If You Could Change 1 Minute

For those too young to appreciate 1991 I'd second this.

I don't think we've ever recovered from that day, never looked at the Dons in the same way since.

Correct.

That was the day that fucked AFC.

I went down on a bus from the Spiders Web in Aberdeen (I think Wullfo organised that for me :thumbs: )

Heartbreaking stuff.

However as it's change a minute and not a day then the minute that Van de Ven missed that chance in the first half is the minute I'd change. :ThumbsDown:

I cannot bring myself to watch that game.

However I take some satisfaction in the fact that although we blew it I'd rather lose the league like that every season than actually be a hun.

May their kids be born with no legs. :crossfingers:

Peter Van De Ven missing a chance at 0-0 at Ibrox in 1991. I think it was him anyway if I remember?

Aye. It was.

I had a particularly close up view o' that een...being that the only place I could get a ticket for that game was the West Enclosure terracing at Ibrox.

The part of the ground where the most rabid and bigoted knuckle draggers happened to base themselves at that time.

Clean through on their keeper, he tried a funcy chip which he made a complete erse o', and the ba' went straight into the keepers hand, at comfortable midriff height.

Shoulda just drilled the ba' low past him either side.

Maybe just as well he never scored. I would probably have struggled to get out of that cesspit alive.

I think any Dons fan in their right mind would change that day. This was the turning point in AFC history which things started going bad.

As a club we have never recovered from this day.

I remember vividly. I was 17 and played for Hilton at Inverdee that day. We stopped on the prom on the way back to BoD, or wherever the fuck we were going, to listen on the car tranny, and I openly cried.

My moment is when Chris Anderson passed. I would have frozen him in carbonite and thawed him out after Qots.

The last minute at Pittodrie when 2-1 up at home to St Johnstone in 1991 and final whistle goes. News comes through that Motherwell had just scored a third goal against Rangers meaning we went top of the league going into last game of season. Honestly believe that minute in another game was start of the demise of AFC.

Bit later on the demise of AFC was accelerated as Milne became chairman.

Aye. It was.

I had a particularly close up view o' that een...being that the only place I could get a ticket for that game was the West Enclosure terracing at Ibrox.

The part of the ground where the most rabid and bigoted knuckle draggers happened to base themselves at that time.

Clean through on their keeper, he tried a funcy chip which he made a complete erse o', and the ba' went straight into the keepers hand, at comfortable midriff height.

Maybe just as well he never scored. I would probably have struggled to get out of that cesspit alive.

If van de Ven had bothered looking to his left, Hans Gillhaus was waiting for a tap-in. 0-0 at the time too. So that's what I would change; useless Dutchman squares the ball to genius Dutchman, who strokes into an empty net from 15 yards, Mordor erupts in a whistle of boos as the orcs start to get on top of their own team, our young side starts to grow in confidence, we take a 1-0 lead in at HT and 45 minutes later are crowned undisputed Scottish, European and World Champions.

Our league win kills the Rangers 9-in-a-row (1991 was number three for them), and puts the Dons into the first season of the Champions League, bringing previously unthinkable revenues into the Pittodrie coffers and boosting us from Scottish football's second force (remember this is pre-Fergus McCann Celtic, they were nothing at the time) into a perennial force. Even after Fergus's Green Revolution at Darkheid, we are still always in the running, genuinely feared by the Glasgow clubs and an undisputed Scottish footballing power in our own right. The term 'Old Firm' is now used only to denote the fixture itself, as it has no broader application with the Dons as much a part of Scotland's footballing hierarchy as Glasgow's evil twins.

... [sigh] all of what I have written above was perfectly achievable, had van de Ven looked to his left. And that is the moment, the exact moment, when our decline into terminal shiteness began.

:cry:

If van de Ven had bothered looking to his left, Hans Gillhaus was waiting for a tap-in. 0-0 at the time too. So that's what I would change; useless Dutchman squares the ball to genius Dutchman, who strokes into an empty net from 15 yards, Mordor erupts in a whistle of boos as the orcs start to get on top of their own team, our young side starts to grow in confidence, we take a 1-0 lead in at HT and 45 minutes later are crowned undisputed Scottish, European and World Champions.

Our league win kills the Rangers 9-in-a-row (1991 was number three for them), and puts the Dons into the first season of the Champions League, bringing previously unthinkable revenues into the Pittodrie coffers and boosting us from Scottish football's second force (remember this is pre-Fergus McCann Celtic, they were nothing at the time) into a perennial force. Even after Fergus's Green Revolution at Darkheid, we are still always in the running, genuinely feared by the Glasgow clubs and an undisputed Scottish footballing power in our own right. The term 'Old Firm' is now used only to denote the fixture itself, as it has no broader application with the Dons as much a part of Scotland's footballing hierarchy as Glasgow's evil twins.

... [sigh] all of what I have written above was perfectly achievable, had van de Ven looked to his left. And that is the moment, the exact moment, when our decline into terminal shiteness began.

:cry:

Depressing stuff.

• Site Sponsor

When Fergie took charge of the team for the 86 World Cup I'd have put the full Aberdeen line up in the Scotland squad, and played as the Dons in Mexico.

Saved Jock Stein's life in Cardiff and then have Fergie there as his assistant with the 1985/86 Premier League title in his hipper. Would have saved a lot of tears down Gorgie way as well.

Guest milne_afc

Aye. It was.

You wouldn't have been alone, reds all over the dump that day.

I'd have left Gillhaus and Bett aff the bus to St Johnstone.