Alex Mcleish

To be replaced by Paul Lambert, so they say.

Lambert sounded like he was preparing himself to walk away from Norwich during his post match interview yesterday.

As I recall, he was handed the Norwich job after his Colchester side skelped Norwich 7-1 in League one fixture. Looks the same thing might be happening again...

Lambert cannot possibly do any better, strike while the iron is hot.

I wouldna go to Villa though, they're pish.

If I were him I'd avoid Villa too! Their fans are morons, they were moaning about Martin O'Neill when he had them challenging for a European place.... talk about unrealistic expectations!

He'd turn them down again... :laughing:

Villa remind me of Aberdeen, shite underachievers playing boring as fuck football.

Aye no way Villa would embarrass themselves by allowing Martinez the opportunity to turn them down again!

I'll be interested to see how Martinez gets on when he moves from Wigan. For the last two seasons, Wigan have been utterly turd for about 80% of the season... only to completely transform themselves down the final stretch.

Would be interesting to see how Martinez would deal with the pressure of a similarly slow start at a big club. Some folk have mentioned him as a potential Liverpool manager... but Roy Hodgson was canned after 6 months by Liverpool! I reckon the same would happen if they appointed Martinez. The only reason Dalglish has got away with murder at Liverpool, is because he's Kenny Dalglish!

Aye no way Villa would embarrass themselves by allowing Martinez the opportunity to turn them down again!

I'll be interested to see how Martinez gets on when he moves from Wigan. For the last two seasons, Wigan have been utterly turd for about 80% of the season... only to completely transform themselves down the final stretch.

Would be interesting to see how Martinez would deal with the pressure of a similarly slow start at a big club. Some folk have mentioned him as a potential Liverpool manager... but Roy Hodgson was canned after 6 months by Liverpool! I reckon the same would happen if they appointed Martinez. The only reason Dalglish has got away with murder at Liverpool, is because he's Kenny Dalglish!

He wouldn't be given the time he would need at a big club in England. Villa for example would expect results to improve instantly and if they don't the fans would be on his back.

Wouldn't be surprised if he went to Spain, after he leaves Wigan.

He wouldn't be given the time he would need at a big club in England. Villa for example would expect results to improve instantly and if they don't the fans would be on his back.

Wouldn't be surprised if he went to Spain, after he leaves Wigan.

I reckon someone will take a chance on him... then live to regret it.

I reckon someone will take a chance on him... then live to regret it.

The reason Martinez struggles is because they are shopping in the bargain basement in EPL terms. I'd say that their budget is probably lower than a good few teams in the Championship. Combine that with high turnover of players and the fact that Wigan have maintained their place in the league again is, by in large, due to the quality of the manager.

The reason Martinez struggles is because they are shopping in the bargain basement in EPL terms. I'd say that their budget is probably lower than a good few teams in the Championship. Combine that with high turnover of players and the fact that Wigan have maintained their place in the league again is, by in large, due to the quality of the manager.

agree with that, and his style of play wont change, I think he'd be perfect for Liverpool.

agree with that, and his style of play wont change, I think he'd be perfect for Liverpool.

Yeah, he has his philosophies and styles of play that he sticks to through thick and thin, which at times may draw criticisms when they are on the end of a hiding, but at the same time the proof is in the end result.

With the right backing at a bigger team he'd do well. Drawing comparisons to Hodgson at Liverpool isn't right either, no manager will ever go in to a Liverpool in that shape again. It was the last 6 months of Gillete and Hicks when talk of administration and the likes was a regular occurrence. It was a cursed job for anyone taking over at that time.

I reckon he'd be a complete disaster. Liverpool expect to be competing for the League, or at the very least a Champions League spot. You need a level of consistency throughout the season to attain those positions.

Shaun Maloney and James McArthur have looked like different players over the past few months, and that's a credit to Martinez - but you're shopping in whole new market when you take control of club like Liverpool. You need to deal in players who'll perform at an elite level on a consistent basis, week in, week out... a few months at the end of the season isn't good enough.

.... and you also need to have a 'Plan B!' Something that Martinez doesn't have! As you say, he only knows one way.

I reckon he'd be a complete disaster. Liverpool expect to be competing for the League, or at the very least a Champions League spot. You need a level of consistency throughout the season to attain those positions.

Shaun Maloney and James McArthur have looked like different players over the past few months, and that's a credit to Martinez - but you're shopping in whole new market when you take control of club like Liverpool. You need to deal in players who'll perform at an elite level on a consistent basis, week in, week out... a few months at the end of the season isn't good enough.

.... and you also need to have a 'Plan B!' Something that Martinez doesn't have! As you say, he only knows one way.

Martinez's plan 'B' was to switch to a 3-4-2-1 formation after 8 straight defeats.

Hasn't went far wrong since implementing plan 'B'.

Martinez's plan 'B' was to switch to a 3-4-2-1 formation after 8 straight defeats.

Hasn't went far wrong since implementing plan 'B'.

I'm referring to a game plan, or making a tactical adjustment. It's fairly obviously that a change of approach is required when you lose 8 in a row! I dare say that even the clowns we've had in charge over the past few years could recognise that.

With Martinez it's all or nothing. For me, his explosive end of season form towards the end of this season and last season, mask his inadequacies as a manager. Wigan have been unadulterated pish for 80% of the last two seasons.

I do think however, someone will give him an opportunity to make me look like a diddy! I just think you need to be able show a level of consistency at the big clubs. You look at Kenny Dalglish this year at Liverpool.... they've produced some storming performances on certain occasions this season - but there has been no level of consistency. You can't afford to be hot and cold if you want to challenge at the right end of the table.

I'm referring to a game plan, or making a tactical adjustment. It's fairly obviously that a change of approach is required when you lose 8 in a row! I dare say that even the clowns we've had in charge over the past few years could recognise that.

With Martinez it's all or nothing. For me, his explosive end of season form towards the end of this season and last season, mask his inadequacies as a manager. Wigan have been unadulterated pish for 80% of the last two seasons.

I do think however, someone will give him an opportunity to make me look like a diddy! I just think you need to be able show a level of consistency at the big clubs. You look at Kenny Dalglish this year at Liverpool.... they've produced some storming performances on certain occasions this season - but there has been no level of consistency. You can't afford to be hot and cold if you want to challenge at the right end of the table.

I'd argue more that Wigan's unadulterated pish for 80% of the last two seasons is them playing at the level you'd expect. It is the other 20% where he has got better out of them that reflects that he is a good manager.

He sets teams up to play good football and largely has an eye for a player. I think he could do a job at a Spurs/Liverpool/Everton level, though he now has a bit of competition from the likes of Lambert and Rodgers if these clubs are looking for young up and coming managers.

I'd argue more that Wigan's unadulterated pish for 80% of the last two seasons is them playing at the level you'd expect. It is the other 20% where he has got better out of them that reflects that he is a good manager.

He sets teams up to play good football and largely has an eye for a player. I think he could do a job at a Spurs/Liverpool/Everton level, though he now has a bit of competition from the likes of Lambert and Rodgers if these clubs are looking for young up and coming managers.

I agree with you to a certain extent. However, take Brendan Rodgers for example. From what I've seen of him, and the way he sets up his teams, I reckon his abilities would be more transferable to a 'big' club. I just watch the way Roberto Martinez goes about things and I just wouldn't trust him at a club like Liverpool.

It's a great point of debate though.... It'll be interesting to see what happens this summer! If Aston Villa appoint a currently employed manager, then it could set off a chain reaction of events. Liverpool might be looking for a new manager some time soon and West Brom are on the hunt too!

Not sure I rate McLeish that highly tbh.

You are not the only one. He has managed to get Villa nearly relegated and the job before that he managed to Birmingham relegated. Both were good enough teams to stay up. His signings in england haven't been the best either. I would avoid like the fucking plague.

He has struggled down south, however his record in general up here was very impressive and remember he had a terrible Huns team at one stage (Capucho, Emerson, Ostenstad etc) and still overcame that Tims team too, so he is capable. His time at Motherwell was a success imo.