Darren Mackie

Just did a little research on Dazzler's new team, Phoenix Soccerball FC of Arizona. Closest team to me, at that level, would be the Dayton Dutch Lions, a club run by an outfit we've previously plundered for talent, FC Twente.

Think I'll make the 8 hour round trip to watch The Mackster in his new setting.

Just did a little research on Dazzler's new team, Phoenix Soccerball FC of Arizona. Closest team to me, at that level, would be the Dayton Dutch Lions, a club run by an outfit we've previously plundered for talent, FC Twente.

Think I'll make the 8 hour round trip to watch The Mackster in his new setting.

Punch him in the throat for me would you. :thumbs:

• Upvote 1

I'm feeling the love in the room for the Mack Daddy.

He's in for a bit of a shock, I reckon. Even the amateurs here keep themselves fit... and with Darren's fags and pies regimen, I think he could struggle to make any headway. He's going to be finishing games pechin like a fat bloke on a treadmill.

Most likely I'll be helping him off the fleer, going, "There y'are, Darren. You just sit over there till your eyesight returns."

I'm also thinking about the heat... Darren's your typical pale skinned local loon. Phoenix, Arizona, that could be a bit much for him.

Average temperatures, April through August (when games are played);

April -29c

May -34c

June -40c

July -41c

August -40c

That's going to be brutal for the laddie. I'd have a hard time just walking from one bar to the next in that sort of heat... but he's meant to play Soccerball in it?

• 3 weeks later...

Darren Mackie is sometimes hard to understand.

He says things like "fancy" when his interest is piqued. He pronounces the letter "z" like "zay." And all with a thick Scottish Doric accent.

But none of that matters to new USL Pro team Phoenix FC and its fans. All they want to understand is that "The Dazzler" will score goals.

Mackie, who spent 14 years playing at Scottish Premier League team Aberdeen FC and became Phoenix FC's first signing last week, believes he can do just that. And, of course, live up to his nickname.

"I've always been a quick player, trying to get behind the defense and go from there," he told azcentral sports/ODFC when reached by phone. "My main strength has been my pace. I can play anywhere. I can play up front or wide in midfield. I'm pretty versatile. But my main game is speed so I'm looking to utilize that."

Mackie, 30, scored 69 goals in 364 total appearances, primarily as a forward, for Aberdeen. His best seasons were the 2004-2005 campaign when he totaled 15 goals and in 2006-2007 when he scored 13.

Besides bulging the goal net, Mackie also wants to provide leadership to the expansion team, utilizing all his years playing in Scotland's top division.

"Definitely; I'm 30 now so I guess I count now as a veteran," Mackie said, laughing. "But I still feel young. Obviously, I'll take my experience over there. I've played a lot of games in Scotland, which is a big standard. Yeah, I'll just be going over there and looking to help the younger boys and be a big part of this squad."

Mackie misses being on a team. There weren't any firm offers after his last contract with Aberdeen expired at the end of the 2011-2012 season. At the Scottish transfer deadline day on Aug. 31, there were rumors that he was seen at Ayrshire, Scotland to sign with either Kilmarnock FC of the Scottish Premier League or third-division Ayr United.

He was also rumored to be seen at Murray Park, the training ground of traditional Scottish power Rangers FC, who are now in the Scottish fourth division due to financial problems.

But Mackie had already been talking with Phoenix FC coach David Robertson, who started his senior club career at Aberdeen, about coming to America.

"(Robertson) got in contact in early August and then we worked form there in getting everything sorted out," Mackie said. " He made it clear that he wanted me to come over there and play. And straight away it was something that drew my fancy. And we just worked on it from there. I'm just delighted that it's all done now. Looking forward to coming out there.

"(Phoenix FC) is trying to get into the MLS, which would be fantastic if they could do it. He just said it would be a great place to come and play and he wants me to come out there and I was more than happy to accept.

• 3 weeks later...

Darren Mackie, who spent a better part of 14 years as Aberdeen FC's No. 10, can't wait to come to Phoenix. And he doesn't mind the heat.

There are several things fans wanted to know about Phoenix FC's first signing. And fans got their chance to ask him.

Fans tweeted the questions they wanted to ask Mackie Thursday night and Friday morning to ODFC's twitter handle, @azc_domingo, and included the Twitter hashtag #ODFCaskMackie.

ODFC interviewed Mackie, who is still in his native Scotland, over the phone on Friday. Here are his answers to those questions:

@eekostudio: @azc_domingo Rad! excited to have you here, but why did you choose az??? #ODFCaskMackie

Darren Mackie: It was a fantastic opportunity. (Phoenix FC coach David Robertson) sold me on the whole idea of what Phoenix FC is.

@csepe6: Seems like a lot of Scottish players are coming to ply their trade in the U.S.? Why do you think that is? #ODFCaskMackie

Darren Mackie: I'm not quite, sure to be fair. I don't know whether if it's the change of scenery. That might be what most people feel. Just something different than just doing the normal thing and staying in your own country. People want to branch out and experience a different culture and lifestyle.

@csepe6: Most memorable goal? #ODFCaskMackie

Darren Mackie: The most memorable goal was my 50th one that I scored in the UEFA Cup. It got the club a lot of money. Yeah, that's the one that most people remember me for. So I'll pick that one.

(Note: Watch that goal in today's Moment of Zin below.)

@LFR1881: @azc_domingo what chant should we do for you Darren? Haha #ODFCaskMackie #ODFC

Darren Mackie: I'm trying to think.

@LFR1881: @azc_domingo what chant should we do for you Darren?

Any thoughts on that one?

you look like legoman,

you look like legoman, you look like legoman,

you look like legoman

nanananananananana mackie's fucking off, fucking off, mackie's fucking off.

nanananananananana (the yanks will be singing this after 4 months when he's being released.)

You're shite and you know you are sprang to mind so no wonder he didn't want to remember.

That said, all the best to him. Players like Mackie I want to do well, players like Mulgrew and Kerr I don't.

I agree with you on that. Don't really see the need for the vehement hatred towards the guy, o.k he was admittedly shite and fuck knows how he conned so many new contracts out the club, but least he tried and actually cared about the club, unlike plenty other wage thief's we've had over the years, who don't get half as much abuse.

• Upvote 3

I agree with you on that. Don't really see the need for the vehement hatred towards the guy, o.k he was admittedly shite and fuck knows how he conned so many new contracts out the club, but least he tried and actually cared about the club, unlike plenty other wage thief's we've had over the years, who don't get half as much abuse.

You should check out my Mark McGhee thread.

The fundamental difference being McGhee is a total cock, Gothenburg or not.

the legoman looking gluepot is a wanker aswell. at least mcghee could play. i doubt you'd have seen mcghee smoking 20 a day, cheating to get in nightclubs shouting "do you know who i am" during his playing days. mackie is an absolute prick.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Go on, have a dramatic flounce while you're at it with the over the top language for a *footballer* who didn't play to a level you like.

Despicable? Lordy lordy lordy... :deadhorse:

Yes. Despicable.

A professional footballer who refuses autographs to kids and smokes 20 cigarettes a day is a despicable specimen of a man in my eyes.

He's supposed to be a role model for kids and someone to aspire to.

To refuse kids autographs and have a smoking habit is quite frankly a disgrace.

• Downvote 1