I Drink Therefore I Am... A Clever Bastard

Ke1t

Recent studies in British and the Americans have concluded that smarter people tend to drink more than the "very dull".

The following graph shows the association between childhood intelligence (grouped into five "cognitive classes": "very dull" - IQ < 75; "dull" - 75 < IQ < 90; "normal" - 90 < IQ < 110; "bright" - 110 < IQ < 125; "very bright" - IQ > 125) and the latent factor for the frequency of alcohol consumption. The latter variable is constructed from a large number of indicators for the frequency of alcohol consumption throughout adult life and standardized to have a mean of 0 and a standard deviation of 1.0. The data come from the National Child Development Study (NCDS) in the United Kingdom. There is a clear monotonic association between childhood intelligence (measured before the age of 16) and the frequency of alcohol consumption in their 20s, 30s, and 40s. "Very bright" British children grow up to consume alcohol nearly one full standard deviation more frequently than their "very dull" classmates.

48915-37301.jpg

It is important to note that both income and education, as well as childhood social class and parents' education, are controlled in multiple regression analyses of these data from the US and the UK. It means that it is not because more intelligent people occupy higher-paying, more important jobs that require them to socialize and drink with their business associates that they drink more alcohol. It appears to be their intelligence itself, rather than correlates of intelligence, that inclines them to drink more.

Now what this is sort of saying, in an abstract and tenuous kind of a way, is that the guys you often see lying in a puddle of their own pish on Union Street are, quite probably, considerably smarter than the people hurrying past them to and from work.

Personally I reckon drinking is just a mechanism for dealing with people who can barely muster the wit to tie their own shoelaces... which seems to be an ever-increasing number of people, over here at least.

Anyway, yay alcohol.

1987030.gif

That must mean our resident teetotaller Tup is 'very dull'

I'm not teetotal I just don't drink very often as I have so many other things to do.

I'll certainly have a pint or two if I'm going to the fitba but no more than that, I hate drinking for the sole purpose of getting pished, to me there has to be a social element to it or it's a pointless activity.

• Upvote 1

I'm not teetotal I just don't drink very often as I have so many other things to do.

I'll certainly have a pint or two if I'm going to the fitba but no more than that, I hate drinking for the sole purpose of getting pished, to me there has to be a social element to it or it's a pointless activity.

tup,

I have a feeling you were a heavy drinker at one stage, and you were always pished, and probably falling oot with many?

tup,

I have a feeling you were a heavy drinker at one stage, and you were always pished, and probably falling oot with many?

Not really min, I've never been a problem drinker or anything like that, but I went through a spell of massive binge drinking at weekends coupled with having a real propensity for violent episodes at the back of it.

I'd wake up and remember nothing about it which was probably worse than remembering the whole lot.

I relied on others to fill in the blanks and much as they tried to make it sound like a laugh by saying I was acting like Chuck Norris, it wisna really very funny for those on the receiving end I don't imagine.

So I don't drink to the extent where the red mist comes down anymore.

Not really min, I've never been a problem drinker or anything like that, but I went through a spell of massive binge drinking at weekends coupled with having a real propensity for violent episodes at the back of it.

I'd wake up and remember nothing about it which was probably worse than remembering the whole lot.

I relied on others to fill in the blanks and much as they tried to make it sound like a laugh by saying I was acting like Chuck Norris, it wisna really very funny for those on the receiving end I don't imagine.

So I don't drink to the extent where the red mist comes down anymore.

basically fit i was saying! :thumbup1:

so how can you control it now? a few then hame? just avoid it? babysham?

basically fit i was saying! :thumbup1:

so how can you control it now? a few then hame? just avoid it? babysham?

I'm barred from most places that serve alcohol around here, especially the late night establishments, not a hope of getting in.

So perhaps it was forced on me, but it's been a good thing, otherwise something really bad might have happened by now.

I'm barred from most places that serve alcohol around here, especially the late night establishments, not a hope of getting in.

So perhaps it was forced on me, but it's been a good thing, otherwise something really bad might have happened by now.

honestly. what like?

its pretty bad when drink does that to you.

i used to get in unbelievable shapes, sometimes still do, but luckily ive managed to avoid scraps.

honestly. what like?

its pretty bad when drink does that to you.

i used to get in unbelievable shapes, sometimes still do, but luckily ive managed to avoid scraps.

Like I'd end up killing someone as at one stage I had a hitlist of people I felt had done me wrong and I was ready for taking them down one by one.

Probably would have ended with me being locked up.

Like I'd end up killing someone as at one stage I had a hitlist of people I felt had done me wrong and I was ready for taking them down one by one.

Probably would have ended with me being locked up.

now i think your on the wind up.

little black book. your wicks answer to jackie charlton.

its a wonder peiopel survive a heavy night out.

heavy drinking sessions just make you opblivious to whats going on around you.

Yes, really.

But it was all caused by taking too much drink.

If I don't drink, I'm fine.

Did you click the Really? link?

All of this going mental when drunk pish is just that. Pish.

It's an excuse for behaving like an arsehole. If I'm drunk and make a cunt of myself for whatever reason it's nae the drink that's done it. It's me.

Anyone getting themselves in bother when they're drunk suggests they have other issues which they cannot control and lash out because they're more liberated with the booze in their system.

To blame violence on drink is a hunesque excuse.

Man the fuck up, have a few pints and control the obvious issues they have under the surface is my advice.

I get violent when I'm drunk. What a load of bollocks.

Weak minds lash out when they aren't working at full speed.

Strong minds remain focused and calm. :dc:

You need some brain training by the sound of it. I'll send you some books that will help.

Did you click the Really? link?

All of this going mental when drunk pish is just that. Pish.

It's an excuse for behaving like an arsehole. If I'm drunk and make a cunt of myself for whatever reason it's nae the drink that's done it. It's me.

Anyone getting themselves in bother when they're drunk suggests they have other issues which they cannot control and lash out because they're more liberated with the booze in their system.

To blame violence on drink is a hunesque excuse.

Man the fuck up, have a few pints and control the obvious issues they have under the surface is my advice.

I get violent when I'm drunk. What a load of bollocks.

Weak minds lash out when they aren't working at full speed.

Strong minds remain focused and calm. :dc:

You need some brain training by the sound of it. I'll send you some books that will help.

pot.....

I know why it happens, and I know how to control it.

I went out a few weeks ago with a pal I'd not seen for ages.

The evening ended in a punch-up.

It's grimly inevitable.

Sometimes it's my fault, sometimes not.

Either way, I avoid it.

Fair enough. It sounds like even if you stay sober you'd end up in bother so it's maybe not the drink that does it but a built in killing mechanism.

The fact you think you're never wrong certainly won't help come confrontation time. Being unable or unwilling to back down also won't be of much use to your violent thoughts.

EPK and I would still be able to knock you clean out with one punch so when the pool competition comes along feel free to stay sober or get wasted as the end results will be the same.

You lose at pool and get a kicking for your troubles. :king:

I like how you say 'EPK and I' :laughing:

Two against one probably gives you a glimmer of a chance.

I'm simply unable to leave things uncontested if challenged on something which is probably a character attribute/flaw dependent on circumstance.

Mix that with alcohol and, in the words of Millertime, BOOM!

Anything can happen, and often does.

Lots of ale just makes me jolly, and elevates a few 6/10s to 8 or 9s.

People who get angry or fancy a dust up are generally arseholes, and should not drink ale if they can't handle it.

So, fair play to you tup.

I'm fine after a few pints but there just comes a certain stage when things change, it's usually after about 8 drinks.

There will probably be a medical explanation for that, at the point where the drink is making me lose control of things.

After that, it's open season.

It's happened too many times to be coincidence, but I'm well aware of my potential for pissing others off severely once I reach that stage.

I like how you say 'EPK and I' :laughing:

Two against one probably gives you a glimmer of a chance.

I'm simply unable to leave things uncontested if challenged on something which is probably a character attribute/flaw dependent on circumstance.

Mix that with alcohol and, in the words of Millertime, BOOM!

Anything can happen, and often does.

Aye. EPK and I........would still be able to knock you clean out with one punch.

Meaning either of us would be capable of this. Not that we'd have to team up.

The dust up will most likely happen when we discuss the rules of the competition. You come out with some guff about the white being placed anywhere on the table after a foul, EPK or I disagree, you get angry and bang down you go crumpled to the deck before you've got time to think.

Harcus meanwhile is looking at the bar tariff for spelling mistakes and misses all of the action and returns to the table to find you cowering under it fearful for your life.

Harcus meanwhile is looking at the bar tariff for spelling mistakes and misses all of the action and returns to the table to find you cowering under it fearful for your life.

you mean harcus has actually left behind, albeit temporarily, his island life for this?

well i never.

• Downvote 1