Aberdeen City Centre

daytripping

21 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

I've had the misfortune of having been stuck in Aberdeen City Centre the last few days.

What a state, vegetation growing where ever it can grow and where it shouldn't grow. And the junkies, drunks and homeless have fairly taken over, especially that area outside of Markies. What a sad time for a once glorious city centre. 

Some real dregs of society congregate near Markies as they skoof their turps.

If plod can get banning orders in place for ultras wtf can they not do it for these clowns?

34 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

I've had the misfortune of having been stuck in Aberdeen City Centre the last few days.

What a state, vegetation growing where ever it can grow and where it shouldn't grow. And the junkies, drunks and homeless have fairly taken over, especially that area outside of Markies. What a sad time for a once glorious city centre. 

Did they all talk with Swedish accents?

• Site Sponsor
53 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

It’s a shithole and if truth be told, has been for years.

Successive Councils have made a right cunt of it.

I work in town now and TBQH I like it. 

With a bit of imagination I can't see why it couldn't be a lovely European city. 

I was in Iceland last week, Reykjavik is a great town, it just takes a bit of effort I suppose. 

I don't know how to fix it, but I do think a lot of the issue is the move to online commerce, there's just no need for actual shops anymore in a lot of instances. 

How do we repurpose these empty shops for the benefit of the city? It's difficult, because they cost an arm and a leg to rent. 

Potential, as always, is there, but the execution and vision are lacking. 

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, CCB III said:

With a bit of imagination I can't see why it couldn't be a lovely European city. 

I was in Iceland last week, Reykjavik is a great town, it just takes a bit of effort I suppose

I don't know how to fix it, but I do think a lot of the issue is the move to online commerce, there's just no need for actual shops anymore in a lot of instances. 

How do we repurpose these empty shops for the benefit of the city? It's difficult, because they cost an arm and a leg to rent. 

Did you make a big saving flying to a neighbouring country then getting the train onwards to Gothenburg?

3 hours ago, King Street Loon said:

Its the same everywhere I have been recently, bar Edinburgh.

The root causes are the SNP abandoning ring fenced central council funding and freezing council tax for years.

Councils were never lean, efficient, value for money organisations, but they were much better than they are now.

3 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

The root causes are the SNP abandoning ring fenced central council funding and freezing council tax for years.

Councils were never lean, efficient, value for money organisations, but they were much better than they are now.

Yeah the SNP who were in power for about 5% of the decline are responsible for a near global phenomenon. 

7 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

Yeah the SNP who were in power for about 5% of the decline are responsible for a near global phenomenon. 

We are talking about Scotland, not global issues.

SNP have been in power for 15 years and systemically starved Councils of funding throughout that period, even ones controlled by themselves (Glasgow).

Much prefer throwing money away on vanity projects, incompetence and treating themselves.

Glasgow has always had its problems, but in my lifetime its never looked worse than it does at present. 

Susan Aitken tried to blame Margaret Thatcher - out of politics for over 30 years and dead for 10 years -  for the current state of the City, inadvertently showing she thinks (knows?) SNP voters are mongols who would believe anything.

The SNP-Green council wont criticise the SNP-Green government for de-funding it and instead try to squeeze ever more money out of drivers via the LEZ and hugely increased parking charges etc.  

SNP giving away £24m in "climate reparations" purely to allow Humza to portray himself as a "wuruld leedur".

Would that money not be better spent on cleansing and maintenance on our towns and cities?

What about the network of pretend embassies or the never ending jollies for people like Angus Robertson?

To say nothing of the waste on their incompetent business interventions.  The ferries fast approach half a billion pounds.  The over half a billion pounds blown return for under 50 jobs at a smelter plant (instead of the claimed 2,000) and enriching corrupt businessmen at the same time.

Scotland could be brilliant, but its (holyrood) politicians are shite  -self-serving incompetents - and tribal voters will always rush to defend them and make excuses.  It all shows how immature Scotland is politically.

• Upvote 3
23 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

And how do you explain the same decline in towns / cities in Engerland?

Is it not due to just a general decline of footfall in places due to impact of internet shopping and people working from home. 

1 hour ago, Bad_Mobby said:

How many packed lunches did you make?

Or did you eat some of the local delicacies?

Ate some local stuff on the last night. 

Fin Whale- lovely, like a peculiar steak. 

Puffin- awful, more like sushi than bird.

Fermented shark- disgusting, only tried it just to see. But aye, rotten. 

Other than that just ate normal shit, even your sandwiches, burgers etc up there shit all over what we get here. Nae cheap, though. 

Just now, CCB III said:

Other than that just ate normal shit, even your sandwiches, burgers etc up there shit all over what we get here. Nae cheap, though. 

Did you have any decent local beverages? 

33 minutes ago, sigh said:

And how do you explain the same decline in towns / cities in Engerland?

Is it not due to just a general decline of footfall in places due to impact of internet shopping and people working from home. 

England is nothing to do with this discussion.  That's pure deflection.

Google it - every year, without fail, you find there are significant cuts to council funding at every annual Scottish budget, as well as the council tax freeze which lasted about a decade.

Since you ask, I do not agree England has had the same decline.  The last times I have spent time in England - Bournemouth (this year) and York (2021) - I have noted its much cleaner and better maintained that here.  Not without problems, of course, but generally better.

The reason is because politicians there just try do their jobs, they dont have delusions of grandeur about referendums and independence, mythical climate emergencies and leading the world etc.  They tend to be more impressive people (in terms of work background, education etc) too, than the abject nobodies in Holyrood.

Covid related loss of footfall is nothing to do with this issue, although SNP-Green councils (such as Glasgow) seem determined not to bring people back, with increased parking charges, the LEZ - which are all desperate attempts to offset SNP cuts - and plans to demolish the the two big shopping centres (leaving one of the wettest cities in Europe with no major covered shopping facility in its city centre - like, duh).

Just now, Clydeside_Sheep said:

The last times I have spent time in England - Bournemouth (this year) and York (2021) - I have noted its much cleaner and better maintained that here.  Not without problems, of course, but generally better.

The reason is

...that they are tourist cities, like Edinburgh in a much better state than elsewhere in Scotland. 

3 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

...that they are tourist cities, like Edinburgh in a much better state than elsewhere in Scotland. 

I don't agree that explains it all, plus if that were true it would be negligence* as towns and cities should be run primarily for the benefit of residents, not visitors.

*there is some truth in this negligence, for example during the recent cycling event in glasgow residents had significant disruption for no benefit to themselves.  Plus the subway, which usually offers a shit, very limited service, was suddenly running all manner of extended hours for the benefit of visitors.

36 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Really disappointed to learn you aren’t a Too Vegan Red.

3 hours ago, CCB III said:

I was in Iceland last week, Reykjavik is a great town, it just takes a bit of effort I suppose. 

What is every other city centre doing to combat the e-commerce shift? 

whole of Blighty is fucked. The establishment took enough off us through covid to ensure they never have to go in any city centres ever again 

1 hour ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

I don't agree that explains it all, plus if that were true it would be negligence* as towns and cities should be run primarily for the benefit of residents, not visitors.

*there is some truth in this negligence, for example during the recent cycling event in glasgow residents had significant disruption for no benefit to themselves.  Plus the subway, which usually offers a shit, very limited service, was suddenly running all manner of extended hours for the benefit of visitors.

And then no other reasons, it's the main one, you don't see any popular tourist cities/parts of cities in the UK in a state you see the majority of other places.  

13 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

And then no other reasons, it's the main one, you don't see any popular tourist cities/parts of cities in the UK in a state you see the majority of other places.  

Dunno like - Blackpool for example is an absolute shitehole

21 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Iceland is ace. How’s the weather in August? I was there in December and it froze the bollocks off me. 

Much like Aberdeen. Cal' at night but got a fair tan from swimming in the sea and lounging in the hot springs. 

Would like to go back in the winter. But I'd imagine it's more difficult to use those ace wee scooters, some buzz cutting about on them after a few drinks. 

1 hour ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

You don’t think increased tourism/ spending would benefit local residents/ businesses? 

of course there were benefits to bringing a world championships to ecosse. Should’ve b