments. ie if it was depression then, like has been said many times, its basically impossible for these people to think rationally, about family etc, when deciding to take their life. to them its just a way of gettin rid of the dark negative feelings so t speak.

cana believe the amount o shit bein typed on here when naebdy kanes the reason behind his suicide.

Well I did. It's just my opinion.

Suicide is something I can't and never will be able to comprehend. He's damaged a family for life because every day they will question whether or not it was their fault. That is a horrible thing for your loved ones to go through.

Depression is an awful thing but even if he did suffer from it to that extent as people seem to have assumed then he should have seeked help.

Anyway, it's a touchy subject and not worth getting into a petty argument on over the internet. Thoughts are with his family.

When someone commits suicide, it can actually be quite a quietly planned thing. Sometimes people have just had enough and want out and set about it in a calm manner. You can judge all you like, but it's that person's life to take. Its not nice kids being left behind however. Not nice at all.

Its not surprising that people want to know why Speed did it though, I do myself.

The mind boggles.

It could be any number of reasons, from gambling debts to auto-erotic asphyxiation, that's why we just need to show our condolences and hope the media don't air his dirty laundry in public.

If however, he was found by his wife with a 9 inch annihilator dildo up his rectum and purposely starving himself of oxygen then I hope the media don't get their filthy hands on it!

I remember hearing a story about someone who did end up killing themselves, that in the few weeks before they did it, they were the cheeriest they'd been for months.

The reason - they'd made their mind up and it was all planned.

I was talking to my girlfriend about Gary Speed earlier and I mentioned how odd I found it that he seemed so relaxed, cheery and chatty on Football Focus just hours before killing himself, and she mentioned exactly this. By taking the decision to commit suicide, people who suffer for however long with their mental demons are suddenly freed from it and they outwardly seem perfectly fine. Who knows if that was the case with Speed, but it makes sense, in a completely warped way.

When someone commits suicide, it can actually be quite a quietly planned thing. Sometimes people have just had enough and want out and set about it in a calm manner. You can judge all you like, but it's that person's life to take. Its not nice kids being left behind however. Not nice at all.

Its not surprising that people want to know why Speed did it though, I do myself.

A friend of mine killed himself nearly 20 years back. He didn't like his job, so eh said get a new one. He said it wasn't as simple as that, which eh couldn't understand. This went on for a long time, and on one particular Saturday we went for a few pints, chatted a bit and he was completely "normal". But, looking back, he did two things that were out of character. This was the same week Kurt Cobain had topped himself, and eh said "what a cunt, wi a kid as well", and he argued that maybe he saw no way out. This was out of character. He then drove me home at breakneck speeds, this was out of character too. At the time, eh reacted tae the driving, but not the Kurt Cobain comment.

Apparently, the next evening he went out for a couple of frames of snooker wi his old boy, and was his usual self.

Then Monday morning he was found in his car by a quarry, having gassed himself.

This was pre-planned, no two ways about it, and eh was a small part of the closing act.

His Dad had a heart-attack no long after, and was in ill-health for years. His mother was never the same again. Two lovely people whose lives were ruined. The woman who found him was in the papers years later talking about still suffering from the trauma.

Yes looking back, he was depressed, but eh can't and will never forgive him for what he did to those people.

BOOM!

:spanner:

You really have to wonder whats going through someones head as they are on the verge of doing something like this. Thankfully i've never felt so low that i've thought about it, but it's pretty scary imagining what that must feel like.

Sympathy for both him and his family, I can only imagine the horror of finding what she found and also having to explain to the kids that they won't see their father again. :(

Aye but scratch below the surface at the, to the casual observor, idyllic lifestyle and there must have been big, big problems at home for this to happen.

You don't just do this on a whim, there must have been a major build up, and multiple issues.

No, I don't imagine you would do it on a whim. I'm just wondering what kinda thoughts would go through your head at that final moment where you've came to the conclusion that "this is it". There is always a build up, sometimes it's visible, other times it boils down deep inside the subconscious until one day it just surfaces and you snap. A bit like rage in a way.

Tup, you will be fine though. I don't see you being someone to bottle anything up (rage wise!). It's good to vent, and I suppose it's the same with depression / stress where getting it out in the open can help, in most cases.

Tup, you will be fine though. I don't see you being someone to bottle anything up (rage wise!). It's good to vent, and I suppose it's the same with depression / stress where getting it out in the open can help, in most cases.

We all get stressed, some handle it, others don't.

I think it's all ego-based with footballers. You have had years of folk worshipping you, you're portrayed and expected to act as a hero.

In reality you're the same as every other cunt, you just happen to have your talent in your feet, and get elevated on to a false pedestal because of that.

It's societal. We give people status unbefitting of their achievements. Let's be honest, being a professional footballer or coach is not worthy of the adulation they receive.

All they are doing is a job. But they become the hero they keep getting told they are.

If something drastic happens in your private life that may shatter this hero status and knock you right off the pedestal you were on, chances are you will find that difficult to handle.

I'm not getting into too much speculation but I reckon that's what happened here, something dark that may now remain unspoken for eternity, and perhaps rightly so.