The Difference Between This Season And Last....

Not wanting to get too ahead of myself here, but hopefully our recent good form represents something more than just another false dawn.

What does everyone think the difference has been?

I'm not so sure Craig Brown has changed his mentality particularly. In my opinion, I think the introduction of our two excellent wide players has made the major difference. Fraser and Hayes have both been excellent and finally we have a bit of width and an outlet! Something we've been crying out for, for a number of years! When he's played McGinn has also looked quite useful. I'm not convinced by him as a player, but one thing he has added is a bit of pace going forward. I'll add Osbourne to the list too. Having him fit for most of this season has made a huge impact. His style of play balances and complements those of the aforementioned ball players.

(1) Width, (2) balance and (3) pace going forward. We had none of these things last season.... in my opinion that's the difference.

Moving forward, once we get Milsom back in the team we are going to be in very good shape. Like many others, I suspect that if we can keep him fit and playing consistently in the middle of the park, he could be one of our best players. Certainly he has the ability to add a bit of creativity to the middle of the park.

If Craig wants to improve us further, then he needs to immediately address the biggest problem area on the pitch: Goalkeeper. The current incumbent just isn't up to it and also represents the last remaining relic of previous poisonous regimes.

Hopefully Vernons goal will be the first of many more to come, but I still think we can do better up there. Fallon is a dead weight and I'd like to see him moved on. If we can get rid of Fallon (along with Megginsons wage), maybe there might be some room to manoeuvre in the Christmas tranfer window?

Belief, belief and belief

and width.

Belief and width

and creative talent

Belief width and creative talent

and a competitive league

Belief, width, creative talent and a competitive league

and full backs

Belief, width, creative talent, competitive league and full backs

But apart from all those what have AFC done for us this season?

Two centre halfs that don't shite it at the first opportunity.

OK OK Belief, width..........bored now!

• Upvote 1

Wasn't at the game but I think the main difference is that this time when we went one up, we kept attacking & (from the sounds of it) we were most likely to get next goal & we did. So rather than defend a fkn one goal lead, we went for it & tried to put the game beyond the other team, something we'd rarely (if ever) have tried last season, or anytime under Brown. I hope he realises that this is the best way forward & makes full use of the players & team he now has :crossfingers:

This team is more than good enough to be winning most games by a couple of goals & seeing them out then.

No more defending one goal leads & ending up with draws, or worse please.

Other main difference is we have players & team that will not allow their heads down once they go behind & that comes from players like Anderson & also Reynolds etc.

:applause:

Wasn't at the game but I think the main difference is that this time when we went one up, we kept attacking & (from the sounds of it) we were most likely to get next goal & we did. So rather than defend a fkn one goal lead, we went for it & tried to put the game beyond the other team, something we'd rarely (if ever) have tried last season, or anytime under Brown. I hope he realises that this is the best way forward & makes full use of the players & team he now has :crossfingers:

This team is more than good enough to be winning most games by a couple of goals & seeing them out then.

No more defending one goal leads & ending up with draws, or worse please.

Other main difference is we have players & team that will not allow their heads down once they go behind & that comes from players like Anderson & also Reynolds etc.

:applause:

Spot on there. Tbh i actually couldn't believe it when i heard that on the radio, a breath of fresh air as you say rather than defending a lead. We must continue like that :thumbup1:

We have a right good blend of experienced players an young talent, all pulling in the same direction (Motherwell game) and the whole team seem to get on well with each other. A problem with the Aberdeen teams in the past was that were were easily bullied of the ball, especially in midfield by the like of Hearts & United (more so when Levin was their manager) but that's not happening now and we are now able to dictate the play.

We still have the problem as shown in the St. Johnstone game, in that we were 2 up and cruising but they pulled back a dodgy goal and then we were hanging on, which is typical. This is where we need to be more clinical with our chances and put as many away as we can, so if the opposition do score, were not shitting ourselves.

We have a right good blend of experienced players an young talent, all pulling in the same direction (Motherwell game) and the whole team seem to get on well with each other. A problem with the Aberdeen teams in the past was that were were easily bullied of the ball, especially in midfield by the like of Hearts & United (more so when Levin was their manager) but that's not happening now and we are now able to dictate the play.

We still have the problem as shown in the St. Johnstone game, in that we were 2 up and cruising but they pulled back a dodgy goal and then we were hanging on, which is typical. This is where we need to be more clinical with our chances and put as many away as we can, so if the opposition do score, were not shitting ourselves.

We did not have a problem in that game at all, other than dodgey officials.

We had done more than enough to put that game to bed but Vernon was robbed of one certain goal & the other was 50/50 & imo should have gone the way of the striker as they're supposed to get the benefit.

Also should have had a pen for a hand ball deflection round the post.

We would have been (& should have been) at least 4 nil up

Also they were very late in the game to protect Fraser & Hayes (especially Fraser) from their boot boys.

The St Johnstone game imo Aberdeen done everything right, especially in the second half.

Yes we ended up praying for FT but that was only because of poor officials.

We did not have a problem in that game at all, other than dodgey officials.

We had done more than enough to put that game to bed but Vernon was robbed of one certain goal & the other was 50/50 & imo should have gone the way of the striker as they're supposed to get the benefit.

Also should have had a pen for a hand ball deflection round the post.

We would have been (& should have been) at least 4 nil up

Also they were very late in the game to protect Fraser & Hayes (especially Fraser) from their boot boys.

The St Johnstone game imo Aberdeen done everything right, especially in the second half.

Yes we ended up praying for FT but that was only because of poor officials.

Aye we were brilliant that day and you're right, particularly Vernon's "second" goal which was definitely onside

i feel we are a a team that now has self belief, for the whole of the MM regime, the tail end of the OAFs regime and the start of the current regime the self belief and confidence in each other and as a team was sorely lacking,

We have also almsot completely eradicated the cliques, created by the OAF and totally mis managed by McGhee, the players now have far nmore respect for themselves, the club and the fans something that the likes of Weasel faced fuck Kerr, McDonald, Aulko and Mulgrew never had and were never encouraged to adopt, but with the likes of Anderson and Rae to lifelong Don's fans, and good pros like Reynolds, Naismith, Vernon and Osborne will ensure that that attitude is not allowed to poison the squad again.

All in all the omens look good i have never been this up beat about a DEons team since the days of Bett, Mason, Gillhaus, Nicholas etc

the main difference between this year and last is the wingers we have and credit where it's due to craig brown for a) signing johny hayes, and b) unleashing ryan fraser and giving him game time.

hopefully vernon will now go on a run, because if he does we will be flying.

Improvements have been made, but I still stand firm in my intentions to reserve final judgement at Xmas on Brown's suitability for continuing in the role. We have improved, but there are still question marks for sure. For one, his persistence with Clangers is tantamount to a near-sacking-offence if ever there was one. How this liability has been allowed to remain is beyond me. Even a sympathy vote is insufficient mitigating circumstance. CLANGERS MUST GO!

We also have to maintain a much higher goals per game ratio and Brown's hesitance to use more attack-minded tactics does NOT bode well for that. Yes, we are well-marshalled at the back. Yes, we are hard to beat. Nevertheless, we need to score goals to win games and while we look good in 3rd, if we had been as good in front of goal as we have been at the back, we'd be top of the league right now.

Finally, when we analyse the improvement under Brown, we should compare it to Motherwell under McCall and Hibs resurgence this season... suddenly our recent renaissance doesn't look quite that great, does it? OK, things are looking up, but we must do better.

• Downvote 1

Improvements have been made, but I still stand firm in my intentions to reserve final judgement at Xmas on Brown's suitability for continuing in the role. We have improved, but there are still question marks for sure. For one, his persistence with Clangers is tantamount to a near-sacking-offence if ever there was one. How this liability has been allowed to remain is beyond me. Even a sympathy vote is insufficient mitigating circumstance. CLANGERS MUST GO!

We also have to maintain a much higher goals per game ratio and Brown's hesitance to use more attack-minded tactics does NOT bode well for that. Yes, we are well-marshalled at the back. Yes, we are hard to beat. Nevertheless, we need to score goals to win games and while we look good in 3rd, if we had been as good in front of goal as we have been at the back, we'd be top of the league right now.

Finally, when we analyse the improvement under Brown, we should compare it to Motherwell under McCall and Hibs resurgence this season... suddenly our recent renaissance doesn't look quite that great, does it? OK, things are looking up, but we must do better.

You're a glass half-empty kind of guy, aren't you?

Don't quite get this clangers is a catastrophe when with the exception of Celtic we have the lowest goals against (8 vs7) in fact 9 games in us and Celtic are the only teams with less than 10 goals against.

He must be doing something right - or if not be slightly less of a worry than a liability. A liability would be losing us games or points

Only in 3 of 9 games have we lost goals and points - Celtic Motherwell and ICT.

Think liability is a wee bit strong.

You're a glass half-empty kind of guy, aren't you?

No, I just happen to be fortunate to have been following AFC since before the StewRAT Milne era, when expectations were a little higher than the coveted Top 6 trophy and 2 semi-finals in the Cups were NOT considered "success".

Brown has had sufficient time in the job now to build what can justifiably be called HIS team, but the progress has been very slow indeed and even then, only incremental. After all, we are just one win above mid-table mediocrity and had we drawn, as opposed to won, either of the last 2 games, this thread would in all probability not exist, with a Brown Must Go (or sentiments to that effect) ditty residing in it's place.

That you failed to even debate my points does you no justice. I'm sure you're capable of better than that. Try again.

Don't quite get this clangers is a catastrophe when with the exception of Celtic we have the lowest goals against (8 vs7) in fact 9 games in us and Celtic are the only teams with less than 10 goals against.

He must be doing something right - or if not be slightly less of a worry than a liability. A liability would be losing us games or points

Only in 3 of 9 games have we lost goals and points - Celtic Motherwell and ICT.

Think liability is a wee bit strong.

Langifled is a liability we are just lucky at the moment that he has a decent defence in front of him. the celtic goal cost us points, the hibs goal didn't as we got the goal back, some seem to think he could have done better on Saturday but I'm not so sure myself as I have only seen it once.

right now his poor keeping isn't costing points due to us being much better outfield but he is still making howlers,

• Upvote 1

So he is not costing us points but is a liability - sorry don't understand that

He has cost us 2pts out of 14 lost points this season

Anderson gave away the penalty vs ict and lost higdon for wells first

I wouldn't call him a liability in any shape or form but he has lost us 4pts

So if langfield is a liability what do you call Anderson?

You may not like him, you may think he could do better but the statement that he is a liability this season doesn't stand up to scrutiny

If the rumours re brown are correct the goalie with greater potential of being a liability is brown as he could affect team morale

You may not like him, you may think he could do better but the statement that he is a liability this season doesn't stand up to scrutiny

If the rumours re brown are correct the goalie with greater potential of being a liability is brown as he could affect team morale

he doesn't need to cost us points to be a poor keeper, its not hard to understand.

Has Russell anderson continued to make howlers during his entire career with us?

are you langfields agent? he cannot be described as anything other than a liability.

• Upvote 1

Jocky Scott is the difference...since he arrived 14th Sept and took charge of coaching...we have been on a steady climb...I knew it had fu*k all to do with Broon

15 Sep Inverness CT 1-1 Aberdeen

23 Sep Aberdeen 3-3 Motherwell

26 Sep Dunfermline 0-1 Aberdeen

29 Sep Aberdeen 2-1 Hibernian

6 Oct Kilmarnock 1-3 Aberdeen

Jocky Scott is the difference...since he arrived 14th Sept and took charge of coaching...we have been on a steady climb...I knew it had fu*k all to do with Broon

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

you should be president of the wanker club

Even though you've just noticed :laughing: