Best Places To Live In Scotland

NorthernLights24

Orkney has held on to the title of Britain’s best rural place to live for the second year running.

The latest Halifax Rural Areas Quality of Life Survey has revealed that Orkney beat Rutland in the East Midlands, Wychavon in the West Midlands and Winchester and Waverly to be crowned the top rural area to live in.
The study takes into account factors like employment and education as well as social and environmental factors when deciding which area has the best quality of life.
Orkney got the top scores for employment rate, at 87 per cent, and average spend per pupil on education, at £9,662, and was also in the top three places for low anxiety levels, crime rate and primary class size. The area also consistently scores high in life satisfaction and happiness.

:trophy:

How on earth could Orkney be better to live in than other equally (or more) picturesque place in the UK which actually have modern amenities and infrastructure in addition to the scenery?

And that’s completely ignoring any urban areas

Load of bollox

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How on earth could Orkney be better to live in than other equally (or more) picturesque place in the UK which actually have modern amenities and infrastructure in addition to the scenery?

And thats completely ignoring any urban areas

Load of bollox

'Best rural place to live'.

• Upvote 1

And thats completely ignoring any urban areas

Load of bollox

I'm more a city dweller than a country boy but some folk simply don't give a fuck about amenities and place a greater value on fresh air, peace, quiet, countryside, than they do on bars, restaurants, nightlife, things to do.

Everyone is different, Bluts.

I've always fancied moving to the Shetlands. Know a few birds from there and they are all tidy and nice people. Reckon it'd be a good place to bring up a sprog.

Great place. Folk are sound. Fucking wild weather though. Until recently there was only one darkie on the island.

I'm more a city dweller than a country boy but some folk simply don't give a fuck about amenities and place a greater value on fresh air, peace, quiet, countryside, than they do on bars, restaurants, nightlife, things to do.

Everyone is different, Bluts.

Completely misunderstood my point.

Dunce

Point I’m making is that there ARE happy mediums. Which are surely better than remote hell holes like the islands

• Upvote 1

There's fuck all to do in these redneck backwaters hence the low stress levels .

Fuck staying in a place where the weather is shite and your best mate is a plant pot.

Not sure if I agree with low stress levels, I've seen some young fucked hearts from the islands cos all they do is drink

And that’s completely ignoring any urban areas

Load of bollox

Bristol is unlikely to ever win best place to live in Scotland.

eh dinna ken wit orkneys like noo but many year ago when the fishin boats yist tae pill up tae harbor the fishwives yist tae stand waitin oan shore wi nae scants, thid pair up wi the fishermen n go intae the bushes fir a shag. dirty auld hags yist tae track boats roond the coast, aboot 40 eh thim eh thim jist waitin aboot fir a boat load eh fishermen tae fill thir sin slots

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Dundee has been named Scotland’s best place to live after undergoing a “dramatic transformation”.

The city has welcomed the arrival of the V&A Museum in a rejuvenated waterfront, helping it claim the accolade in The Sunday Times Best Places to Live guide.

The announcement comes ahead of the overall winner of the UK-wide list being revealed this Sunday.

Dundee is the highest ranking place in Scotland, and it and North Berwick are the only two locations north of the border to return to the list.

Helen Davies, The Sunday Times Home editor, said: “Finding our very own best place to live now feels more important than ever, for our wellbeing and wealth, happiness and health.

“Wherever you are on the property ladder, The Sunday Times has championed 101 locations across the UK, and crowned one lucky winner, that we think is a great place to make a home.

“This year we were looking for community spirit along with convenience and culture. There is so much going on around the country, and so many great places that the choice was a hard one.”

Dundee was also praised for offering a good chance of spotting wildlife in the River Tay, having good schools and a highly-ranked university, and only being an hour’s train ride from Edinburgh.

Stewart Hosie, MP for Dundee East, said: “Dundee has been Scotland’s best kept secret for years but I am glad that the city is finally receiving the recognition it deserves.

“I hope that this well-deserved accolade will encourage more folk to come to Dundee and will inspire businesses to set up shop and invest here. This is only the beginning of a very bright future for Sunny Dundee.”

The capital itself has two locations on the list: Leith, recognised for its creativity and culinary scene, and Stockbridge.

Last year’s Scottish winner Melrose is missing entirely from this year’s list, with its place taken by Borders neighbour St Boswells.

Mull, the only island on the list, is described as “the perfect Goldilocks option: not too remote, not too busy, and perfectly Scottish” with its beaches and Ben More.

Glasgow’s trendy Finnieston area, Killearn, Kilmacolm and Port Appin make up the 10 Scottish places featuring on the full list.

The list will appear at thesundaytimes.co.uk/bestplacestolive on Sunday.